Why my hang glider-model does not glide?

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

Why my hang glider-model does not glide?

Postby Drachenbauer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello

I tried to simulate the flight of a hangglider.

I created three hang glider-shapes (straight line and two different wing-profiles, a thin one and a higher curved one, as sail-shapes).
The sail from the side and a control-bar below it.
Than i changed the density of theese parts to a value just slightly havier than the air in theese simulations.
As last step i attached Stella from my Angry Birds marbles as the pilot (because she realy flies a hang glider in one episode of her own toon-series).
The Pilot is the havyest part of the model.

Algodoo Scene hang glider-test.png
(5.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet

But than i nuticed a wired behavior of theese models:
They fall straight down (just tilting their front a bit downwards) instead of gliding forward like a real hang glider...

Is Algodoo unable to simulate the airflow around wing-profiles to change falling directions this way?

i also tried to simulate one of theese sail-shapes as a kite, attatched to the ground with a kite-string (instead of a control-bar with a pilot), but it just fell down to the ground, even, if I activated the strongest possible wind in theese simulations.
Last edited by Drachenbauer on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drachenbauer

Re: Why my hang glider-model does not glide?

Postby Ken3344 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Yeah, I don't think Algodoo is that advanced to simulate that type of stuff. Sorry. :(
Hello my name is Kenlimepie. I'm an Algodoo Enthusiast, and Marble Racer. I run a Youtube channel which is about Algodoo Marble Racing, but I am not afraid to design new ideas in this program. https://www.youtube.com/c/kenlimepie
Ken3344

Postby Drachenbauer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:02 pm

It´s also physics, so i thaught, it can
Drachenbauer

Postby FRA32 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm

That type of physics is called aerodynamis, which would need an entire software of its own to compute, so if you want to simulate gliding, you gotta use scripts to manually achieve this effect somehow.
FRA32

Postby Drachenbauer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:04 pm

What scripts will do this?
Drachenbauer

Postby FRA32 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:56 pm

As I said, you need to figure this out yourself. Scripting means programming things so that the result behaves as you like. If you dont have experience with scripting, aerodynamic stuff will likely be impossible for you.
FRA32

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:13 am

If you look at some of my "flying" scenes you can see some of the things I have done to make things "Glide" in Algodoo. Its not real aerodynamics but it is somewhat possible to make things "fly". Also under the user name "Kilinich" look for his K-wing that makes things "Fly" in Algodoo. Heres links to a couple of my scenes, I like the helicopter one most. I usually make a control panel to control the objects in my scenes and they are often transparent or hidden behind some of the scenery in the scene, they can help you to see some of how I fake the flying thing.
( Algobox user "wild bill" Helicopter..... http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=74544
Air plane http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=176977
Wild Bill

Return to Help / Bug reports