(SOLVED) Algodoo limited RAM issues

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo, have found a bug or need in-game help - this is it!

(SOLVED) Algodoo limited RAM issues

Postby Tug » Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 am

I use Algodoo to do very advanced animation and digital art using high quality textures and hundreds upon thousands of polygons.as my skills increase, Algodoo cooperates less and less. from sudden frame drops to the deadly "Out Of Memory" error occurring way too often. this is due to the limitations set by the Algodoo developers, such as only 1 core cpu usage, and even worse, the 1.5gig ram limit that constantly destroys my work. I am desperate for a solution as Algodoo is a big part in my life.

My Computer Specifications:
I7-7700k
Nvidia GTX 1080TI
32gig ballistix ram

i would love if you all could help me resolve these issues for good, wether it be some sort of patch or even commands to help Algodoo understand and use the potential of my PC, especially the RAM, as that is the worst problem i am currently having. hopefully a solution that can benefit both mac and windows computers, as i own both
-Thanks in Advance
Last edited by Tug on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug

Re: Algodoo limited RAM issues

Postby The Linkage » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 am

Ahahahaha you are basically talking about a 32 bit abandonware program here pal. This would need a rewrite and even that way, it would be much more random due to 64-bit, parallel processing with more threads would induce a lot of errors on the physics
The Linkage

Postby Kilinich » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Thant's right, save your work from time to time and restart algodoo should do the trick)
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby Tug » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:34 pm

@The Linkage
@Kilinich

this post is pretty old, and i have found out a great way to enhance this "abandonware"
there is something called the 4 gigabyte patch. i installed it and applied it to Algodoo, and now it can handle up to 3x than it could without the patch. ive run a few tests, and its acually really hard to get algodoo to run out of memory before the cpu decides that it cant take it anymore. ive also found some other ways to reduce Algodoo's usage of resources, such as restarting Algodoo, especially when jumping from scene to scene. Finally, Algodoo is usable again!

Heres the patch if you need it! Works on almost all x86 programs (not for mac tho, sorry)
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Tug

Re: (SOLVED) Algodoo limited RAM issues

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 pm

lmiller7January 31, 2009 at 3:55 AM

The article is largely, although not entirely, correct. But be aware that the change mentioned here has NOTHING to do with physical memory. The "Large Address" is virtual memory space, not physical.

Under 32 bit windows an application has access to 2GB of VIRTUAL memory space. 64 bit Windows makes 4GB available to applications. Without the change mentioned an application will only be able to access 2GB.

This was not an arbitrary restriction. Most 32 bit applications simply can not cope with a larger than 2GB address space. The switch mentioned indicates to the system that it is able to cope. If this switch is manually set most 32 bit applications will crash in 64 bit environment.

In some cases the switch may be useful. But don't be surprised if it crashes.

Larry Miller
Microsoft MCSA
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Return to Help / Bug reports