[Closed] ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!!

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

[Closed] ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!!

Postby crytek » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:18 am

TOURNAMENT FULL! NO MORE ROOM FOR NEW PLAYERS! VIDEO COMING SOON...

NEW RULES:
Weapons ARE allowed to be bigger than half a meter, as long as they stay within the boundary box.
Any mechanisms that are within the edges of your bots body can collide with any collision groups you want, as long as those pieces never go outside the edge of your bots body.

Hey guys, I'm back with the 4th tournament! Also, I want to say sorry to all of those who I acted immature to back when I used this forum a lot. Trust me, I'm past that stage.

Now that thats said, the rules are going to be the same as they were for the 3rd tournament. Just download the scene "Algobots Tournament 4 Garage" and read the rules in the black box and build your bot in the red square, then save the scene and send it to me by commenting on this post with the link to the scene.

The first 8 people to send me correctly made bots will be entered in the tournament.

For those of you who do not know what the Algobots Tournament is, in a nutshell it is a battlebots tournament within Algodoo. I thought of the idea, so I decided to give it a try, and luckily people liked it. There are 3 rounds. It starts with 2 peoples bots, and they try to knock each other off of the stage. If you fall off your own side, you lose that round, and then it moves onto the next 2 bots for the same round. Once it goes through all 8 bots, the remaining 4 survivors move onto round 2, and the remaining 2 survivors from round 2 move onto the final round. It is all recorded by me and uploaded to YouTube for everyone to see. You can check out the previous 3 tournament videos below (the first tournament was only 4 bots. It wasn't until after that tournament that I switched it to 8).

Algobots Tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQ74qdmx6o
Algobots Tournament 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEEiR_3dGl4
Algobots Tournament 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IkhAUbEP-U

The video for this 4th tournament will be a lot more well done than all the previous ones, since my editing skills have greatly increased over the years.

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=88280

Competitors

HenrikUp

faytree

pnvv

TheTinyTerror

AtomikB
Last edited by crytek on Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am, edited 13 times in total.
crytek

Re: ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!!

Postby crytek » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:26 am

... No one wants to play?
crytek

Postby electronicboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:02 am

*here
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby pnvv » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Can we use AI, if that's even possible?

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby electronicboy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I think the: No Thyme/scripting rule kills any AI ideas
electronicboy

Postby crytek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:00 pm

pnvv wrote:Can we use AI, if that's even possible?

I never really understood exactly what AI is, but if its under the same category as scripting, then no. Sorry =/
crytek

Postby pnvv » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Well that's just fine cause I suck at scripting. I'm more mechanically focused, and I could probably do pretty well at this.

Just as a suggestion: Mabye you could introduce a hinge break limit rule? So the robots get gradually beat up as they battle?

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby crytek » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:25 am

pnvv wrote:Just as a suggestion: Mabye you could introduce a hinge break limit rule? So the robots get gradually beat up as they battle?

I thought of that, and tried to think of a way to introduce that into this tournament, but it seems like it would be too chaotic, like if a big wheel broke, it would send the bot flying.
crytek

Postby faytree » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 am

crytek wrote:
pnvv wrote:Just as a suggestion: Mabye you could introduce a hinge break limit rule? So the robots get gradually beat up as they battle?

I thought of that, and tried to think of a way to introduce that into this tournament, but it seems like it would be too chaotic, like if a big wheel broke, it would send the bot flying.

iiyup,i agree! :thumbup:
waiting for semester break to come...
faytree

Postby pnvv » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:08 pm

It would only add to the hilarity, when a wheel is spinning at 400 rpm and breaks free, chaos may ensue.. :D

I already built one but the in game algobox uploading system is being really glitchy. If only I knew where Algodoo saved it's scenes I might be able to participate in this...

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby electronicboy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:13 pm

just remembered the beginner method: open the load scene page, and where it says /Algodoo/scenes, there should be a button which looks like an arrow.
finder should open with your scenes folder, on the Algobox upload page, just drag the file over the button which lets you select a file.
electronicboy

Postby crytek » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am

pnvv wrote:I already built one but the in game algobox uploading system is being really glitchy. If only I knew where Algodoo saved it's scenes I might be able to participate in this...

Have you tried typing in the name of the scene in the search menu for everything on your computer?

Guys, could you possibly help spread word of this contest around? At this pace its not gonna go anywhere.
crytek

Postby pnvv » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 am

crytek wrote:Guys, could you possibly help spread word of this contest around? At this pace its not gonna go anywhere.

Well, I at least pushed it a few feet forward :D

I actually have quite a few friends that do algodoo so I might tell them.

Here's my entry: http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=89221

Crytek, also please enter the one in the link. I uploaded another one but it sucked so pick the one above, it's the updated version.

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby crytek » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 am

Everything about it is good, but for some reason when I save it as a component (phunlet) and import it into another scene, the hidden spring loaded contraption activates right when you push play. Can you work on that and reupload it after you fix it?
crytek

Postby pnvv » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 am

crytek wrote:

Everything about it is good, but for some reason when I save it as a component (phunlet) and import it into another scene, the hidden spring loaded contraption activates right when you push play. Can you work on that and reupload it after you fix it?

I had that problem too. I will raise the hinge breaking strength and upload it again. It's only supposed to activate when something hits the black box and breaks the hinge.

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby pnvv » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:37 am

Ok, here it is. Should be fixed now.

And also, click "move selected to front" on the blue trapezoid thing when you post this on Youtube, it'll look much better that way.

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=89224

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby crytek » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:00 am

pnvv wrote:Ok, here it is. Should be fixed now.

And also, click "move selected to front" on the blue trapezoid thing when you post this on Youtube, it'll look much better that way.

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=89224

Alright, cool. It still had the same problem, so I just upped the strength of the hinge to 70 rather than 60. Is that alright?
crytek

Postby pnvv » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:30 pm

That's fine, as long as it still works correctly. (i. e. the spring loaded thing deploys as soon as something nudges the black box)

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby crytek » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:28 pm

pnvv wrote:That's fine, as long as it still works correctly. (i. e. the spring loaded thing deploys as soon as something nudges the black box)

it has to nudge it a little harder, but the other bots are heavy enough to activate it.
crytek

Postby pnvv » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:08 pm

crytek wrote:it has to nudge it a little harder, but the other bots are heavy enough to activate it.

Yeah, I built it so even the lightest bots could activate it, but then that may have screwed it up a little in your case. It works better on heavier bots but won't throw them as far.

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Re: ALGOBOTS TOURNAMENT 4!!! (still need 5 more players)

Postby crytek » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:10 am

Well, it doesn't look like any more people are interested =/
crytek

Postby pnvv » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:36 am

Hey, maybe just reduce it to 4 bots so we'll only need 1 more person? :D

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby TheTinyTerror » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:23 pm

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=90984

This is the code for my robot, Spike. He is very fast and with his weapon system, 3 spinning 'javelins' on each side, he can literally rip up blocks. I tested him. He's good. 8-)
Do you seriously need to ask?
TheTinyTerror

Postby TheTinyTerror » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:28 pm

pnvv wrote:Hey, maybe just reduce it to 4 bots so we'll only need 1 more person? :D

But that means there would be less bots than the last 2 seasons...
TheTinyTerror

Postby TheTinyTerror » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Hey Crytek, can you tell me if Spike is good for the contest? I also made him so he can run both ways up 8-) No need for self righting, it's built in.
TheTinyTerror

Next

Return to Contests