AP Physics Teacher new to Algodoo

Introduce yourself to the Algodoo community!

AP Physics Teacher new to Algodoo

Postby mhsphysics » Sun May 25, 2014 5:54 am

Hello all. After 30 years in the pulp and paper industry I retired and became a physics teacher at a Title 1 (high % of low income students) school and just completed my fourth year. For the last two years I taught AP Physics in addition to general physics.

This year the College Board has completely redone the AP Physics curriculum. AP Physics B has been split into two courses, AP Physics 1 (Newtonian mechanics, electrostatics, electric circuits, and mechanical waves) and AP Physics 2 (electromagnetism, light (electromagnetic waves and physical optics), fluids, thermodynamics, nuclear, and modern physics). The framework has also changed to a more inquiry based approach.

To be frank, my school forces unprepared and low ability students into AP classes with the thought that by challenging them with more rigorous coursework they will respond appropriately. This has worked for a few, but has failed miserably for most. But the school gets a lot of national recognition for the number of students enrolled in AP (not the number who pass the AP test which is only about 10%). The redesign of the curriculum is likely to make this worse. Although the content is spread out to a more reasonable pace, the inquiry model assumes a different set of students than mine. But, I'm going to do my best as always. I really want these kids to succeed - not just passing a test - but developing an appreciation of the world as described by physics.

Algodoo seems to be a perfect match for what we are trying to accomplish. I have been through the tutorials, but I still find the program to be quirky (but brilliant). I get frustrated when I can't find the answer I need and although I have programmed in the past, I will need help getting up to speed on scripting. I have about eight weeks to become the expert my students need as they have questions about the product.

So, I look forward to interacting with you on this forum. Please be patient if I ask a question that's been answered before and just point me in the right direction. I hope to be able repay your kindness by helping other newbies in the future.

Thanks, MHSphysics
mhsphysics

Re: AP Physics Teacher new to Algodoo

Postby Kilinich » Sun May 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Great initiative. Will help if i can. :thumbup:
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Re: AP Physics Teacher new to Algodoo

Postby dustville » Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 pm

welcome :thumbup:
i will try to help you if you need any help
dustville

Return to Introduction