2.1.0 beta

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

Re: 2.1.0 beta

Postby badboy193 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am

Beta 6:

* Added simulation frequency slider to options

THX ! Bullet time available ! Awesome feature :D
badboy193

Postby emilk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 am

Uploaded b7, which should use less memory.
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Postby The Linkage » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 pm

less memory? The GUI shows up as lines, and it goes at less than 5 frames per minute.
I can't load any scene, nor play it, tried to delete config.cfg but it didn't work.

Epic Fail for me.

help please...
The Linkage

Postby emilk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm

The Linkage wrote:less memory? The GUI shows up as lines, and it goes at less than 5 frames per minute.
I can't load any scene, nor play it, tried to delete config.cfg but it didn't work.

Is this b7 only, or same with the other betas? Try b4 for instance:

http://www.algodoo.com/download/Algodoo ... -Win32.exe

If it is general to all 2.1.0 betas - could it be you are on old hardware? 2.1.0 has a completely rewritten rendering pipeline which now requires shaders (used to be an option). Try updating your drivers. And give me the Logfile.txt!
emilk

Postby Kilinich » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm

All 2.1 rare problem - sometimes I have visual low fps - like 10-15.
Algodoo info and diag shows 50-60 fps but I now the difference, not even 30 on screen, it lags like hell.
I try to run "fraps" to measure fps but if that additional indicator on screen - everything fine.
Switching from/to fullscreen helps sometimes too. Can't catch it 100%.
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby mugsy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:20 pm

v2.1.0 requires a graphics card with shaders? It works on my work laptop which doesn't have a graphics card with shaders but this may explain the constant crashing when I exit the program or load an algodoo file by double clicking it in windows explorer.
mugsy

Postby The Linkage » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Old hardware, but no old drivers. I've opened Algodoo today and it putted the "first open" screen, but the GUI is unviewable anyways.
My computer is a pentium 4 with an Athlon 1.66 GHz CPU, and a new GPU (GeForce FX5500) anyways it works perfect with Algodoo and Minecraft (no lag!).

That appears every time I update Algodoo, or delete config.
Logfile in This link (dropbox)
P.S: only Logfile.txt? There's a logfile2.txt
The last part is full of errors
The Linkage

Postby Xray » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:26 am

I have some questions before I install v2.1.0. I currently use 2.02b15 for Education.

1. I began to install the new beta version and it requested that I first uninstall my current version of Algodoo, so I cancelled the installation. Will the new Beta version also be Algodoo for Education?

2. Will my current license key code work with the new version?

3. My biggest concern is, If I start making scenes with the new version, will only people who have downloaded the new version be able to run my scenes?

4. Is it possible to keep two versions of Algodoo on my Win-7 computer (if so, how is that done)? That way, I can continue making many scenes with v2.0.2 while learning v2.1.0. Then at some later date when many more people have the new version, I would make the transition to it for all of my new scenes. Comments?

Thanks!
Xray

Postby emilk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 am

The Linkage wrote:Old hardware, but no old drivers. I've opened Algodoo today and it putted the "first open" screen, but the GUI is unviewable anyways.
My computer is a pentium 4 with an Athlon 1.66 GHz CPU, and a new GPU (GeForce FX5500) anyways it works perfect with Algodoo and Minecraft (no lag!).

That appears every time I update Algodoo, or delete config.
Logfile in This link (dropbox)
P.S: only Logfile.txt? There's a logfile2.txt
The last part is full of errors

Hi - first of all, I hate to break your bubble here but the GeForce FX5500 was released in 2004, and so I would not call it 'new'.

The problem is that your drivers do not seem to support FBO:s, which is now an essential part of the Algodoo rendering pipeline. I seriously recommend you upgrade the card - or at least double-check your drivers.

Maybe (a small maybe) it does support rendering to Power-of-Two FBO:s - if so I will try to make it work in the next beta. If not, I will still try to make the GUI rendering work, but you won't have any water rendering.

EDIT: beta 8 uploaded - please try it!
emilk

Postby emilk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 am

Xray wrote:I have some questions before I install v2.1.0. I currently use 2.02b15 for Education.

1. I began to install the new beta version and it requested that I first uninstall my current version of Algodoo, so I cancelled the installation. Will the new Beta version also be Algodoo for Education?

2. Will my current license key code work with the new version?

3. My biggest concern is, If I start making scenes with the new version, will only people who have downloaded the new version be able to run my scenes?

4. Is it possible to keep two versions of Algodoo on my Win-7 computer (if so, how is that done)? That way, I can continue making many scenes with v2.0.2 while learning v2.1.0. Then at some later date when many more people have the new version, I would make the transition to it for all of my new scenes. Comments?

Thanks!

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes - just chose another folder than the default (e.g. Program Files/Algodoo beta/)
emilk

Postby emilk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:43 am

mugsy wrote:v2.1.0 requires a graphics card with shaders? It works on my work laptop which doesn't have a graphics card with shaders but this may explain the constant crashing when I exit the program or load an algodoo file by double clicking it in windows explorer.

A dedicated graphics card is no prerequisite for shaders - any integrated graphics ship from the last five years will do.
emilk

Postby emilk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Kilinich wrote:All 2.1 rare problem - sometimes I have visual low fps - like 10-15.
Algodoo info and diag shows 50-60 fps but I now the difference, not even 30 on screen, it lags like hell.
I try to run "fraps" to measure fps but if that additional indicator on screen - everything fine.
Switching from/to fullscreen helps sometimes too. Can't catch it 100%.

Have you checked your monitors refresh rate? It should be the same as the Algodoo simulation frequency, i.e. 60 Hz, to prevent stuttering.
emilk

Postby The Linkage » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 pm

OK, I've re-re-re checked my graphics drivers and for some reason it was catching that my gpu was the older one. I've noticed that, installed drivers, installed B8 and algodoo opens normally, at 1 FPS. This can be of my graphics card, but when I make a blank scene and quit all the toolbars, it's still slow.
P.S: My last reply was approved a lot of time later than my other replies, so I've reposted it thinking it was an error. If it appears just delete it.
The Linkage

Postby InfinityPlayer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Just downloaded and installed the new beta. I can't see my cursor, except when i click twice and move it, but otherwise, no cursor
InfinityPlayer

Postby Ravenplucker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 am

I opened up the new beta, and this happened. I'm not sure whether I'm missing something fundamental or not. Trying to change the skin results in nothing. The buttons all seem to still be there, but invisible.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ahbmys.jpg
Ravenplucker

Postby emilk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Linkage, InfinityPlayer and Ravenplucker: please use the Bug report forum section, and post Logfiles, or I don't have much to go on.

InfinityPlayer: could it be you have a touch-screen? Algodoo will auto-detect such things and remvoe the cursor when applicable - maybe there is a bug in that code. Check options with ctrl-P
emilk

Postby j00elperez01 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Emilk i can't watch the windows and the panels, WHY?!
j00elperez01

Postby Xray » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:16 am

I noticed that the circle PROTRACTOR no longer shows when using 2.1.0 Beta. When I switch my scene to the older 2.02, then the circle protractor shows correctly. Did you know about this, Emil?
Xray

Postby neoadn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Now, we have not spanish translation.

why?
neoadn

Postby DrAgon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Comparison of the _update_ and the _postStep_

To test update and posStep, you can put the folowing script into the update-entry:

(e)=>{
entity.vel := [entity.vel(0) - 0.01 * entity.vel(1), entity.vel(1) + 0.01 * entity.vel(0)]
}

of an object. If you switch off gravity, and push the object with the hand-tool to the right,
then it performs a full circle in a certain time , at my PC in about 10 seconds.

If you put this Script into the postStep entry instead,
then it performs the same circle in the same time, but if you now change the Simulationfrequency
in the menue Options-Simulation-Simulationfrequency, from 60persecond to 120 per second,
then the circle is performed in just 5 seconds, and it has only half of its radius.
This means: after 2 simulationsteps the screen is updated and shows the new situation.

Thanks for implementing these options to run scripts, this opens new and exciting
ways of simulation.
DrAgon

Postby InfinityPlayer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 am

emilk - thanks for your suggestion, checked the settings, and cleared the touchscreen option and selected the option that allows me to see my cursor. Thanks again. Now i can continue my love and use of this brilliant piece of electronic engineering.
InfinityPlayer

Postby emilk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:27 pm

InfinityPlayer wrote:emilk - thanks for your suggestion, checked the settings, and cleared the touchscreen option and selected the option that allows me to see my cursor. Thanks again. Now i can continue my love and use of this brilliant piece of electronic engineering.

Great! But do you have a touch screen or a touch device of any kind? I need to know, because if not, then my touch screen detection is obviously broken.
emilk

Postby Xray » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 am

I've been using b8 for awhile, and now I see that 2.1.0 has been upgraded to b10. What changed between b8 and b10? (The Readme.txt file has not changed with the newer version)

BTW - Does the b in "b10" stand for "build 10" or "beta 10"?
Xray

Postby tudoreleuu » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 pm

I have a problem with the new beta, everything in the UI is invisible.
tudoreleuu

Postby tadietz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 am

I have noticed that the friction slider now can be moved right to infinity and I seem to be able to manually enter values higher than 2 (which seems to be the highest numeric value you can set with the slider). I had not previously tried specifying values higher than 2 so don't know if this is new of not.

On the subject of friction, what do these values equate to in the 'real world' ? The highest values I have seen mentioned when I research this top out at slightly < 2, and that is for static friction. In the situations I am simulating, the surfaces are moving relative to each other and so would be more subject to kinetic frictional coefficients - or more accurately rolling friction, which has even lower values in most circumstances.

Does Algodoo 'figure out' what kind of frictional forces are occurring between objects, i.e., static, kinetic, or rolling? If not, should I set the frictional values manually according to what interactions various components will have with each other?

One other thing, I have noticed for beta 2.1.0, I can't seem to find a way to run Algodoo in other than full screen mode and cannot even minimize it. Is this working as designed? I noticed it on 2.1.0 b8 and am now on 2.1.0 b10, both of which exhibit the same behavior.

Thanks for any insights.
tadietz

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements