Algodoo 1.9.9.9b released!

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

Postby emilk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Algodoo keeps converging towards 2.0 - here's the latest beta, 1.9.9.9!

In this release two old features are missing - one is plots, the other is force/velocity/momentum visualization. Why?

We've tried to sell Algodoo to two markets - the recreational ("for fun") market, and the educational market. In order for us to be successful with this strategy, as well as providing each type of user with what they need, we realized that there is a requirement for two different versions of Algodoo: the standard "Algodoo" and the educationally targeted "Algodoo for Education". The latter will have features aimed specifically for learning, which includes built-in step-by-step lessons, interactive whiteboard support and yes - plots and force visualization. On the positive side, transferring these two features to Algodoo like this will enable us to charge less for the standard edition, bringing in even more recreational users!

I realize some of you are going to miss these two features, which is why, in time for the final release, we're gonna make sure you on the forum get your licenses upgraded to unlock the the educational edition too!

On another note: this will the last beta to add anything to the translation files. So for you translators, this will be the last thing to translate before Algodoo 2.0!

That being said - here's the change log for Algodoo 1.9.9.9b:

=== Algodoo 1.9.9.9 beta, 2011-09-07 ===
* NEW: Scenes can now be browsed without images.
* NEW: Added support for anisotropic filtering to improve quality of stretched textures (mainly springs). Control in Options->Rendering.
* NEW: Added optional smoothing to plots.

* IMP: Moving a spring endpoint will now only insta-move it if it is attached to background or other static body.
* IMP: Language is now changed in options rather than the file menu.
* IMP: Made the material icons slightly smaller.
* IMP: Entering negative speeds in velocity menu will now flip direction of movement.
* IMP: Changed drag tool's "center of mass" feature and added a "Disable rotation" checkbox.
* IMP: Cloning glued geometries will no longer glue the objects to the originals.
* IMP: Drawing of stretched axles.
* IMP: Larger tool text.
* IMP: Rope tool now draws total length so far.
* IMP: Rope tool now temporarily suspends the movement of bodies it is working on.
* IMP: Setting default material will now also reset texture and color, if a previous material had been set.
* IMP: Undo now only merges drag/move etc if less than 10 seconds between them.
* IMP: Better sizing of axles, fixates, thrusters, lacers and tracers when clicking small objects, or choosing "Add center X".
* IMP: ctrl-s will now save the scene right away if it has been saved previously. ctrl-shift-s brings up the save dialog.
* IMP: Optimized drawing of selections.
* IMP: Scenelets officially renamed 'components'.
* IMP: Translated welcome scene ("Quick tour").
* IMP: Windows installer no longer hassles you about existing Algodoo directory after you uninstall old version.
* IMP: Direct solver disabled for springs by default, for greater speed.
* IMP: One can now enable and disable the direct solver for individual hinges/springs in the script menu.
* IMP: Optimizations!

* FIX: Spring line end point colors.
* FIX: Overkill 17 decimals of precision in script menu, console and when serializing.
* FIX: Parsing of floats ending with the "." (e.g "10.").
* FIX: Force visualization was accidently on for all thrusters/springs when enabling it for just one geometry.
* FIX: The tutorial window can now be minimized without losing the current lesson.
* FIX: The prev. button in the lesson tutorials could sometimes be disabled when it shouldn't.
* FIX: The prev. button in the lesson tutorials now also scrolls the view.
* FIX: The highlighter is now removed when the help widget is closed when running a lesson.
* FIX: Box "textConstrained" attribute being ignored.
* FIX: Issue with drag-dropping scenelets with tracked group.
* FIX: Issue with line end points moving to front when-ever they where moved with mvoe tool.
* FIX: Annoyance where resizing a window would sometimes move it.
* FIX: Scene.my.* declarations are done at top of the scene file now so they can be referenced later on.
* FIX: Direction of spring force arrow.
* FIX: Made it easier to click text fields (like slider values).
* FIX: Bug causing growing context menu.
* FIX: Optimized circle shader.
* FIX: Resizing the inner hinge of a gear will no longer detach it.
* FIX: Removed "infinity" as the maximum hinge motor strength. You can still enter "+inf" manually.
* FIX: Issue with Thyme parsing which would sometimes cause string literals to be wrongfully regarded as languange identifiers, causing unparsable thyme files.
* FIX: "Vibrating" controller menu when resizing the controlled geometry.
* FIX: issues with button input (for motors, lasers etc). They will no longer be activated if ctrl is down (e.g. ctrl+z will not activate a laser bound to z, but pressing only z will activate it).
* FIX: Issue with "Stop following object" button.
* FIX: Renaming a scene was very slow when a lot of scenes was in the same folder.
* FIX: Bug causing wrong velocities for composite bodies when undoing or loading a scene.
* FIX: Problem causing different air friction depending on whether two object where hinges or fixated/glued together.
* FIX: Issue drag-dropping in old phunlets.
* FIX: Bug causing motored hinges to behave differently after an undo.
* FIX: Issue where rope tool would sometimes create ropes with "gaps" in it.
* FIX: Issue with fixates rotating when using drag-tool.
* FIX: Issue with blinking tooltip.
* FIX: Problem with per-geometry force/vel/momentum visualization on glued geometries.
* FIX: Sizes of springs and their endpoints when loading old scenes.
* FIX: Fixed issue with popup-menus closing even though a slider in them where being dragged.
* FIX: Fixed issue with move tool changing selecting but not including that change of selection in its undo.
* FIX: The Mac version can again open scenes from the install directory (e.g. Official, Games & Phun).
* FIX: Issues with auto fitting force, velocity and momentum arrows.
* FIX: Problem with opening the text menu for several boxes containing markup.
* FIX: Issue where dragging the ends of a HTML window would sometimes not resize it.
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Re: Algodoo 1.9.9.9b released!

Postby Nxdt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:06 pm

You should have called it 1.9.9.1, so if you have to add another version before 2.0, you don't have to make a 1.9.9.9.9 haha.
Great work as always!
Nxdt

Postby monstertje3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Really awesome, very good you guys fixed so many in such a short time :)
monstertje3

Postby mori-d » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 pm

OMG.
The plots and force visualization features should be standard feature,
if you wish to see more excellent scenes.
mori-d

Postby Rrobba » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Amazing work. Thanks for keeping Algodoo so updated!

Also, I think this new strategy is great, it could really help get ALgodoo into wider audiences. It's also reassuring to hear that us forum users will get free access to the extras of the educational mode.

Thanks Algoryx and Emil, you have once again proved you care about the community.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Postby Emanuel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Users who are having trouble with white textures can try the following command:
Code: Select all
Resources.forceGLUBuildMipmaps = true

and then restart Algodoo.

/ Emanuel
Algodoo Developer
Emanuel

Postby RA2lover » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 pm

These features aren't commonly used on algobox. i think less than 0.5 percent of the scenes there use it actually.
also, there's nothing preventing someone from

•Using PHZ editing
•Using PHN editing
•Using an older version of Algodoo(i backed up 1.8.5 and 1.9.9b already)
•Using Thyme on an attempt to emulate these features

so its pretty much useless to have the tools removed at all.
RA2lover

Postby sc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 pm

I use algodoo for educational purposes. It was mentioned above that we would have to upgrade our registration to use the educational version. Does that imply that I'll have to pay for it?
sc

Postby Someone Else » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:15 am

I will download as soon as I get a chance! Great work as always, Emil!

Also, I can't wait for Algodoo 1.9^4!

And by this:

---emilk wrote:
"I realize some of you are going to miss these two features, which is why, in time for the final release, we're gonna make sure you on the forum get your licenses upgraded to unlock the the educational edition too!"

Do you mean that all the current Algodoo licenses floating around out there will still work for the "recreational" Algodoo 2.0, but not the "educational" Algodoo 2.0 with its few extra features, but we, the Algodoo Community, will all be awarded with free "educational" licenses as well?

Just clarifying...
Someone Else

Postby emilk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:07 am

Someone Else wrote:And by this:

---emilk wrote:
"I realize some of you are going to miss these two features, which is why, in time for the final release, we're gonna make sure you on the forum get your licenses upgraded to unlock the the educational edition too!"

Do you mean that all the current Algodoo licenses floating around out there will still work for the "recreational" Algodoo 2.0, but not the "educational" Algodoo 2.0 with its few extra features, but we, the Algodoo Community, will all be awarded with free "educational" licenses as well?

Just clarifying...

That's exactly what it means!

Plots and force visualization was two features added to Algodoo a couple of years ago specifically for the educational market, and I suspect few 'recreational' users use them. But we are not removing these features to make you pay for them twice (which is why you get a free upgrade) - we just want to give an extra incentive to schools to buy the educational edition while also being able to lower the price of the standard version of Algodoo.
emilk

Postby Dare » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:47 am

Great new beta! Pity you weren't able to implement the suggestion of old borders: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4589

Maybe in the official release? :D
Dare

Postby Someone Else » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a feeling that since 1.9^3 is the last one to translate, they will not be adding anything new, such as an option to change the border thickness. But, they could very well simply revert the border thickness to the 1.8.5 value, and add customization in to 2.0.1.
Someone Else

Postby Ravenplucker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:27 pm

RA2lover wrote:These features aren't commonly used on algobox. i think less than 0.5 percent of the scenes there use it actually.
also, there's nothing preventing someone from

•Using PHZ editing
•Using PHN editing
•Using an older version of Algodoo(i backed up 1.8.5 and 1.9.9b already)
•Using Thyme on an attempt to emulate these features

so its pretty much useless to have the tools removed at all.

I find plots useful as a visual way to measure the speed of acceleration and rotation.
Ravenplucker

Postby Someone Else » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:11 pm

@Ra2:
Checksums try to prevent PHN editing,
Edited PHNs are allowed... but I don't see how they could enable plots,
Older versions will be tough to get when 2.0 is released to the general public, and scenes usually won't work properly in them anyway,
That's what Thyme is for (sometimes...), is it not? It's simply really difficult to Thyme what that plot will do.
Someone Else

Postby silversmart » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:23 pm

i wish there were 64bit support in the final 2.0 release.
1 thing i would have back is the ball-rope, like it wass in 1.8.5 and before

best regards
silversmart

Postby Nxdt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 pm

@Silversmart, it is possible to create a custom chain that is a ball rope, just make a ball, attach two hinges to the opposite sides and select "Use as chain" in the object menu.
Nxdt

Postby hiltropper » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:30 pm

nice update!
but i must say i am one of the few who used plots on nearly every of my projects
but if i can get the other version it doesnt matter i think
hiltropper

Postby electronicboy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:13 pm

extremely small chat between me and emil :D
Shane Freeder:
Hey emil,
any plan to fix the 'density = 0' memory leak?
ps, how many 9's do you plan to add to the version number :P
emil: 9

Nice update :)

not played on it too much, but it appears to be stable :)

just wish the good ol' "density = 0" memory leak, or a stable way of deleting geoms via thyme was implemented...
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Someone Else » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:23 am

@electronicboy:
I completely support the idea of a simple way of deleting objects without using density = 0 and similar. (i.e. e.this.delete)
I would certainly use it on projects that, for whatever reason, could not be made Phun-friendly.
If it could be implemented into Phun, I would use it all the time.

Also, am I correct in thinking that autoBend is the only really significant difference between chain hinges and normal hinges?
Someone Else

Postby emilk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 am

Someone Else wrote:Also, am I correct in thinking that autoBend is the only really significant difference between chain hinges and normal hinges?

That and it gets a hingeConstant based upon the chain strength.

Oh, and I'll add a Scene.RemoveEntity in the next version.
emilk

Postby silversmart » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Nxdt wrote:@Silversmart, it is possible to create a custom chain that is a ball rope, just make a ball, attach two hinges to the opposite sides and select "Use as chain" in the object menu.

!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

that is awsome...

best regards ...
silversmart

Postby Banjerboef » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey Emil,

The plots and visualise velocity's aren't that big functions.
So, I think it is better to leave them there.

Because when you buy Algodoo, you pay for the coding, etc.
And the plots aren't a primairy function of Algodoo, just an extra feature.

The users whom use the plots and force visualisation (like me), use these functions.
And users whom don't, don't use these functions even if they are there.
It is the users choice if they use it or not.

I always think it is helpful, because I can measure the rpm of my engines and watch in a graph if it is stable over a long period. And also the force visualisation is usefull for creators of breakable constructions, because they can see what part of the structure experiences the highest forces.

For me these functions mean a lot, because I learn while playing.
Even with my experience, I can still learn things about the forces, etc.
Imagine if you are a child whom is learning this while playing.

So, could you please think twice before you put your new plan in action.
The Smartboard support should indeed be in the educational version of Algodoo.
But please leave the "fun" features, like force visualisation and the plots, in the normal version.

Thus if you really decide to put those functions in the educational Algodoo only,
many users that only want those two functions (and not the Smartboard support or other things) will have to pay more (if they don't have Algodoo yet) for 2 extra functions.
That's unfair!

You are stating on your site:
"Algodoo encourages students and children’s own creativity, ability and motivation to construct knowledge. Making it as entertaining as it is educational. Algodoo is also a perfect aid for children to learn and practice physics at home."

The sentences: "Making it as *entertaining* as it is *educational*."
and "Algodoo is also a perfect aid for children to *learn* and *practice* physics at home." should say enough.

You cannot learn things if you just watch the real-time data, like rpm.
For children it is better to visualise things, like in a graph.
So, they can learn how fast objects decrease in speed or if the rpm of their self-made engine is stable.

Children and also students need visualised data in order to observe and learn from it!

I hope this convinced you to leave those functions available for the 'recriational' Algodoo!
Because I am pretty pissed by the fact that you are planning to remove them perminantly from the regular Algodoo.

I have a friend with Autism.
He needs to have things visualised otherwise he won't understand it.
So, we work with pictures of everyday tasks to help him understand what he has to do today.

In Algodoo he doesn't know how to understand data like rpm or angle.
He needs a graph to visualise it for him.
With a graph he is able to understand that his self-made engine isn't working like it should.
And if he knows that it isn't working like it should, he can fix it and learn how a engine it works.

It is really sad that if your plan is put in action, he will need the educational Algodoo for graphs and force visualisation.
And for the people whom don't have Algodoo yet, it is the same story:
Pay more for 2 functions (because most people aren't interested in the other functions, like Smartboard support).

I hate it to say because it is the hard truth, but if you are really going to put your plan in action many people won't buy Algodoo. Sure the prices are lower, but they have to buy the educational Algodoo if they want plots and force visualisation.

And be realistic:
A normal lowering in price is about €2 - €5, otherwise you won't attract people.
These functions don't add €2 to the price, because these functions don't have a high value.
They only add max. €0,05 to the price, because they don't add much to Algodoo itself.

New coding like Smartboard support is expencive and has a higher value.
Smartboard support and other educational features add max. €5 - €10 to the value, because it is classroom ready.

So, removing the educational features will lower the price.
But removing the plots and force visualisation will not effect the price much.

I recommend leaving them in the standard Algodoo, because it is something both recreational and educational users use.
And it doesn't add much to the total value of Algodoo.

Please think twice about it, make your own calculations and listen to the opinion of the creators.

I am sure many great creators on Algobox use these small functions, and they make scenes for mainly recreational and also a little bit for educational purposes.

Regards,
Maurice (a.k.a. Banjerboef)
Banjerboef

Postby The Linkage » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Well... this is a big change, but I'm very angry because today ALL my Algodoo versions (except the 1.8.5) have Overdue demo. How much time was the Algodoo beta?
The Linkage

Postby The Linkage » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Oh no! the beta is over.
The Linkage

Postby Kael » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:35 am

Yes, i completely agree with you^. I think the graphs should defiantly stay in the stander version of Algodoo as they are a VERY useful thing while making something. Like the dude above me said, it really helps you learn and improve the things you make. But support for SMART boards is useless for a home user like me but could be VERY valuable to a teacher at a school and is worth a good bit more of money.

Also, it was said that us on the forum would have our liscense upgraded, but i wasn't speaking of myself i was speaking for those i may get to buy algodoo or students who want to get it at home so please think of this before you make us pay extra for it
Kael

Next

Return to Official announcements