Algodoo Beta 1.9.8 Released!

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

Algodoo Beta 1.9.8 Released!

Postby emilk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:29 pm

"More anticipated than OSX Lion!"

Download at http://www.algodoo.com/wiki/Algodoo_beta

Here's what's new:

=== Algodoo 1.9.8 beta, 2011-07-21 ===
* NEW: Removed "cute clouds" feature.
* NEW: The text for the lessons have been moved to the translation files and can therefor be translated.
* NEW: The zoom factor can now be set in the options (especially useful for users with a Magic Mouse).
* NEW: The fade out of the clouds can now be turned off (App.Background.fadeCloudsOnSimStop).
* NEW: Added a button to file browser to show the current folder in the OS file browser.
* NEW: Kinetic panning (scrolling) - throw the camera to quickly pan.
* NEW: Added support for Mac touch-pads
** Use two-fingers for panning and zooming.
** Swipe with three fingers to undo, redo, play/pause and minimize/maximize windows, or go back/forwards in a browser.
* NEW: Home dir button in scene save dialog.
* NEW: The Windows installer will now ask to uninstall the previous version of Algodoo first.
* NEW: When deleting files from within Algodoo, they will now be moved to the recycle bin.
** When you overwrite a scene on save, the old version will be moved to the recycle bin, unless you set App.moveToTrashOnOverwrite to false.
* NEW: The Algobox browser now shows the URL for easy sharing of scene url:s.
* NEW: You can now use back/forward button on your mouse or keyboard to undo/redo in algodoo, as well as navigate the browsers.
* NEW: Added selected tool icon to cursor - congratulations, tatt ;)

* IMP: Algodoo once again uses single precision float math (it was double during the earlier betas). This will speed up most things.
* IMP: More responsive panning.
* IMP: Reduced the size of the tool options widget.
* IMP: Moved the lessons into the help widget and they are dynamically added.
* IMP: Nicer slider rendering using customizable borders.
* IMP: Algodoo now loads (much) quicker.
* IMP: Smoother load screen with version number.
* IMP: Moved "Use as chain" up to the first part of the context menu.
* IMP: Made rope texture power-of-two for greater speed, quality and compatibility.
* IMP: Chain tool will now extend existing chain starting at the point where user drags rather than the edge of that geometry.
* IMP: Pressing the "Show scene on Algobox" will now open the scene in the Algobox browser
* IMP: Back/forward buttons will now gray out when not applicable.
* IMP: Better image scaling in scene, scenelet and texture browser, improving both image quality and load times.
* IMP: The thumbnail folder created by the file browser is now hidden in Windows Explorer.
* IMP: For clarity, stretched hinges are now blurred along the axis of elongation. Thanks for the idea, Kilinich!
* IMP: Much nicer selections for all non-geometries.
* IMP: Plot now has a helpful grid as well as guide-lines to the axes on mouse-over.
* IMP: Drag tool is now stronger when you zoom out. Control with Tools.DragTool.strength.
* IMP: Slightly better GUI responsiveness.
* IMP: Fixate and hinge tools now adjusts the size of the fixate/hinge based on the size of the involved object(s).
* IMP: Turned off font anti-aliasing, making text more readable on macs.
* IMP: Lowered default chain/rope strength from 1e7 to 1e6 N/m, which should solve most of the "exploding ropes" bugs.

* FIX: Air friction multiplier sometimes getting ignored for rotational air friction.
* FIX: Bug which would cause over-streched hinges to mess up the conservation of angular momentum, causing things like unrotatable objects.
* FIX: Black text on the background now has a white shadow.
* FIX: The Mac version draws the graphics more smoothly again.
* FIX: The global scenes (located in the install directory) should now be reachable through the file browser.
* FIX: The direction of the chain (and rope) is now always created the same way (so it doesn't look weird).
* FIX: Some fixes to how the endpoints are drawn.
* FIX: Misaligned planes snaps to the grid again.
* FIX: Small, low-density objects would sometimes get a rotation out of nowhere.
* FIX: Unintentional auto-brake on all hinges. Hinges will no longer auto-brake unless they are created by the chain tool.
* FIX: The resolution is now saved correctly.
* FIX: Fixed first welcome scene showing up in weird maximized-but-not-really mode on Windows.
* FIX: Opening the contect menu for a spring will now open the spring sub-menu again.
* FIX: Removed "clone" and "mirror" buttons for the end points of springs.
* FIX: Infinite inertia multiplier will no longer erase objects.
* FIX: The "show file" button (when saving plots) is working as it should again.
* FIX: Material velocity re-enabled for geom-geom contacts.
* FIX: Erasing of non-.phz files from file browser.
* FIX: Better snapping when moving thrusters, lasers, hinges, fixates and springs.
* FIX: Minor issue with closing polygons.
* FIX: Undo list order (bottom-up now).
* FIX: Fixed bug where the simulation would pause when moving something on top of a window.
* FIX: Legacy border width.
* FIX: Issues with rope (extra hinges and groups).
* FIX: Issues with selecting just the end-points of a chain: you can now always select just the end lumps of a chain to tug it or attach it somewhere else.
* FIX: Issue with tooltip positioning.
* FIX: Backing up Algodoo with Time Machine on the Mac should be working now.

Grab it, and tell us what you think!
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Re: Algodoo Beta 1.9.8 Released!

Postby Kutis 96 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm

awesome!
Kutis 96

Postby monstertje3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Many thanks for all those fixes!
Keep up the awesome work!
monstertje3

Postby Kutis 96 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm

found some bugs:

1.) If you want to resize text in a box and the text will get bigger than the block, it will make the slider jumping and blinking from the max value the text isnt bigger than the box and the selected value

2.) Polygon ege blur looks like its a ratio - the maximum looks fixed to a single value, but if you insert bigger value than the maximum of the slider, the blur will be same.

3.) Polygon edges doesnt look sharp, they appear broken or so.
Kutis 96

Postby Rrobba » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Keep up the great work! Plenty of welcomed features and fixes.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Postby electronicboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm

thanks for another great update!

Thanks for fixing the "maximised" bug! :)

But, is it me or does moving arould the scene seam to feel kinda bulky?

also, could you please look at this:
.phi as multiple-scene distributive

Cheers!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Dare » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 am

Nicely done, I really like this new version.

Can you better explain legacyMode for the axles and springs? I change the values, but I still can't see it changing anything. Axles still stretch, springs don't change at all ... I'm just confused with it.
Dare

Postby tatt61880 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks for releasing new beta! :clap:

====
I found small issue in English.cfg. ;)

Bug_Scene = "Scen"; // It should be" "Scene" ;)

And I recommend you to add next line into "//Materials"
Code: Select all
   ["Stone",   "Stone"],
NOTE: I'm not an Algoryx member.
Hi, Algodoo lovers. Have you read next topic? Featured scenes suggestions
To translators: English.cfg changelog will be useful (even for me).
tatt61880
[Most Helpful Person 2010]

Postby Nisheeth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:56 am

Is there a way to install this without removing the previous version?
Nisheeth

Postby Nisheeth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:18 am

Moving in the scene has become harder, it moves too fast, and bit too smooth, that it mostly crosses the intended scene
Nisheeth

Postby electronicboy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 am

Nisheeth wrote:Is there a way to install this without removing the previous version?

Install new version, reinstall old version (to different directories...)
electronicboy

Postby crytek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:20 pm

my back and forward buttons on my mouse arn't doing anything. i know the buttons work cause i use them all the time in google crome.
crytek

Postby lego marine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:52 pm

this is what i want really badly
lego marine

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:26 pm

@Dare: If my memory serves me right, for springs:
legacyMode = 0 means Phun springs,
1 = primitive beta Algodoo springs,
2 = pre-1.9 full released Algodoo springs,
3 = 1.9+ direct-solver springs

For hinges:
legacyMode = 0 means pre-1.9 iterative solver hinges,
1 = 1.9+ direct solver hinges
Someone Else

Postby Nisheeth » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:17 am

[quote="electronicboy"][quote="Nisheeth"]Is there a way to install this without removing the previous version?[/quote]
Install new version, reinstall old version (to different directories...)[/quote]

Thanks. Did that.
Nisheeth

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Or, do what I do and simply install each new version to a new directory.

If you don't have a really cheap version of the operating system (referring to systems that are not already free, as in Windows or probably Mac, Linux should be fine), the OS will probably redirect the links in the START menu and/or the desktop to the new version.

I currently have a nice version of XP and it does this, a while ago I had a cheap version and I think it didn't.
Someone Else

Postby electronicboy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Someone Else wrote:Or, do what I do and simply install each new version to a new directory.

Whoops... Forgot that the uninstall is optional....

Also, cant you select start menu directory?
If not, i suggest adding that abiltiy to the installer...
electronicboy

Postby Someone Else » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:52 am

I was entirely unable to add Algodoo to the Start menu on the previous version of XP (the Programs directory, thanks to some school-administrative-nonsense, did not appear in the GUI), so no in that case. In the new, non-school-affiliated and much nicer version of XP, the Start menu automatically places often-used programs on the front page. When I installed 1.9.8 to a new directory, it automatically picked up on the change.
Someone Else

Postby Someone Else » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 am

Sorry to double-post (the previous post, apparently, hasn't appeared yet and I think there's no Edit button anyway), but I really don't like how the undo and redo menus are now ordered from the bottom-up.

I like to concentrate my menus at the top of the screen, much like in 1.8.5. The new drop-down menus do indeed drop down, but fall off the bottom of the screen. Seems like it would be possible to use which way the menu falls to determine the order, so the list will always have the most recent entry at the end closer to the menu bar.

Also, the Play button sometimes turns invisible when the sim is running, instead of turning into a pause button. Sometimes, but not all the time. Very strange...

Also, when I create a circle using the appropriate tool, with seemingly any non-triangular grid on, with my cursor too close to the center, it snaps to the nearest grid vertex, not zero. This is OK. But it also won't rotate. Strange.

Also, with a square grid, a circle won't snap to a grid line, only a vertex. And a triangular grid will let you snap a circle to a radius of 0.
Someone Else

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Backspace is no longer "delete". It is now undo. This is REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING, because I don't know what the new delete button is and I've been deleting with backspace for years now.

The game also runs at half realtime on scenes that it used to run very comfortably at full speed. I know there is a suggestion to update my graphics drivers, and I'll try that (giant pain in the ass because Intel stopped any reasonable support for my particular chipset), but I am disappointed with this update. Hinges are fixed, but the game is not really playable any more.
Frank
[Best Tutorial Maker 2010]

Postby emilk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:26 am

Someone Else: I'll make sure the undo/redo lists have the most recent item closest regardless of it being on the top or bottom.
About the play-button: find a way to reproduce it, and post in the bugs forum.
About the circles bug: can't replicate - please describe in more detail in own thread in bugs forum.

Frank: I can see how the backspace issue is annoying. This was unintentional, and will be fixed.
What scenes run at half the speed? I find that most scenes run much faster in the new beta. I hope you understand that a performance decrease is not intentional but a bug. It saddens me that you are disappointed by the beta, but I hope you understand that I can't improve it without constructive feedback! Post a thread in the bugs forum describing a simple and specific instance of the problem.
emilk

Postby Metagami » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:43 am

Is it just me, or is the zooming a bit choppy?
Oh, and if you set the skin to the "black" option, the place-marker disappears on the sliders.
Metagami

Postby electronicboy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

@someone else: i doubt windows would have automatically picked up on the change.... That would be as the algodoo installer recreated the shortcut linking to the new directory
Which is why the ability to set the start menu directory would be great!!!!
@metagami
1. I agree, zooming has gone really choppy!
2. I think that may have something to do with that colour scheme not being updated to work properly with 1.9.8
electronicboy

Postby emilk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:49 am

The installer does ask you about which start menu group to place links under - at least on my Win7 x64!

And my zooming is just as smooth as it always has. Maybe it is your framerate that has changed? Try playing with Scene.Camera.smoothFactor. A value closer to 1 makes the zooming more smooth. e.g.:

Scene.Camera.smoothFactor = 0.96
emilk

Postby electronicboy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 pm

emilk wrote:The installer does ask you about which start menu group to place links under - at least on my Win7 x64!

okay, I must not have noticed it...
I will double check tonight (currently at work)
electronicboy

Next

Return to Official announcements