Cargo Haulage

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Cargo Haulage

Postby Under Ground » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:11 pm

CARGO HAULAGE
//INTRODUCTION\\
Greetings.
Once upon a time, many great contests arose in the old Phun forums. They ranged from artillery shooting, to wall climbing robots. In this great era, most contest ideas were quickly used up, leaving the Algodoo forums dry. The Algodoo members were left without drive and the community quickly started shrinking. Until now. Now, this shrinkage must end, and be replaced with a growing community. Starting from now, The little community we have left should work our asses off until our numbers grow. And so, I shall begin. [/epicnovel]

The aim in this contest is to deliver the 'cargo' (Four crates) to the drop off zone, located at the end of the course. You task is to build a vehicle that is capable of collecting the crates, transporting them over very rugged terrain, and to place them into the drop off area. Your vehicle will be put through its paces in this course, with obstacles designed to test your vehicles strength, climbing power and overall ride smoothness.
=============================================================
//CATEGORY\\
SPEED:
This category will be judged on how quickly the course is completed, regardless of whether or not all the crates arrive at the destination. Dropping off the crates is not necessary either, you just have to get past the drop off point.

//RULES\\
GENERAL
The main rules of this contest.
    You must complete the objectives set above.
    Your vehicle must fit within the build zone provided.
    Any circles (Or anything close to circle) must not be bigger than the template given.
    About the circle size limit:
    It is only valid if the circle (or almost circular object) is connected, or part of, the systems drive train or engine itself. This will be judged by me.
    The given scene may not be altered in anyway or form.
    No thyme of any type is to be used in this contest.
    Your vehicle must remain on the ground almost all the time (So no flyer's, hoppers ect.)
    All entries must be original, and not copied from somebody else.
    Slider values only (No putting friction ect. up to Inf+. )
    Max hinge speed is set to 100 RPM.
    You needn't drop the cargo off, only pick it up.
    Your vehicle must weigh at least 30 KG.
    Your entry's hinges must not exceed 100 RPM
    Once judged, you entries may not be edited

//SCORING\\
Your vehicle will be judged in four different aspects.
To drop the crates, Press 'ENTER'.

PERFORMANCE
Overall speed: -/10
Overall handling: -/10
Overall strength: -/10
Climbing ability: -/10

COURSE ABILITY
Hills: -/30
Circle climbing: -/20
Hill climb: -/10

FUNCTIONALITY
How many boxes arrived? - -/50
How many times did it get stuck? - -/20
How many times did it break? - -/10

At the end, I will give your vehicle a overall score out of 100, in order to rank it. This is judged by penalties, performance and its ability.
//SCENE\\
The base scene can be downloaded here:
Filesize: 497.45 kB
download

( http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=56049 )
This contest will end 6th August
Leaderboard:
1: Jrderksen - TIME: 1:09
2: Ivan - TIME: 1:21
3: Someone Else - TIME: 1:17
4: ImaPirate - TIME: 4:38

Thrusters:
1: Phunwar - TIME: 0:22

//REWARDS\\
There is not I can do for rewards, though a Title is possible (I am awaiting an answer from Tatt).
(((EDIT: I and Tatt have discussed this, and decided against it!)))
Until then, I can promise you a pile of cookies and a Land based vehicle for me to make on your request. (Work on your strength's, eh?)
I hope to receive a large response to this contest! To enter, make a scene response or comment your entries in this thread. Entries made in Algodoo will be judged! All queries will be answered!
Last edited by Under Ground on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Under Ground

Re: Cargo Haulage

Postby tatt61880 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:25 am

Seems to be interesting contest. :thumbup:

Under Ground wrote:There is not I can do for rewards, though a Title is possible (I am awaiting an answer from Tatt).

Adding title to a contest winner is interesting idea.

I just want to ask:
Is this contest proper to give any title?
How do you feel, forum members?
NOTE: I'm not an Algoryx member.
Hi, Algodoo lovers. Have you read next topic? Featured scenes suggestions
To translators: English.cfg changelog will be useful (even for me).
tatt61880
[Most Helpful Person 2010]

Postby TC42 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 am

A title would be a suitable reward, although it is best to remember that probably 95% of the people here are only on the algobox, not on the forums... so a title would not apply to them.

What would the title be, though?
[Smoothest suspension maker]?
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby Someone Else » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:15 am

@Tatt: I feel that I want to enter.

The idea of giving a user title to the winner is interesting, but not new. I believe the contest the Contest Rules and Guidelines linked to gave the winner the ability to edit their own custom user title.

@TC42: I've seen lots of contests where most, if not all, of the entrants were on the forum.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby TC42 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:45 am

@Someone Else- Yes, but most of the people who entered in the Japanese contest were only on the algobox... I think if we want more participation, we should include something that applies to them too.

@Under Ground- Does "wheel size" apply only to the device that contacts the ground and provides thrust, or does "wheel size" have a greater meaning?
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby Someone Else » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:43 am

Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 511.04 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 2
download

In the Algobox description, I wrote:Talk about a loophole bomb.

Yes...
I took "wheel size" to mean the part that collides with the ground and provides thrust.
I used C-gears to loophole the 100 rpm rule.
    Max hinge speed is set to 100 RPM
I used collideSets to loophole the lack of a rule that says that the wheels must collide with the obstacles.
I then used collapsible motorized stilts to loophole the Physical Law that says that if the above rule is loopholed, the cargo itself must collide with the obstacles.
Dang, there was something else, but I don't remember what it is...

Oh, I forgot to mention that holding Up or Down too long is a great way to break the stilt mechanism.

Oh and there's only four crates in the scene.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby TC42 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 am

I was going to use gears, but then I decided that a compound softtire would work better. I was also going to submit it, but I don't know how many entries we're allowed.

@Under Ground-- How many entries are we allowed?
TC42

Postby Dare » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:58 am

I will make an entry as soon as you fix those loopholes.
ImageImage
TC42 wrote:Dare, you are creepy.

Official Algobox Admin! Please PM me if you have any issues regarding Algobox.
Dare

Postby Under Ground » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for pointing those out guys, Im fixing it now.
Oh, Im not disqualifying you, but I am taking your 'entry' as more of a pointer than an actual entry. Thanks!
Under Ground

Postby TC42 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:08 pm

I assume that we aren't allowed to use materialvelocity?
The "only five hinges" rule is really making it difficult to create a useful gearbox (now that I cannot use compound tires)... even planetary gearsets need around 5 hinges. And tanks require far more than 5 hinges, as do softtires. And this rule leaves use with just 2 or 3 hinges to make suspension...
TC42

Postby Under Ground » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Hinge rule has been scraped.
Under Ground

Postby TC42 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Alright, my entry has a time of ~40 seconds so far... and it is very fun to drive! I'm going to post it; please do not take my ideas-- as I said in the scene description, I will come and slap you with a grilled salmon if you do.
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 457.72 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 1
download

Zoom out. Remember that you cannot simply keep the right arrow key pressed the entire time--if you do, it will flip over. So drive with a reasonable amount of caution, and it will complete the course in no time...
TC42

Postby FuzzyLogicBrain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

took 44 seconds, left and right to drive, press and hold M to go fast, and press control A and go into the selection menu and select hinges (or Axles for Under Ground and others who have 1.9.7b), and when in the cargo dump zone press e to dump cargo!
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 460.17 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

oh, BTW TC, you said
TC wrote: Zoom out. If you steal my idea(s), I will personally come to your house and slap you with a salmon. A smoked one with lemon juice and tartar sauce.
and if anyone steals my ideas i will send my automatic un-manned shoop-da-whoop after you and it will torment you forever, even after death! @Someone Else, dude! that vehicle is EPIC! and you really pushed the limits on the rules, though may i suggest that you make a circle, attach a moterized hinge to it, that another on the circle, and again!
these guys are awesome. <- full stop
FuzzyLogicBrain

Location: when online, on the computer. when not, probably on it anyways. ;D lulz

Postby TC42 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Ummm... inertiamult isn't a slider value-- are we allowed to use it?

though may i suggest that you make a circle, attach a motorized hinge to it, that another on the circle, and again!

Yeah, I already tried a compound tire. It didn't work very well for me, which is why I used an engine...
TC42

Postby FuzzyLogicBrain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 pm

TC42 wrote:Ummm... inertiamult isn't a slider value-- are we allowed to use it?

though may i suggest that you make a circle, attach a motorized hinge to it, that another on the circle, and again!

Yeah, I already tried a compound tire. It didn't work very well for me, which is why I used an engine...

i wuz torkin 2 Someone Else
FuzzyLogicBrain

Location: when online, on the computer. when not, probably on it anyways. ;D lulz

Postby Dare » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Disqualified. Slider values only, you set wheel friction to +inf.
ImageImage
TC42 wrote:Dare, you are creepy.

Official Algobox Admin! Please PM me if you have any issues regarding Algobox.
Dare

Postby FuzzyLogicBrain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:09 pm

doh try again!
FuzzyLogicBrain

Postby Under Ground » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

I think I should Employ Dare to look for rule breakers! :thumbup:
Great entries so far, I've only tried them on my Laptop (Which is crap), So I will mark them as soon as I get onto my PC. Also, could you all specify which category you are entering?
Under Ground

Postby TC42 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm entering for speed and/or overall awesomeness.
TC42

Postby FuzzyLogicBrain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm entering as funnyness and fun-ctionallity
okay, the thing is not fast, and not smooth, and not awesome, plz. it was just for k.. no, that statement may arouse insults. so, i did it for fun!
FuzzyLogicBrain

Postby ImaPirate » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 am

Need I abide by the maximum wheel size If I want to use tracks?

Edit: It isn't a wheel in contact with the ground, and it's a cog wheel, so more of a gear, if anything.
ImaPirate

Postby TC42 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:22 am

Any circles (Or anything close to circle) must not be bigger than the template given.

Need I abide by the maximum wheel size If I want to use tracks?

Edit: It isn't a wheel in contact with the ground, and it's a cog wheel, so more of a gear, if anything.

I think that you cannot exceed the maximum circle size regardless of what the function is...
TC42

Postby ImaPirate » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:39 am

Fair enough. I'll change the shape to make it better resemble a sprocket then. ;)
ImaPirate

Postby FuzzyLogicBrain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am

and anything resembling a circle. so no.
FuzzyLogicBrain

Postby ImaPirate » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Well. Here's my entry.

Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 0.6 MB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 2
download

Scene said 'no wheels' above the specified size. I have two idlers and six bogies which are all small enough.
The sprocket is not a wheel, nor is it a circle, nor does it resemble a circle. Simple as that.

I've read the rules thrice, but I probably missed something huge that will disqualify this in flying colors... buuut... I can live with that just fine.

Also, drive gear is only spinning at 74 RPM.
ImaPirate

Next

Return to Contests