Destroy the Castle

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Destroy the Castle

Postby Nisheeth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 am

This is the template to the scene.
Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 27.19 kB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 2
download

All the rules and scoring criteria are included in the scene.
I will only evaluate scenes posted in this forum.
I will put the ending date as 15th of June, but it may be postponed depending on the entries.

====EDIT 1:====
I shall update the contest here so keep checking on it.

I have posted the rules here as well:
Aim:You have to build a projectile weapon to destroy that castle.

Rules:

General:
1.The weapon and projectile should be completely mechanical, i.e. No thyme should be used.
2.No use of Geometry Controller or pre-set velocities.
3. Only Slider Values are allowed.
4. No exploitation of any Loop-hole that I may have left should be done. If a scene does exploit any loop-hole, the scene will be disqualified!

The Weapon:
1.The Weapon must be Ranged.
2. The Weapon must fit inside the Build Zone at all times
3.The weapon should not be fixed to the background, directly or indirectly, in order to simulate recoil.
4.The gun must have a manual aiming system.
5. It should at least have an effective range of 100 m.

The Projectile:
1)The projectile should fit inside the projectile box.
2) Attraction must be Zero.
3)Must have a density of 5 kg/m^2 or less.

Scoring:

1.Range: 40 points. [Will be calculated by dividing the Distance of the weapon from the castle by 50.]
2.Efficiency: 50 points.There are a total of 261 Bricks in the castle. The score will be half of the percent of bricks that fall .
3.Consistency: 10 points.I will check the weapon 5 times. the sore will be double the times it hits the castle.
4.Creativity: 25 points.I will be hoping for something different

====EDIT 2:====
High-Scores

1.Raydeg
Range: 40.
Efficiency:50.
Consistency:10
Creativity:20
Total:120 out of125 (96%)
Comments:
This is the most creative entry I have seen so far.
Excellent Aim, and I like the Idea of a pair of circles to increase the maximum weight without breaking rules.
The Max Range leaved me surprised. :crazy:
I definitely would like to see something that can beat this one!!

2.Gent - Entry 2
Creativity:17
Total:117 out of125 (93.6%)
Comments:
Much better than the original! :thumbup:
A little more creative than Bozbez, but not enough to beat Raydeg!! Nonetheless, you now have two places in the High-Scores list. :lol:

3.Bozbez
Creativity:15
Total:115 out of125 (92%)
Comments:
Perfect!!! :clap: :clap:
It hit the castle every time, and destroyed it to shreds!
The idea of reload-able ammo is what earned you the 15 creativity points.

3.Gent-Original entry
Efficiency:47.236630092619602173
Creativity:10
Total:107.236630092619602173132 out of 125. (85.7893040%)
Comments:
Great scene. Works very well, doesn't break any rule.
**The Efficiency score was calculated by taking the average score of the five tests.
The Average came low because in one test, nearly 25% of the tower survived.
Congratulations. :thumbup:

4.NilsMolinder
Efficiency:21.33589976542351
Creativity:22
Total: 93.33589976542351 out of 125. (74.668719812338808%)
Comments:
Nice scene, the gun looks beautiful especially the look of the parts!Though you could have increased the density of the bullet to 5 to increase the damage.
It was the damage that brought you down! :thumbup:

5.Afleticwork
Efficiency:21.2962.
Creativity:20
Total:91.296 out of125 (73.037%)
Comments:
Good scene.

6.xmaster360
Range:30
Efficiency:20.3358974
Creativity:11
Total:71.3358974 out of 125. (57.06871792%)
Comments:
The ineffectiveness wasn't a bother because I checked all the scenes at 500 simulation frequency. The weapon had a range of 1.5 KM, which isn't bad at all. The weapon didn't practically "fail"even once, though the aim did miss a number of times. It may have been more accurate, and ranged if you could put up fins in it.(create the fins, and join it to the arrow using two hinges, then stretch the hinges so that they are as inside the arrow as possible to fit it inside the barrel). The arrow began to rotate at the around 1200 m when I checked at it from 1560, and it collided with the ground at around 100 m and rebounded back. if the distance is increased to 2000, the arrow rebounds, but this time it just flies over the castle (once actually breaking the tip of the tower!)
And finally from that range, the damage was a little higher, causing, at one time (from 1500 m) the collapse of the left tower simply due to the shock wave of the crash!
Congratulations for the second position!

====EDIT 3:====
The Rules have been changed. Please see the updates.
The range has been increased to 2 KM as well.

====EDIT 4:====
The ending date for the contest has been postponed to 25th of June

====EDIT 5:====
The ending date for this contest has been expedited to 20th of June!

====EDIT 5:====
The Contest Ended on 20th of June at 1440 hours!.The Winner is Raydeg, followed by Gent's Second entry! Congratulations :clap:
Last edited by Nisheeth on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 am, edited 17 times in total.
Nisheeth

Re: Destroy the Castle

Postby Ravenplucker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 am

Can you post the rules and stuff here anyway? :D

*EDIT* the points awarded for creativity don't seem terribly high...
TheWonkits wrote:You can't do cartwheels when you're bored. Biological impossibility; they're fueled by joy.

Phundamentalist
Ravenplucker

Postby Nisheeth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 am

Ravenplucker wrote:Can you post the rules and stuff here anyway? :D

*EDIT* the points awarded for creativity don't seem terribly high...

Posted them.
Yeah, they aren't very high, but I will be very choosy when awarding them, so the Idea will have to be extremely creative to get full. And anyways, the score is not limiter to whole numbers, so I can award 5.3 as well. :P
Nisheeth

Postby Ravenplucker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Cheers mate!

I'm working on something now ;)

*EDIT* Are projectiles allowed to have killers as triggering mechanisms?
TheWonkits wrote:You can't do cartwheels when you're bored. Biological impossibility; they're fueled by joy.

Phundamentalist
Ravenplucker

Postby Nisheeth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 pm

The projectile, or any part of it, must not be a killer. But the weapon can have killer parts, only if they don't come in contact with the castle! :)

EDIT It won't matter any way, since I remember I had changed the Castle phunlet to be immortal! So an killer projectile won't harm either!
Nisheeth

Postby Ravenplucker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

So... it can have them? :D

Phundamentalist
Ravenplucker

Postby Nisheeth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Yeah
Nisheeth

Postby Gent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 am

This looks fun I will be entering :thumbup:
"I should be working on my plane"
Gent

Postby TC42 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:21 am

Can we modify sim.frequency? Because otherwise, we would need to accelerate a 28 kilogram box to 369 m/s in 6.5m of space. (Note that 10352n of force is required to completely destroy the castle) To conform to the density requirement, this box must have an area of 5m^2. Moving such a box to such a speed in 6.5m is not really possible without applying extreme forces; applying these forces requires a sim frequency higher than 100, because no method of mounting short of gluing and fixating objects can withstand such acceleration.
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby Gent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:55 am

Here is my entry

Rating: rated 5.5
Filesize: 29.87 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 2
download

F to fire
R to raise and lower the weapons wheels, toggled
left and right arrows to move the weapon, raise wheels before firing
Up and Down to aim, it will shoot clear over the castle with ease from
1000m
Should be set for optimum shot when the scene loads but computers
do vary
Let me know if it breaks any rules but it shouldnt as the projectile is much smaller and lighter than the max
Gent

Postby Nisheeth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 am

TC42 wrote:Can we modify sim.frequency? Because otherwise, we would need to accelerate a 28 kilogram box to 369 m/s in 6.5m of space. (Note that 10352n of force is required to completely destroy the castle) To conform to the density requirement, this box must have an area of 5m^2. Moving such a box to such a speed in 6.5m is not really possible without applying extreme forces; applying these forces requires a sim frequency higher than 100, because no method of mounting short of gluing and fixating objects can withstand such acceleration.

Yes, you are allowed to change the sim.frequency. (probably upto 3500, maybe higher!).
And those are some good calculations you have there.
Oh remember to put up the required sim.frequency for the scene.

EDIT: You should see Gent's scene though, it destroyed the castle completely once, without increasing the sim.frequency!
Nisheeth

Postby Gent » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 am

Thanks for the prompt and fair score :D
You should post your contest scene in the default section too :thumbup:
Are we allowed mulitple entrys?
If so could you or us make a longer firing range and get credit
for accuracy + dammage x range?
I'm sure I can do more dammage from further way, this was just a concept build lol
This could get competive :lol:

PS if fired right after sim start its crazy accurate otherwise the aim drifts
I'll fix that in V2 if allowed
Gent

Postby Nisheeth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:33 am

Gent wrote:Thanks for the prompt and fair score :D
You should post your contest scene in the default section too :thumbup:
Are we allowed mulitple entrys?
If so could you or us make a longer firing range and get credit
for accuracy + dammage x range?
I'm sure I can do more dammage from further way, this was just a concept build lol
This could get competive :lol:

PS if fired right after sim start its crazy accurate otherwise the aim drifts
I'll fix that in V2 if allowed

Yes you can make multiple entries, though you will only have one position on the the High-Scores List.
I may increase the range.
And I know that your weapon is very effective. It hit the target from nearly a distance of 1.5 Km.
Nisheeth

Postby Someone Else » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 90.13 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 1
download

My entry.

With some slight modifications, this could obliterate a lot of castles from pretty much any distance. Some slight modifications being the spring length.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby Nisheeth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 am

Someone Else, have you used any new feature from Algodoo 1.9.5 beta? I am sticking with 1.8.5 until the final release.
I ask because the weapon doesn't work in my pc. The square which I assume is the projectile just falls down.
EDIT: I see no springs in the scene which you mentioned above!
Nisheeth

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 am

There should be several springs attached to the dark-reddish square that is indeed the projectile. When you hit enter, a small box kills the box that is fixated to both the projectile and the gun. The gun is the tan vertical box with a motor on it.

When the box is killed, the springs propel the projectile, which, due to critical damping, stops about halfway through the second castle. Meanwhile, the whole row is in the process of carrying the projectile's momentum through itself, shattering into gazillions of little boxes in the process.

Try this. Make two non-overlapping boxes. Spring them together. Draw a third box that overlaps both of the other boxes. Fixate this box to both of the other boxes. If the spring disappears, that explains why it won't work.

If the spring stays in place, it is probably caused by lots of 2-kilometer-long, max-slider-value constant springs that simply break themselves when made to stay in place, and would spaz to death if released due to the new solver fixing that.

If not that, it's probably due to some nonsense with Line Endpoints 1.9.* has.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby Nisheeth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 am

Try this. Make two non-overlapping boxes. Spring them together. Draw a third box that overlaps both of the other boxes. Fixate this box to both of the other boxes. If the spring disappears, that explains why it won't work.

The spring didn't disappear. As a matter of fact the spring wasn't there even before I ran the scene.
May-be the springs from 1.9.5 are not compatible with 1.8.5.

I tried to add springs as you described it there, the set up was 8 springs of 2000m long, 13500 N/m of spring constant but only 0.1 damping. If I increased the damping any more the whole weapon would just vanish (that is at 1000 sim.frequency, any more and it would lag a bit too much for my liking [1% runtime speed], mainly because of the castle)
If I fired it, the projectile would go to the castle, damage the towers, then begin to go up!
So I can't rate it, since I don't actually know how accurate and effective your weapon was/is.

As for the second contest I think I will make it even if there aren't that many entries (3 effective ones).

Also what do you think, should I postpone the contest or let it end on the 15th? (don't say end it for the second contest, because it will become more fun with more entries we have in this contest!)
Nisheeth

Postby Gent » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Added a new entry, features improved aiming, larger projectile but still smaller than max
and deadly accuracy.
Not only can you hit the castle every shot from 2000m its possible to hit it exactly where you want to
for different effects :shock:

Filesize: 38.07 kB
download

The contest scene still wasn't showing up in the main scenes so I posted this there for a little
advertizing. Should get more entrys.

PS accuracy tested to 4000m but it shoots right thru the front wall of the castle for some reason
at that range?
Gent

Postby Nisheeth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Gent wrote:Added a new entry, features improved aiming, larger projectile but still smaller than max
and deadly accuracy.
Not only can you hit the castle every shot from 2000m its possible to hit it exactly where you want to
for different effects :shock:

Filesize: 38.07 kB
download

Just excellent! :clap: It is truly better than the previous one. I will update the score in a couple of minutes after making the tests! But there is only one possible increase, and that will be the damage it will deal!
One more info, I said that a person can only have one position in the High Scores list (I didn't want to have a list showing the same person as the best the second best, the third best all the way to the worst ;) ), But I think I should change it t concept per person. That would mean, if you can come-up with a better gun, that doesn't follow the very same concept, your scene may have two positions!
Nisheeth

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Nisheeth wrote:

The spring didn't disappear. As a matter of fact the spring wasn't there even before I ran the scene.
May-be the springs from 1.9.5 are not compatible with 1.8.5.

I tried to add springs as you described it there, the set up was 8 springs of 2000m long, 13500 N/m of spring constant but only 0.1 damping. If I increased the damping any more the whole weapon would just vanish (that is at 1000 sim.frequency, any more and it would lag a bit too much for my liking [1% runtime speed], mainly because of the castle)
If I fired it, the projectile would go to the castle, damage the towers, then begin to go up!
So I can't rate it, since I don't actually know how accurate and effective your weapon was/is.

As for the second contest I think I will make it even if there aren't that many entries (3 effective ones).

Also what do you think, should I postpone the contest or let it end on the 15th? (don't say end it for the second contest, because it will become more fun with more entries we have in this contest!)

How about I upload a screenshot of the gun with the springs in place and the spring menu open,
and a few more screenshots of the castle ripping itself apart?

Or, I could capture a gazillion screenshots with system.regularScreenshots = 1, and compile these into a zero-lag video.
But, someone would need to give me a link to a program that can do this- turn a bunch of PNGs into one movie to 100Hz.
Windows Movie Maker won't do this, so I am told.

On mine, the projectile does indeed pop up a bit at the end. I guess the bricks below it bounce off each other and back into the projectile, while the bricks above it just fly away.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Gent » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 pm

@ Someone Else, why dont you just make your entry in 1.8.5?
From what I have seen of the beta it SUCKS so far :wtf:
PS you can also run my radial properly :lol:
@ Nisheeth I personaly think any contest should run at least 2 weeks.
I wouldnt have noticed this one if I had not been checking on another
contest I had entered because it didnt show up in the main scenes page.
I'm sure you will get some more entrys if you post it again to the main
scenes upload page :thumbup:
PS thanks again for actualy monitoring and scoring your contest :clap:
unlike the moron with the landslide thing :x
Gent

Postby Nisheeth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:10 am

Gent wrote:@ Nisheeth I personaly think any contest should run at least 2 weeks.
I wouldnt have noticed this one if I had not been checking on another
contest I had entered because it didnt show up in the main scenes page.
I'm sure you will get some more entrys if you post it again to the main
scenes upload page :thumbup:
PS thanks again for actualy monitoring and scoring your contest :clap:
unlike the moron with the landslide thing :x

OK then I will extend it further.
I think I should try the suggestion out and re-post the scene!
Nisheeth

Postby Gent » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 am

YES!
I want to see some competition here, cmon kids you wanna kick the old mans ass, here is your chance ;)
Gent

Re: Destroy the castle - xmaster's entry

Postby xmaster360 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Well, umm, here's my entry. I'm quite happy with its complexity, although its quite unreliable and not very effective. And I must say, the contest rules are quite harsh, one of the main things that bothered me was the size limit.
But oh well, it adds up to the challenge.

Controls are in the scene.
Attachments
Destroy the Castle - Entry.phz
(57.78 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
xmaster360

Postby Gent » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi xmaster360, Thanks for entering, I entered this for the challenge, the very strict rules and small
build area are what makes this a great contest!
Keep working on your entry and have fun while learning 8-)
Gent

Next

Return to Contests