Ultimate Offroad Challenge, 1km

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

Ultimate Offroad Challenge, 1km

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:59 pm

I have made a very hard and pretty long offroad course. Can you complete it? Should be Phun-compatible.
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 118.05 kB
Comments: 4
Ratings: 1
download

CLOSE DATE: 5:00 PM EST ON SUNDAY, OCT 4
There are two divisions: Open, and Hardcore. They will both have their own leader board and their own set of rules. Any entry must fit inside the inner perimeter of the white start box. Creative packing to fit oversized entries is not allowed. You may not modify the course or script your entries to do so. No weight restrictions, but it might not make it if it's too far from 13kg. Some course mechanisms use collision group G and one of them is a killer, so you probably shouldn't use collision G either. You can make as many entries as you want and improve your entries as many times as you want. Scripting is allowed within the restrictions of the other rules. Obviously user control is more-or-less necessary, but a successful autonomous machine will earn you SERIOUS kudos. More serious kudos to anyone who gets over it in a walker.

OPEN

If it works, it's probably OK. Use your creativity to build a machine that can get across without flying. This division isn't necessarily easier than the Hardcore division; the machines will be on a higher performance level with a wider variety in techniques.
-You may build your "car" with as many wheels as you need, but the total power on all drive motors combined may not exceed 25,000 and no drive motor may go faster than 350RPM. Friction against the ground is the only propulsion method you may use, i.e. you cannot drive your car with a rocket, fan, inertia engine, geometry controllers, or the like. They can be used in extra features, though.
-No more than 2.5 friction on drive wheels/treads/feet/whatever. Other parts need only be less than +inf.
-Non-drive motors (used to power extra features or whatever else you need them for aside from driving) can be as strong as you want.
-Any helpful tools or abilities you can build into your machine are OK and encouraged, from a grappling hook to a self-righting mechanism or jump mechanism, to some sort of aerial control, as long as the car is incapable of flight or coming close to it.
-No initial velocity.
-No external non-colliding parts.

HARDCORE
Basically the same rules as the Baja 1000 contest had. Good luck!
-Only two wheels and only two motors. Use them wisely. No more than 4,000 power each and speed may not exceed 350 RPM. Max wheel size will be given in scene. No propulsion aside from friction on the ground, and no use of material velocity.
-No external non-colliding parts, the only exception being drive shafts because you may need them and they tend to get stuck inside polygons. If your entry features a good non-sticking drive shaft, you will get a bit of special recognition.
-Friction on wheels/feet/etc may not exceed 2.5
-No initial velocity
-No flight or near-flight capabilities.
-No alternate engines.

GRADING
You will surprise me if you make something that can get over every time with no issues, and you'll really surprise me if it's in the Hardcore division. Entries will be driven three times and ranked based on their ability to get across the course unaided (as in no dragging - I expect to need to drive these) and efficiently. These rankings are based on the last trial.
-The primary ranking factor is the number of points the entry is completely unable to cross no matter how many times I try. If your car can get over more than someone else's, it WILL be ranked higher.
-Among entries with the same number of impossible obstacles, the next determining factor will be the number of times it needs to be saved. If something breaks and it can't continue or it gets stuck beyond its own means of un-sticking, then I'll drag it out or fix it and that counts as a save.
-The last ranking factor is time. Cars equal in impossible obstacles and saves will be ranked by time. If there's a big difference in time and the cars are only one or two saves apart from each other, I may place the faster car ahead. Remember that the clock keeps going while I try to get your car on its wheels again, though...
Last edited by Frank on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Made some cool stuff a long time ago
Frank
[Best Tutorial Maker 2010]

Re: Ultimate Offroad Challenge, 1km

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:03 pm

LEADERBOARD
This is where your entries will be listed and ranked.

HARDCORE
1st place:Special7/Cream's Black&White speeder
Impossible Obstacles: 0
Saves: 0
Time: 156 seconds
Rating: rated 4.9
Filesize: 131.22 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 2
download

2nd Place: Jaxc with his orange car v2.
Time: 162 seconds
Filesize: 124.16 kB
download

3rd Place: RaRaMalum's automated bending snake
Time: 178 seconds
KUDOS FOR AUTONOMY
Rating: rated 6.5
Filesize: 123.08 kB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 4
download

4th Place: Izacque's car
Time: 185 seconds
Filesize: 99.23 kB
download

5th Place Alex/Synthro's gear-wheel car
Time: 260 seconds
Filesize: 123.89 kB
download

6th Place: Nxdt's transmission car
Saves: 3
Time: 490 seconds
Filesize: 142.62 kB
download

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPEN
1st place: RaRaMalum's Autonomous Machine
Time: 136
KUDOS FOR AUTONOMY, ALMOST FITS HARDCORE RULES
Filesize: 124.64 kB
download

2nd Place: Username?'s wheel-brick
Time: 132

3rd Place:Simey J Dude's unicycle
Time: 142
Filesize: 97.18 kB
Comments: 1
download

4th Place: Davidz40's 4-wheeled crawler v2
Time: 164 seconds
Filesize: 103.35 kB
download

5th Place: Standardtoaster's jiggly thing
Saves: 2
Time: 198 seconds
Filesize: 92.87 kB
download

6th Place: JrvUnleashed with his beta "Epic-Mobile".
Saves: 1
Time: 262 seconds
Filesize: 96.27 kB
download

7th Place: RA2lover's walker
Impossible Obstacles: 1
Saves: 3
Time: 240
KUDOS FOR DOING IT ON FOOT
Filesize: 106.67 kB
download
Last edited by Frank on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:04 am, edited 19 times in total.
Frank

Postby Jaxc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:38 pm

can i use soft wheels? :P
Jaxc

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Jaxc wrote:can i use soft wheels? :P

Of course! You might run into some trouble without them, even. But it isn't my problem if they get stuck.
EDIT: raised the motor hinge restrictions for the Open division a bit. Adding a few pointers in the scene on the confusing bits too.

EDIT 2: Added a speed limit to Open drive wheels of 350 RPM.
Frank

Postby Jrv » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:04 am

Here is my Beta entry for the OPEN leaderboard:

Filesize: 96.27 kB
download

It is possible to get through the entire course with this vehicle. You just have to master the controls.

The main feature of this vehicle is that it can't be flipped. There is very little chance of getting stuck unless you don't make a jump or something. If you fall on it's backside, just floor it forward and you'll flip back over. You can't simply hold down right arrow and get through the course. You have to be smart and slow don't while climbing vertical slopes, make sure you get maximum speed and room on the jumps, and flip yourself accordingly. It may take a few tries, but it's entirely possible. The final section requires you to do a backflip off the little half circle thingy and land inside. Once it rolls over, simply jump out and floor it. It's unpredictable after this point, as some times you have to let go of the arrow after being launched, and other times you don't. (I blame the launcher :))

I've gotten through this 3 times with no saves, so if you do it right you shouldn't have to save it. If you can't get past a part, tell me, and I'll describe to you how to do it.

This is just a beta because I'm almost positive I can make it better. I'm just waiting to see the other entries to see if I have to improve it or if I can leave it as is.
Bang
Jrv
[Best Musician 2010] [Funniest Person 2010] [Most Infamous Member 2010]

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:54 am

Not bad. Some of the wheels are off-center, though. First run it needed to be recovered twice, second run only once. I'll do the third run tomorrow when I'm more awake.
Frank

Postby Jrv » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 am

I made it pretty quickly, and didn't get into the minor details. Like I said, I'll improve it when someone tops it.
Bang
Jrv
[Best Musician 2010] [Funniest Person 2010] [Most Infamous Member 2010]

Postby Jaxc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:15 pm

can i use motorised hinges for suspention?
Jaxc

Postby Jaxc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:25 pm

i posted is responce :)
Jaxc

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:43 pm

You can use any sort of suspension you can think of. However, I'm adding a ban on external non-colliding parts and a friction limit for Open. I want to encourage creativity, but you're going to need a body on that thing for the final version.
Also, BBcode lesson. If you look for the box labeled "Forum Code" in the column on the left in the scene page, you'll see a bunch of premade code. Click or double-click the box under it that says Copy and that code will go on your clipboard. Paste that code into a post, and you'll get this.
Author: jaxc
Title: Beta car
File Size: 124.47 kB
Rating: Image
ImageImage

You can now also use a pretty little box like you see on the Scene browsing page too. Take the scene number from the end of the URL and place it in the new scene tags.
Let's say the URL is http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=31170
You take the 31170 (yes, that means this is the 31170th scene to be uploaded to Phunbox) at the end of the URL and do this:
Code: Select all
[scene]31170[/scene]

And you get this:
Filesize: 124.47 kB
download
Frank

Postby Jaxc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Frank wrote:You can use any sort of suspension you can think of. However, I'm adding a ban on external non-colliding parts and a friction limit for Open. I want to encourage creativity, but you're going to need a body on that thing for the final version.

what about in hardcore?

Also, BBcode lesson. If you look for the box labeled "Forum Code" in the column on the left in the scene page, you'll see a bunch of premade code. Click or double-click the box under it that says Copy and that code will go on your clipboard. Paste that code into a post, and you'll get this.

i knew that, i just didnt want to link as its only beta atm

You can now also use a pretty little box like you see on the Scene browsing page too. Take the scene number from the end of the URL and place it in the new scene tags.
Let's say the URL is http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=31170
You take the 31170 (yes, that means this is the 31170th scene to be uploaded to Phunbox) at the end of the URL and do this:
[scene]31170[/scene]

And you get this:

althou that is new to me :D
Last edited by Jaxc on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxc

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Jaxc wrote:
Frank wrote:You can use any sort of suspension you can think of. However, I'm adding a ban on external non-colliding parts and a friction limit for Open. I want to encourage creativity, but you're going to need a body on that thing for the final version.

what about in hardcore?

Hardcore already had those rules. Anything not in the rules that isn't very obviously a loophole is OK. You could build a water-suspended hovercraft with jumpy legs if you wanted, but it would be up to you to figure out how to make it work under the posted rules.
Frank

Postby Conundrumer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:00 am

What constitutes as a wheel?
Conundrumer

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Conundrumer wrote:What constitutes as a wheel?

A round thing used to propel the vehicle across the ground using friction.
But you're welcome to try using treads or feet or anything that works on the same principles.
Frank

Postby Jaxc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Author: jaxc
Title: Contenst entry
File Size: 120.38 kB
ImageImage

MY somewhat final ver, everything that matters collides (there are some stuff inside that doesnt collide, but that doesnt change it preformance)

when i drive it completes the course easy.

so to the real question, is the wheel to big?
Jaxc

Postby Nxdt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Heres mine, flips lots, so be gentle on slopes etc.
Author: Nxdt
Title: 1km Offroad Challenge entry (Hardcore)
File Size: 142.62 kB
ImageImage
Use the arrows to drive, up is the high gear.
Nxdt

Postby Sniperkasa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Author: Sniperkasa
Title: fun entry
File Size: 128.23 kB
ImageImage
Lol.
If you have a question, have a dollar and call somebody that cares.
No really just PM me if you have a problem :)
Sniperkasa

Postby RA2lover » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:59 pm

This entry is just for the lulz.
Filesize: 106.67 kB
download

basically a walker. fails on some terrain(mostly failing at sudden moves or things stuck(terrain likes it)
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby davidz40 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08 am

My vehicle. It's able of finishing the whole track.
Author: davidz
Title: offroad vehicle
File Size: 112.43 kB
ImageImage
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Username? » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Here is my entry for Open:
Author: Username?
Title: Offroad course challange Username?
File Size: 98.64 kB
No rating allowed because challange :!:
ImageImage
The time is most time 150 sec.
My best was 140
Check my most scripted scene
       /^°>#
____.<=/`°`    #<°^==>._____
     ``         ´´  ´´
Username?

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:38 am

Wow, some cool entries! Two things I want to clarify: first, I intended the maximum size to be the inner perimeter of the white square, not the outer perimeter. Those entries that go to the outer perimeter will get a place in the leaderboards for now, but aren't going to be qualified for winning if they don't get shrunk before I end the contest. I'll end the contest when it seems like most people interested in entering have done so, and there will probably be 4-7 days' notice.
Second, once you hit the trap at the end, that's the end of the level in terms of my grading. I just built the rest for the lulz. You don't need to worry about how well it goes through the zero-friction loop, but it's cool if it goes through it right. My current schedule keeps me from having much computer time, so there may be some wait before I can test your car.

@Jaxc
I'm surprised to see such a good car from a member with so little clout on the forums. It could cross the course as fast as my test car, which has probably received more than ten hours of work over time. The suspension is a bit awkward with so much weight on the ground, but the thing works.

@Nxdt
You have a good idea with the motor(shows you know how to squeeze the most power out of a hinge), but it isn't being implemented very well. That car is top-heavy and the suspension does as much to make it awkward as it does to smooth out the ride. Also not much power gets transmitted to the wheels. Some of its other properties display good concepts too, but need some modification to be particularly useful.

@Sniperkasa
Conceptually, that's a cool car too, but plagued by may of Nxdt's car's problems as well. Its suspension frequently breaks and does things that good suspension shouldn't. Strangely, the soft wheels are very heavy and hard. Heavy wheels place your center of gravity low, but also make your suspension less useful. Suspension is generally the best when the great majority of the car's mass is on top of it. It broke so often and had so many obstacles that it couldn't deal with that I'm not sure if you wanted me to place it on the leader board.

@RA2lover
Cool, a walker! Didn't bother to analyze the stabilizer and how it works, but I'd like to note that it had trouble on slopes, just like almost every other stabilized biped I've ever seen, Conundrumer's later entries to my old walker contest being the only exception. You may want to experiment with different feet, too. Foot design is too often overlooked with walkers. I haven't played with it enough to make a final graded run. That's next on my to-do list.

Davidz40 and Username?, Your cars look pretty interesting and I look forward to a time when I can test them out. But I'm going to bed now.
Frank

Postby Jaxc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 am

Frank wrote:@Jaxc
I'm surprised to see such a good car from a member with so little clout on the forums. It could cross the course as fast as my test car, which has probably received more than ten hours of work over time. The suspension is a bit awkward with so much weight on the ground, but the thing works.

less is more sometimes :D

and i seriously wish i spent less time on forums :/
Jaxc

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:31 pm

@Davidz40
That thing tears the course apart and the wheels are pretty cool, but that's because it's too big. Creative folding is not OK for this contest. Many obstacles are only difficult for a certain scale of car, and yours exceeds that scale. It's getting a place for now, but it can't keep it. I also noticed that you didn't use all of the motor power allotted for the contest, but it could really use the extra push sometimes.
Overall a cool vehicle. I like the internal structure and the wheels.
@Username
Wow, going the simple route. If it works, it works, though. I like how you used a driveshaft type device to double as propulsion. Very clever, very good traction. Usually when I look at a car, I have a running commentary in my head about how it could be improved. For this one, I only thought of one thing you could do. I'm not telling what it is, though. Its one major problem on the course is how frequently it set off the lift too early. You got really lucky that when I decided I was ready to make a graded run, it made the lift for the first time out of the last five tries.
Frank

Postby RaRaMalum » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Needs no human input, I thought "unaided" meant automatic.
It uses a raunit and has a stuck detection system so it will try to free itself by reversing a bit.

I think it follows all the rules for "hardcore"

Filesize: 124.64 kB
download
Phundamentalists, come to the dark side.
We have much cooler toys.
RaRaMalum
[Best newcomer 2010]

Postby Sniperkasa » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Filesize: 109.85 kB
download

This one should be.. a bit more to the rules ;D Its harcode.. just btw :P
If you have a question, have a dollar and call somebody that cares.
No really just PM me if you have a problem :)
Sniperkasa

Next

Return to Contests