Algodoo 1.8.0 released!

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

Re: Algodoo 1.7.8 beta released!

Postby Matten » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am

Nice!
Matten

Postby emilk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:23 am

Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Postby electronicboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:27 pm

great release.

could you make a new forum section for the beta releases.
this would make it easier to find all the bugs listed and would make this topic less cramped.
electronicboy

Postby Rideg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:52 pm

I noticed that the tracers have a slight visible border. (depends how fara away the camera is zoomed. Is there a way to remove theese borders ? )
Rideg

Postby emilk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:33 am

Rideg wrote:I noticed that the tracers have a slight visible border. (depends how fara away the camera is zoomed. Is there a way to remove theese borders ? )

I believe that border is only visible with shaders on and when the tracer crosses its own path. This is an artifact due to the rendering method used. You can switch methods with App.tracerOverdraw.
emilk

Postby Rideg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:14 pm

I tryes changing the variable to true but nothing happened :/
Rideg

Postby emilk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am

Ah, you mean the actual tracer, not the trailing line. Yeah, that's a separate, and small, yet annoying problem.

This is a general problem with all textures in Algodoo, though most visible with the tracer. Basically it boils down to Algodoo not rendering using pre-multiplied alpha. To do it correctly in all cases would require a change to the entire rendering pipe-line of Algodoo. And I'll probably do that in at a later date. For now, I'll look at a quick fix for this particular problem.
emilk

Postby Rideg » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Oops should've been a little more accurate sorry. Great! thanks for improving Algodoo :D
Rideg

Postby Gent » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 am

Hi emilk and all, I'm not sure if this problem is directly related to 1.7.8 as I have had this problem in the past but I have stuff get stuck to the background for no reason and it can be very frustrating!
Here is an example:
http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=45270
The grey exhaust pipes are glued to the oil pan at the bottom of the engine. If you start the sim the whole engine will fall.
If you fixtate any part of the thing to the background, so you can work on it then delete the fixtate later the exhaust pipes stay glued to the background. This is extreamly frustrating and I have spent lots more time trying to work around problems like this than I do building my projects! Any help or a solution to this behavior would be appreciated!
Keep up the great work, I'm sure this is a minor glitch. Thanks!

Gent
Gent

Postby emilk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:37 am

Gent wrote:Hi emilk and all, I'm not sure if this problem is directly related to 1.7.8 as I have had this problem in the past but I have stuff get stuck to the background for no reason and it can be very frustrating!
Here is an example:
http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=45270
The grey exhaust pipes are glued to the oil pan at the bottom of the engine. If you start the sim the whole engine will fall.
If you fixtate any part of the thing to the background, so you can work on it then delete the fixtate later the exhaust pipes stay glued to the background. This is extreamly frustrating and I have spent lots more time trying to work around problems like this than I do building my projects! Any help or a solution to this behavior would be appreciated!
Keep up the great work, I'm sure this is a minor glitch. Thanks!

Gent

Hi, and thanks for that report - that's a new issue for me.

The bad news is, it's not easily fixable in the current code base. When you fixate something to something else, their bodies combine, and that's that. So for instance, if you take a group of glued geometries and fixate them to another group of glued geometries, Algodoo forgets all about the old bodies/groups and consider the whole combination one big body. And so there is no way to recover the old groupings (except by doing it explicitly).

The same problem occurs above - you fixate an object to the background, which combines its body with the (immovable) world body. Algodoo forgets about which geometries used to be glued together and treats them all as "same body". So when you delete the fixate, Algodoo assumes you want only to let the geometry that was fixated come loose.

To fix this for the general case, something far more clever will need to be done, with a concept of geometry groups that goes beyond a shared body. I will consider this for a future update, but don't hold your breath.

However, for the special case of gluing something to the background, there should be a simpler fix - by not combining the bodies, only making the new body static (infinite in inertia). I shall look into that for an upcoming update, though it won't make it into the 1.8.0 release. Basically that would make "glue to background" somewhat equivalent to setting the density to +inf.

Now, to help you right now, you can do things differently. If you do as described above, and set the density of one geometry to +inf, it will get an infinite inertia, and so be perfectly immovable. Or, instead of gluing it to background, use two hinges instead. Or put it resting on a plane. Or just turn off gravity.
emilk

Postby Kilinich » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:14 am

[quote="emilk"]
Hi, and thanks for that report - that's a new issue for me.
[/quote]

It was reported in beta testing of first algodoo (after phun) AFAIK ;-) and nothing changed from that time.
BWT- can you use "entity" in that case to separate "bodies" or add new subBody attrib?
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby Gent » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks for the reply and explanation!!
Gent

Postby emilk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:08 pm

The beta period is over! 1.8 is live! Thanks for all your help!

1.7.8->1.8.0 changelog:

=== Algodoo 1.8.0, 2010-09-16 ===
* Tab-completion and search (/) in console now shows information about suggestions (value, default, description).
* Better choice of default resolution when starting Algodoo.
* Fixed missing "Eraser" checkbox from brush tool menu.
* Fixed problem with laser pen tool and snapping.
* Better looking thin polygons while drawing with brush tool.
* Changed scaling factors (App.scalePow*) so as to ensure same behavior when scaling uniformly, given no external forces.
* Changed force and velocity arrow scales to be of more natural units (m/N and m/(m/s)=s respectively)
* Improved plane sketch recognition.
* Fixed minor issue when setting negative speed for a group of glued geometries.
* Made the text in the information window (under the context menu) selectable for easy copying of values.
* Fixed issue with cutting an object remotely glued to another.
* Fixed undo for color sliders.
* Fixed problem where tracer head would not draw, or draw with wrong color.
* Fixed gear-tool not creating a group.
* Fixed bug where entering a slider value with the keyboard would sometimes not do anything, and/or not be undoable.
* Console now keeps command history between runs.
* Fixed some fonts sometimes missing cursor for empty text boxes.
* Fixed "Random Color(s)" always picking a color from palette, even for color sliders which didn't affect entities.
* Enabled throwing with clone tool.
* Fixed issue with logfile sometimes not being written if Algodoo crashed (which is exactly when you want it to be written).
* Fixed issue with showing plot for spring.
* The hinge sketch now works like the hinge tool, in that it splits glued bodies.
* Fixed units for some plot derivates.
* Added preview of spring length when using spring tool.
* Fixed some Mac-specific bugs, including over-eagerness to recognize the plane sketch.
* Fixed scaling of attraction and controller acceleration for geometries.
* Improved sketch morphing of straight-edged polygons.
* Added Chinese, Slovak and Spanish translations.
* Fixed issue with undo/redo-lists coming up when clicking on something above them.
emilk

Re: Algodoo 1.8.0 released!

Postby Rideg » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Where can we download Algodoo 1.8 ?
Rideg

Postby tatt61880 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Rideg wrote:Where can we download Algodoo 1.8 ?

Good question. ;)
Download - Algodoo
NOTE: I'm not an Algoryx member.
Hi, Algodoo lovers. Have you read next topic? Featured scenes suggestions
To translators: English.cfg changelog will be useful (even for me).
tatt61880
[Most Helpful Person 2010]

Postby YourBuddyBill » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:05 pm

I found a bug of some sort. The greyscale Gold.png shows up as completely clear. Ill get pics up sometime
YourBuddyBill

Postby Versieon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 am

I think i found a typo in the description

[quote]Improved input handling. Dragging something should [/b]not[/b] provide instant response[/quote]

I think it should say that it does provide an instant response
Versieon

Postby emilk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:23 am

Versieon wrote:I think i found a typo in the description

Improved input handling. Dragging something should [/b]not[/b] provide instant response

I think it should say that it does provide an instant response

You're right, this is a typo - thanks.
emilk

Postby emilk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am

YourBuddyBill wrote:I found a bug of some sort. The greyscale Gold.png shows up as completely clear. Ill get pics up sometime

Palettes does not apply to textures, in so much as a textured object will always have the color of the texture.
emilk

Postby RaRaMalum » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm

The memory leak is still there.
[scene]46327[/scene]
RaRaMalum
[Best newcomer 2010]

Postby Kilinich » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:07 pm

I've upload Russian translation, please include in next release.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=987&p=9619#p9619
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Previous

Return to Official announcements