How To Stay Away From Scripting

Post your tutorials here.

How To Stay Away From Scripting

Postby Physicsguy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:19 am

As you all know, scripting can be hard, or easy. To me, it is hard, so here's a guide to make it easier to make the same thing with mechanics instead of programming.

Let's say you want to make a vending machine. If the money that goes in is 'good' money, it adds to a counter (1 coin, 2 coins...) and if the money is 'bad' it just eats is and doesn't say anything.

The scripting way: The 'good' coins have different OnCollide events on them so that when they collide with they add-to-counter box it adds one to the counter. If the coin is 'bad', they lack the OnCollide event, and simply bounce over the counter and into a delete OnCollide box, thus 'eating' the money.

The mechanical way: All 'good' coins are collision groups A, and all 'bad' coins are collision group B. When a 'good' coin is inserted, the coin bounces down and knocks a block (with collision group only A) which hits a mechanism that displays a number, done with a sequencer. When the number goes back, the next one it prepared, try taking a look at this scene to see what I mean by 'next prepared'. If a 'bad' con comes down, the box and coin don't collide, thus not triggering the mechanism, thus not doing anything, and falling into a hole, 'eating' the money.

The scripting way is much easier if you know Thyme, and much smaller in filesize, simpler to change around, and just cooler. But the mechanical one is even cooler, because there's no 'cheating' way to determine if a coin is good or not, it does it all in a way that is physically possible. Coins do not really hit a mechanism in real life, nor do they bang onto a microchip. There is a special process that has something to do with laser reading (to spark an idea or two) that tells it, I think.

BUT THEY BOTH WORK! THEY DO THE SAME JOB! THEY BOTH HAVE THEIR UPS AND DOWNS! So why not try everything the old fashioned way? Algodoo is a 'Physics' toy, not a 'Program something with 3 blocks to do something extremely complicated' toy. I'm not saying scripting is bad, but it's just not as cool.

So try to make something mechanical next time you think of a challenge, it'll be much more rewarding when it works!

Now there are some things you just can't make without scripting. Well, I say that you're using a PHYSICS program, not a PROGRAMMING program. There are (I think) no programming programs, but if there were, use that to make your programs. I think people with the talent of programming such amazing things with Thyme have the talent to make their own program for others to use! That's a good thing!

My name is 'Physics'guy, not 'Scriting'guy, so you'll never see any scripted scenes form me...

Thanks.
Proud Phundamentalist!
Physicsguy

Re: How To Stay Away From Scripting

Postby Jrv » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm

I suggest putting "Phundamentalist" in your sig, because you clearly are one.
Bang
Jrv
[Best Musician 2010] [Funniest Person 2010] [Most Infamous Member 2010]

Postby RicH » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Yes yes. And you should add it with matching colors like mine :P
Phundamentalist
Although technically those are the colors of Algodoo, not Phun, but meh :P
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:28 pm

You've perswaed me to become a phundamentalist, and RicH can you post the code for the rainbow text.
Nxdt

Postby Jrv » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Rainbow text is, -how should I say it- gay. I wouldn't recommend it.
Bang
Jrv
[Best Musician 2010] [Funniest Person 2010] [Most Infamous Member 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:41 pm

I see what you mean, but i think the phun image of cheery/happienss suits it.
Nxdt

Postby RicH » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:52 pm

JrvUnleashed wrote:Rainbow text is, -how should I say it- gay. I wouldn't recommend it.

Well, I didn't see it as a rainbow before, I only got the idea because of the Algodoo colors. But whatever, it's just font color :lol:

Oh and btw nxdt, why don't you just quote it?
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Silly me, it tried to copy and paste, but i forgot that quoting copys the bbcode as well as the text.
Nxdt

Postby Physicsguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:45 pm

I added Phundamentalist into my sig, pardon me if I spelled that wrong.

If anyone has any other ways around things, post them , and I'll add them!
Proud Phundamentalist!
Physicsguy

Postby guyboy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Physicsguy wrote:There are (I think) no programming programs

Wrong. There are tons.
ImageImage
Human horse pasture expansion OpenGL Book Hall
Kwon owned Version (C) 2002-2008
guyboy

Postby cdh473 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:02 am

guyboy wrote:

Wrong. There are tons.

More than tons.
At least 50 terrabytes of them. :D
Please excuse my posts. I am extremely stupid.
cdh473

Postby Physicsguy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 pm

I think

READ before you CRITICIZE!

Can you give me an example of one? I'm interested:P
Proud Phundamentalist!
Physicsguy

Postby standardtoaster » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 am

Physicsguy wrote:I think

What the fuck do you think Algodoo/Phun was made with?! To name a few... C, C++, C#, kbasic, realbasic, basic, Java, Objective-C, Revolution, Python, etc...
standardtoaster

Postby Physicsguy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:37 am

Wow...

Read this:

cdh473 wrote:
guyboy wrote:

Wrong. There are tons.

More than tons.
At least 50 terrabytes of them. :D

Yep.

Then I said:
Physicsguy wrote:I think

So I know about programming languages. I don't know about programs that make programs. Well I do, but not to this degree.
Proud Phundamentalist!
Physicsguy

Postby izacque » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:58 am

multimedia fusion was designed to make games, but don't let that fool you. You can make many, many kinds of programs with it. I have a friend who uses it and he even screwed up some kid's computer with a vicious virus. It's a very good program-making program
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby glopso » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:43 am

well theres a program called "Game Maker" I used to use that to make games(although you could make other things with it, but not viruses)
Quote from emilk: "We are aiming to commercialize Phun, but exactly how isn't decided yet. But that doesn't mean we are going to start charging you to use Phun. On the contrary, Phun will still be free, and receive regular updates! Not only that, it will be developed even more intensely than before. So what you can expect is more free betas for you to enjoy. What you won't get, however, is the source code; at least not any time soon."
glopso

Postby Conundrumer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:26 am

IMO, the first post is not a tutorial, but a preach. I haven't learned much except stuff like "Thyme is evil"
Conundrumer

Postby Physicsguy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Thyme isn't evil, definitely not! I'm just saying it's being used too much for things that could easily be accomplished with a mech!
Proud Phundamentalist!
Physicsguy

Postby a Mammoth » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 am

I completely agree that people overuse thyme. Mechanics are so much cooler, and what phun was designed for.
I'm now going to add Phundamentalist to my sig.
And As for coinage certification, my soda machine in phunbox1 uses dual collision, it must collide with a and B and it sort of masses it. And it uses no motors, just user energy.

I should note I believe real soda machines use a combination of measuring the radius and capacitance of a coin, they might use optical scanners too, idk.
Phundamentalist, I am.
a Mammoth

Postby cdh473 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey, PG, have you ever heard of MSVC++, MSVB, Code::Blocks, Python, Construct(WYSIWYG), Java SDK, Dev C++, etc.?

& @ A Mammoth, if Emil/Algoryx didn't want us to program everything, they shouldn't have given us all of these new thyming features. I do agree with using mechanisms to a certain extent, but we all need to keep programming, it's good practice. Plus, it gives us programmers a lot of extra use of our imaginations.
Please excuse my posts. I am extremely stupid.
cdh473

Postby izacque » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 am

sigh, he said a bunch of times, he want's an exe (or app if he's a mac) that will code for him. he just has to tell it what to do. like coding minus the syntax. Multimedia Fusion will solve all your problems.
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby davidz40 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:46 am

Rating: rated 6.5
Filesize: 37.28 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 6
download

That's how I was making rockets before thyme was born :D
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Return to Tutorials