Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Blazemann » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:44 pm

So no thyme? How would a library like mine ever work without thyme? It is necessary if we plan on making a good computer.
User avatar
Blazemann
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Blazemann » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Image
Author: Blazemann
Title: 360x2+1 Data Point Disk
File Size: 88.37 kB
Rating: Image
ImageImage
High rate Data Disk. Just the disc, not the reader.
User avatar
Blazemann
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 am

Blazemann wrote:So no thyme? How would a library like mine ever work without thyme? It is necessary if we plan on making a good computer.

No ADDED thyme UNTIL we prove that it can be done without added thyme
I don't really care about whether this computer will be "good" or not. If it's functioning and practical, I consider that already good.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Blazemann » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:27 am

Ah,okay. Well... I am thinking of splitting off and trying a non-logic based computer. Join back-up when you have decided you are ready for thyme.
User avatar
Blazemann
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:11 am

macunixgeek wrote:I'd be happy to design some logic circuits for this if I knew what circuits were needed.

We'll need a hexadecimal 7 segment display. I can't find any logic circuits for a decoder for this, so you can design this.
Also, tell me how you are going to do it. I'm just curious.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby macunixgeek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:52 am

I use a logic circuit simulator called Logisim to test circuits and export schematic images. Aside from that, I just trace the path of the 'electricity' in my head. It's kind of like programming.
Thymer
macunixgeek
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby macunixgeek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 am

Here's the schematic as a .gif file. If you download Logisim, I can upload the circuit file. Image
Thymer
macunixgeek
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Nxdt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Thats the same ciruit i used in my 7seg display, i have allready build and assembled the and/not gates in the correct places. It just needs ajudtments for it to work.
User avatar
Nxdt
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Jaxc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Image
Author: jaxc
Title: Jaxc storage beta
File Size: 452.33 kB
Rating: Image
ImageImage

a somewhat working storage that doesnt use thyme, right now im firugering about how to use it :P
User avatar
Jaxc
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 am

Here's my RAM solution that's not fully functioning yet:
Image
It's a bit laggy because of all the lasers, but I can get them replaced.
macunixgeek wrote:Here's the schematic as a .gif file. If you download Logisim, I can upload the circuit file. Image

Whoa, that's a lot of logic gates. But I think you made a binary-hex decoder, not a binary-7 segment (hex) decoder ._.
I'll make the truth table now
I've actually been working on a logicless binary-hex decoder. So far, I only made it decode octal.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby macunixgeek » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:44 am

It's a binary-hex decoder. I thought that's what you wanted. I didn't know the segment mappings for the display, so I made a 4-16 decoder.
Thymer
macunixgeek
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:39 am

Image
Author: conundrumer
Title: Binary to Hexadecimal laser converter (logicless)
File Size: 510.69 kB
Rating: Image
ImageImage
Here is the logicless version of the binary-hex converter. Once I make a simpler version, I can see how this will be very useful.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:54 am

I have some improved scripted logic gates (since we know it can be done without added Thyme)

Rating: rated 6.1
Filesize: 19.49 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 3
download


Contains XOR, XNOR, NOR/NOT, NAND, OR/ID, AND logic gates.

The only difference is the color of the controlling laser (lower one on the left of each gate). Each channel is 1 or 0 (except opacity which is always 1). Red is the result if no inputs are on, green is the result if one input is on, blue is the result if two inputs are on. If more than two inputs are received the state does not change.

Also, the inputs pass right through unaffected (same identity) if the gate's output is on. This means the XOR and NAND gates also have A AND NOT B, B AND NOT A outputs, the OR/ID gate works as a splitter, the NOR/NOT gate does not produce extra outputs, and the rest also produce A AND B outputs.

These gates can also be made extremely small.

Edit: I am also happy to design logic circuits.
Edit #2: Fixed mistake in the description.
Last edited by immibis on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 pm

That's some pretty nice logic gates. Although it will require a few lasers as logic input (which defines the logic gate), we can mess around with optimization for the data input.
Also, make it stop saying hi, lol

I've actually gotten started on the optical disc drive. I will upload the beta soon, and I might need some help with making it read and write.

EDIT: Will the logic lasers be able to evaluate data from multiple logic gates?
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 pm

The controlling lasers have maxRays = 1, so they shouldn't lag much if at all. What do you mean by "make it stop saying hi"?
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:19 am

immibis wrote:The controlling lasers have maxRays = 1, so they shouldn't lag much if at all. What do you mean by "make it stop saying hi"?

Although there will be a limit on the number of rays, given a sufficient amount of lasers (regardless of the number of rays), there will be lag. A solution I proposed is making all the logic gates "powered" by certain types of lasers that split and spread throughout the circuit "powering" (ie to make functional) the logic gates.

Also, look in the console for greetings by logic gates.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:10 am

I fixed my logic gates on Algobox, they're no longer as friendly.
Edit: Also, how will splitting one control laser help? It'll be less lasers, but a lot more rays than it would be with one laser per gate. If it's the number of rays that matter then that would lag.
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 am

I tested and confirmed that the logic input laser can be used multiple times. These logic gates are really good.
I suggest reducing the number of lasers as a priority because it takes more than 10 rays to have the lag equivalent to a single laser.
To continue with the standardization kind of thing, I think you should assign colors for the logic input lasers.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:52 am

Conundrumer wrote:I tested and confirmed that the logic input laser can be used multiple times. These logic gates are really good.

Thank you. Please rate them on Algobox so other people can see that they're good.
Conundrumer wrote:I suggest reducing the number of lasers as a priority because it takes more than 10 rays to have the lag equivalent to a single laser.

I could move the update script from the control laser's onLaserHit to the box's onHitByLaser, then every gate (even different types) could be hit by the same laser to make them update. A separate laser is still necessary for when no inputs are around, and things will act weirdly if I use the output laser for that and it's used as the input for another gate.
Conundrumer wrote:To continue with the standardization kind of thing, I think you should assign colors for the logic input lasers.


I'm not sure what you mean by that. It doesn't matter what colour any of the lasers are in my design (except for the control lasers where the colour defines what type of gate it is)
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm

immibis wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:I suggest reducing the number of lasers as a priority because it takes more than 10 rays to have the lag equivalent to a single laser.

I could move the update script from the control laser's onLaserHit to the box's onHitByLaser, then every gate (even different types) could be hit by the same laser to make them update. A separate laser is still necessary for when no inputs are around, and things will act weirdly if I use the output laser for that and it's used as the input for another gate.

So theoretically, any two arbitrary lasers can power a logic gate? That would be even better.
I brought up the colors because I thought the control lasers needed to exist and identifying them by color would be useful, but now that you say that the control script can be moved to the box, the color of the control laser will now be green to represent a laser that powers the logic gate..

EDIT: Edited first post with the prototype optical disc
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:57 am

A very laggy seven-segment decoder made of my logic gates (old version). The control lasers for the splitters are shared between each column of splitters, the rest of the gates use their own (because it's complicated to share them for gates that aren't all on or off at the same time)
Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 51.98 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 2
download


I suggest using pure cyan ([0.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0]) for the control lasers and pure red ([1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0]) for the data - both of these contrast with the default background and each other well enough to be visible.

Also, a variation on my previous logic gates. The script is in the boxes rather than the control lasers (which must be coloured pure cyan). I haven't tested whether multiple rays and one laser (plus the geometries necessary to split it) is less laggy than multiple lasers with one ray each and no extra geometries.
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 12.39 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:42 am

That laser 7 segment display is amazing. I'm pretty sure that reducing the number of lasers would make it far less laggy. I'll work on making that seven segment display less laggy by using the new logic gates.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:00 am

Conundrumer wrote:That laser 7 segment display is amazing.

Thanks! The decoder's logic diagram was generated by Logisim (http://logisim.sourceforge.net/) from a truth table. A BCD-to-7-segment decoder (which only handles the digits 0 to 9) would be much simpler, but of course it would be hard to convert from binary to BCD as there might be more than one digit per nibble (4 bits).
Conundrumer wrote: I'm pretty sure that reducing the number of lasers would make it far less laggy. I'll work on making that seven segment display less laggy by using the new logic gates.

You can try, but the main thing about the new logic gates is that the same control laser can be used to power all of them. I'm not sure whether that's better or worse for lag because of the extra geometries required. Anyway, can't we use a Thymed decoder now that we've proved it possible without extra Thyme?
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby Conundrumer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:39 am

immibis wrote:Anyway, can't we use a Thymed decoder now that we've proved it possible without extra Thyme?

We can, but the network of lasers looks so beautiful ;_;
Yes, you may make a thymed decoder, while I just polish it up.
Also, consider how to work out the reading and writing for the RAM and optical disc in the first post. I'll add some more updates later on defining the exact inputs and outputs.
User avatar
Conundrumer
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Digital Laser Computer Collab (DLCC)

Postby immibis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:04 am

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 428.49 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

It's very fast, and has the display on top of the decoder thanks to collision groups. (although this does mean the input lasers can't be in B or C. Uses 12 (!) lasers internally - one for interpreting each input bit, one controlling each segment, and one extra.
Thymechanic
immibis
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Collab forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests