How to Make a Compound Bow

Post your tutorials here.

How to Make a Compound Bow

Postby FruitMonger » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 am

This tutorial will tell you how to make a compound bow step by step. Well, let's get started!

Step 1:First, you'll have to make a rectangle about this big.

Step 2: Make another, smaller rectangle, hinged to the top of the first rectangle.

Step 3: Copy the smaller rectangle and the hinge, make the rectangle a little longer, and put them both at these angles.

Step 4: Put these bars onto the biggest rectangle, and put these springs on in the correct places.

Step 5: Then copy all of that stuff (except for the biggest rectangle) and put it at the bottom of the large rectangle.

Step 6: Make all of the springs' strength equal 10-20, and make the damping equal 0.

Step 7: Then make a box with two hinges, one at the bottom and one at the top, and click "use as chain".

Step 8: After you do that, zoom out a bit and make one chain-link. If it's too small, zoom out some more. If it's too big, zoom in a little. One you've got it at a size that you like, hold the Shift key, click and hold on the second to top corner of the highest rectangle, and drag to the second lowest corner of the lowest rectangle. Then you will have the bowstring.

Step 9: Now, you may have noticed two small rectangles in the middle of the largest rectangle. Those rectangles are very important. Make a center hinge on the largest rectangle, so you can see the center, and make two somewhat small rectangles above and below it. Make the rectangles weigh about 20 KG's, so your arrow won't go right through them on accident. Delete the hinge (if you like) and replace it with a fixation. I like to have a fixation, so it's always at the angle that I want it at, but a hinge will let you change the angle on the fly.

Step 10
: Now you'll have to change the hinges on the bowstring so that they have +inf strength, and are set on auto brake. Also, make the bowstring weigh about 10 KG's, so that the hinges are stronger. Hinges are always stronger with a heavier object.

Step 10: Now, you're finally going to make your arrow! Make a long and narrow rectangle, and make a perfect square at the end by holding the Shift key. Now flip the square into a diamond position, and scale it so that it gets longer. Move it into a long narrow rectangle, untill the corners are just inside of the rectangle. You'll have to make your arrow shaft narrow enough to just fit between the two rectangles in the middle of your bow. Fixate them together, and you're done with your arrow!

Step 11: Now you make the body of the bow collide with nothing, and you're pretty much done!

Try not to have the arrow pulled back all of the way for too long, or it won't shoot quite right, and the bowstring might get caught on the spring bars sometimes, (hardly at all) but other than that, it should work great! Have fun with your new Compound bow! Please tell me what you thought of this tutorial, this bow, and how you think I could make them both better. Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!(Or night)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
If you had trouble making this bow, or are just too lazy to make it, here's the complete compound bow for download.

Rating: rated 6.6
Filesize: 324.06 kB
Comments: 5
Ratings: 4
download
Last edited by FruitMonger on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
FruitMonger

Re: How to Make Compound Bow

Postby Mystery » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:36 am

Sweet. Very clever, i might try making one of these.
Mystery

Re: How to Make Compound Bow

Postby FruitMonger » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:38 am

Thanks allot, man :D .
FruitMonger

Re: How to Make a Compound Bow

Postby niffirg1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Hmm... I have a sudden urge to go Hunting.... 1200 style
niffirg1

Postby FruitMonger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:53 am

niffirg1 wrote:Hmm... I have a sudden urge to go Hunting.... 1200 style

1200 style? Like, year 1200? :wtf:
FruitMonger

Postby tudoreleuu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Very nice tutorial, also, on your bow, I replaced the center fixation with a centerhinge that is motored, moves at 2,10 RPM, infinite torque, autobrake, infinite strenght. With that, I managed to hit alot better. I got 7 bullseyes, can you guys get more?
tudoreleuu

Return to Tutorials