How to make a non-thyme burst rocket

Post your tutorials here.

How to make a non-thyme burst rocket

Postby FruitMonger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

What I mean by burst rocket, is that it just gives you a burst of power, and then it's over.

First of all you need to put two rectangles next to each other, going up and down, with a bit of space in between them, and fixate them together with a block at the top.

Then you make two big balls at the bottom of the two rectangles. Put them pretty close together, but leave some space in between. Then add a center hinge to both of them. Make the hinges have +inf strength, and make the rpm something like 200 or 300. Give the two balls some large amount of friction like 40 or 30. Then you'll want to set the hinges to a key, so that they spine in the one on the right spins clock-wise, and the one on the right spins counter-clock-wise.

Now we'll make the fuel for your rocket. Make a circle that is juuust too big to get through the gap between the spinning balls, and make it quite heavy; 50-80 Kg should work, but I like to make it 100. Copy the circle multiple times, untill it fills up the rocket.

Then, if you hold the key that makes the balls spin, it should shoot up into the air for a bit, and fall down to the ground. To make it even more effective, you can make a slightly heavy rectangle inside of the top block, fixate it, and give it about -30 attraction. Make the rectangle collide with only Collision Group B, and make the fuel collide with Collision Groups A and B.
Also, you can put a simple Gyroscope on it, so it won't shoot to the left or the right too far.

You might want to make the rocket body a little lighter, but you're mostly done! I think this rocket would be most usefull on a rocket car, as a rocket pack, etc. etc. Have fun with your new burst rocket!
(you can also use it as a weapon :lol: )

Please feel free to tell me if this rocket sucks, if it's the greatest invention ever, or how you think I could make it better. :D
(Sorry about not having any pictures to help.)
Last edited by FruitMonger on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
FruitMonger

Re: How to make a non-thyme burst rocket

Postby Chronos » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:44 am

So simple it's awesome.

Sure, this have been around since Phun 3, but no one uses them anymore, so they're awesome. Now it's just shitty scripted rockets.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby FruitMonger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:46 am

Thanks allot, Chronos! :D
FruitMonger

Postby Chronos » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:48 am

Yeah, I figured I might as well get my praise in before everyone comes in saying that this sucks because it's been around forever, and that anyone could do it. Even though no one does anymore.
Chronos

Postby FruitMonger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 am

When I made this rocket, I thought, "Hey, people use this method of launching stuff for guns...so why not make a rocket!" And, I didn't want to go through the hassle of scripting a rocket. :problem:
FruitMonger

Postby Rrobba » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Chronos wrote:Yeah, I figured I might as well get my praise in before everyone comes in saying that this sucks because it's been around forever, and that anyone could do it. Even though no one does anymore.

Shame they lost popularity...
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Postby Mr_Stabby » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Rrobba wrote:Shame they lost popularity...

for a good reason, since rocket engines are yet another thing that algodoo with current computer hardware just cant simulate efficently for any reasonable amount of time in comes thyme to compensate and fake the result. No need to make thyme out as the antichrist because imo first and foremost its here to make up for the shortcomings of simulation power
Mr_Stabby

Postby Chronos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Yeah, but people don't use it for that. They use it because they're downright lazy and are too stupid to build mechanically.
Chronos

Postby Rrobba » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Chronos wrote:Yeah, but people don't use it for that. They use it because they're downright lazy and are too stupid to build mechanically.

Exactly. They do it because its the easy way out not because its more lag efficient. Although you do see them every now and then.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Postby davidz40 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 pm

I always try to solve mechanically everything that can be solved this way.
But thyme rockets have huge advantage over mechanical in terms of amout of fuel, thrust, stability and lag.
On the other hand, still much can be done without thyme.
Rating: rated 6.5
Filesize: 37.28 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 6
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Return to Tutorials