New Downhill Derby Contest

This is a forum for Algodoo contests by our users. An official contest forum will be announced shortly.

New Downhill Derby Contest

Postby KingRoadTrophy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:35 am

As boredom sets in, so do ideas! Here are the rules to the New Downhill Derby Contest (NDDC):
FINAL NEW DOWNHILL DERBY CONTEST RULES:
1. Car may NOT contain any motors, springs, explosives, or anything attached to anything else than the car (for example, you can't chain your car to the finish or start lines, or to heavy objects, or opponents' cars, etc.)
2. Car's (and car parts') geometry sliders may be modified to up to 0.85. No further.
3. Car must fit inside of the lowest clear red rectangle when resting on the red rectangular platform, but noncolliding things don't have to fit.
4. Car may only take up one collision channel, but non-colliding parts are allowed as decoration. On a sidenote, you may make noncolliding weapons and such, but they don't count when crossing the finish line.
5. Car (and car parts) must not be obscene in any way, but they CAN be violent/bloody, to an extent.
6. Car may not copy anyone else's designs, nor any parts from their designs.
7. Car may have tracks.
8. Car may have up to 4 wheels, but 1-wheeled creations must either balance without assistance or have a sliding part that essentially replaces a wheel.
9. Car may be destructible/destroyable/crushable/in multiple, loosely connected pieces, but all pieces must cross the finish line to actually finish the ramp.
10. Car MUST have a body; it must have something other than wheels/tracks/etc. in its design.
11. No placing many, many objects within a confined space to attempt to make the car heavier.
12. No cheating. Cheating will result in disqualification.
13. There is a maximum of 10 decent-sized parts ( 0.6 and more square meters in area) and 15 smaller parts (less than 0.6 square meters in area)
14. Car MUST fit in the purple box.
15. Car MUST be made in algodoo PHUN edition.

Also, there will be a New Downhill Derby Contest Beginners' Division (NDDCBD), where all of the rules are the same, except that the following rules have been changed to:
2. Car's (and car parts') geometry sliders MUST BE DEFAULTS, so don't touch them.
7. Car MAY NOT have tracks.
11. No cheating. Cheating will result in warning, then second warning, then third warning, then disqualification.
12. You don't have to use common sense, but it's recommended.

On top of all of that, as a rule of thumb, you may make as many cars as you like, but only enter one at a time. Specify what car you're entering, or your representative vehicle.
Oh and the scores will be the final rankings.

Entries:
~KRT(entry below)
~
~
~
~
~
~

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=39206
Last edited by KingRoadTrophy on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
KingRoadTrophy

Re: New Downhill Derby Contest

Postby Under Ground » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 pm

What is the scoring system like?
Under Ground

Postby KingRoadTrophy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:41 am

Under Ground wrote:What is the scoring system like?

The scores will be the final rankings.
KingRoadTrophy

Postby s_noonan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:47 am

I suggest that you should state a weight limit in the rules. I assume that the cars will be judged only on speed. I would think a simpler set of rules may work. For example:

1. Fit inside a specified space.
2. Weigh below a specified weight.
3. No propulsion devices (motors, rocket engines, spring engines ...)
4. Parts that contact the track to have a minimum coefficient of friction of 0.5.
5. All attraction settings to be left as default.

I just uploaded a "Race Track Timer" to the Scenes section. I also created a weight scale in a "Pinewood Derby" scene that you may be able to use.
s_noonan

Postby greev » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 am

greev

Postby Rrobba » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:19 pm

What scoring system will be used? What will you choose the winners, based on what? Speed? Looks?
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Return to Contests