1.7 beta

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

1.7 beta

Postby emilk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey there!

The next iteration of Algodoo is coming along nicely - in fact so nicely that I thought you'd might like to have a preview of it! So here you go: Algodoo 1.6.3, a beta of the next version of Algodoo (which will eventually be called 1.7.0). Now, being a beta, there may still be a few issues with it, and some things may come to change before the final release. So don't get mad if you make a scene or skin for it that won't work in the final release.

"Skin?" I hear you ask. Yes, one of the new features of Algodoo is a brand new skin, by the new in-house Algodoo artist Jonatan Persson, as well as the ability for you to create your very own skins! But that's not all. Making a grand return is the sketch tool, more powerful than ever there is now very little that it can't be used for. The new sketch tool is in particularly brilliant on a touch screen/board/tablet. But let me stop there - the full changelog can be found below.

So, download, try it and tell us what you think! Oh, and make your own skins and palettes =)

Edit: a good idea is to remove your old config.cfg before installing this version.
Edit 2: this beta is only available for those who have purchased Algodoo.
Edit 3: Linux version now available
Edit 4: 1.6.4 released (Win32 and Linux64 only at the moment). Changelog at bottom.
Edit 5: 1.6.5 released (Win32). Changelog at bottom.
Edit 6: 1.6.6 released (Win32, MaxOS X and Linux64). Changelog at bottom.
Edit 7: 1.7.0 released! Download it here.

Feedback and bug reports welcome here.

- Emil

Download beta for Linux64 (1.6.6) (full 1.7.0 Linux release coming in a few days).

Full changelog Algodoo 1.6.0 => 1.6.3:

New features:
* The sketch tool is back - with a vengeance! Use it to create polygons, circles, boxes, planes, hinges, fixates, springs, chains, tracers and more!
* A much improved help menu with a few wizard-like tutorials.
* Skins - Change the textures, colors and font of the menus in Algodoo. Read about how to make your own in "/skins/About skins.txt" under the installation directory.
* Palettes - Change the default color scheme of new or existing objects.
* Algodoo Installer files (*.phi) - A simple .zip archive that when opened in Algodoo gets extracted to the users home directory. Using .phi files you can easily share fonts, translations, palettes, scenes, skins and textures.
* Better sliders: When changing the attributes of several objects: drag the right mouse button on the slider to define a range of values. Move that range with the middle mouse button.

Changed behavior:
* Brush size is now zoom-independent
* In the appearance menu all geometries have an option to show all forces acting on them, thus showing forces for a single object. There is also a similar options for velocities.
* Visualize Forces now visualizes contact forces in both direction (Newtons third)
* Selection rectangles around springs and laser pointers are now anti aliased
* Several instances of Algodoo can now run at once, but opening an Algodoo file (*.phz, *.phn, *.phi) will still open it in the previous instance (if any)
* Shaders are on by default

UI changes:
* Algodoo now uses an entirely new default skin, created by Algodoo's new artist Jonathan.
* All GUI windows are now movable and snaps to other windows and to the screen edges. They can also be thrown. Toolbar switches between horizontal and vertical based on what it snaps to.
* The context menu can now be set to only appear when you right-click, double-click or click-hold objects (classic behavior)
* When you save a file, the standard author is changed to the name which the file is saved in
* The cursor always shows up when options are open (and the options can now be opened with ctrl+p).
* You must now right-click or double-click a tool-icon to bring up its settings (Brush, Gear and Chain-tool only)
* "New scene" now clears force/velocity visualization settings
* Some fixes for plots
* Added "Big buttons" button to increase GUI.scale
* To select objects you no longer need to encircle them entirely (just some 4/5 of them). Change with App.GUI.selectFactor

Other:
* Added the ability to generate font files for a specific 8-bit character set. See console command FontGenerator.Gen for details (Windows only in this beta).
* Better support for multiple screens in Windows
* Translucent and transparent objects now have brighter borders (for objects with opaque borders)

Bug fixes:
* Fixed a problem when pasting into a text field. Should now allow for several lines being pasted
* Fixed a problem with Thyme code disappearing
* Fixed an issue with force vectors being drawn the wrong way
* Tools now disband if the objects they operate on disappear
* When cutting a internal gear the hinge is now kept intact
* Fixed a bug with incorrect inertia calculations for polygons
* Fixed a bug that would cause object borders to be incorrectly serialized
* The hue color slider will no longer reset when saturation or brightness reach singularities.
* Fixed a problem with Keys.bind which sometimes caused button pressed to be ignored if the simulation was paused

Changelog 1.6.3 => 1.6.4:
* Slider labels now lose focus when you press enter (thanks Roast Beef)
* The results of shader compilation is no longer spammed into the log file and console (thanks tatt)
* Improved script menu allowing multi-line functions
* Fixed a crash caused by typing stuff in the script command box
* Fixed a bug with cutting selected objects where unselected joints would also be cut
* Fixed some bugs related to removing geometries that where both glued and fixated
* Fixes some issues with widgets moving on top of each other when resizing window or changing GUI.scale (Big buttons)
* Algodoo now works correctly with Windows Aero Snap
* Global variables with names conflicting with entity attributes (e.g. "color", "pos" etc) no longer interferes with deserialization
* Fixed a problem where a lasers would not be able to point in perfect multiples of 45°.
* Fixed spelling mistake for Plot_Energy_Potential_Gravity_Output (thanks tatt)
* Fixed a problem with press-and-holding the mirror button for a bunch of objects.
* Fixed a problem with the context menu not closing when deleting a selected object
* Slightly better border coloring
* Tracers can now grow arbitrarily long
* Fixed unlock menu not closing after successful unlock
* Fixed "Meta_ForcedFont" not working (thanks yet again, tatt!)
* Added logic that tries to figure out if an old scene had border on or off by default.
* Added missing jpeg.dll (Windows)
* Fixed a bug that would change the values of sliders just by inspection
* Fixed an issue with drawing a selection for translucent white water with shaders
* Added ability to erase scenes in the "Load scene" menu
* Added Japanese translation by tatt

Changelog 1.6.4 => 1.6.5:
* Script menu:
** You now have to press shift-enter to make a new-line in the script menu.
** When making coding mistakes in the script menu the code is no longer erased.
** Entering something in the command box will now rebuild the script menu (showing any new attributes).
* Increased GUI.clickTimeTolerance from 0.3 to 0.4 seconds.
* Fixed a problem with .phi files not creating the necessary directories (thanks tatt).
* Fixed problem with minimizing in Windows.
* Reverted to old behavior when dragging an object tracked/followed by camera.
* Improved the behavior of using a tool (other than drag tool) on objects tracked/followed by camera (e.g. moving it). You can change this behavior with "Scene.Camera.suspendFollowIfTooling".
* Fixed a minor issue with skin and palette list reloading every second.
* Fixed a problem where undoing with the context menu open would yield a bad context menu.
* Erase buttons are now hidden when not unlocked.
* Added error message if failing to save a palette.
* Fixed a problem with the spring menu not opening for springs between two world bodies.
* Fixed spring strength being naught when coming loose after being connected to two world bodies.
* Fixed clouds from moving around when reloading GUI.
* Fixed an issue where joints would always change color when modifying a palette with auto-apply palette set to true.
* Fixed an issue where GUI-windows wouldn't hide when move, rotate or drag-tool was triggered by the sketch tool.

Changelog 1.6.5 => 1.6.6:
* Removed shader linking spam
* Smoother auto-apply of palette
* Fixed a problem with Key.bind (F12 should now work again for screenshots)
* Reverted the "delete geometries both glued and fixated" fix from before since it caused more bugs that it solved
* Added cvar App.killerPlanes to easily add and remove the default killer planes
* Fixed a problem with drawing self-intersecting polygons (like pentagrams).
* Added slider for chain size (no longer zoom dependent)
* Fonts now have equal width for characters +-0123456789
* Slight redesign of entity information
* Button input chooser (for stuff like laser activation) now uses left/right shift/alt/ctrl/meta buttons explicitly instead of the commons (e.g. "left shift" instead of just "shift")
* Clicking and holding to open context menu now only occurs if no modifiers (CTRL, SHIFT, ...) are down.
* Being slow in using drag, move and rotate tools should now never open the context menu
* Script menu now comes in just one long list, but you can throw the window to "scroll" down.
* Fixed an issue with widgets disappearing when closing Algodoo with hidden windows.
* Scale tool now resizes single objects immediately even when ALT is not pressed.
* Added "Select by encircling" options to Sketch, cut, box and polygon tool options (all linked to App.GUI.allowDrawSelect)
* Added serialization of tool options (so that brush size etc are now saved between sessions).
* Added Swedish translation.

Changelog 1.6.6 => 1.7.0:
* Fixed Swedish translation.
* Made parsing of translation files more forgiving.
* Fixed an issue with the command history of the console.
* Fixed a issue where FontFormater.Gen would not overwrite existing files.
* Fixed so that all boxes now have the classic arial_black font.
* You can now double/triple click to pan/zoom on any object (not only background).
* Fixed icons for mirror buttons in camera menu (thanks Kilinich).
* Fixed an issue whith scenes moving when loaded from _ONEXITSAVE (thanks again, Kilinich).
* Hinge sketch snaps to center of circles.
* Fixed a bug with slider ranges (thanks tatt).
* Fixed a problem with some fonts/encodings not being able to display "²" (these now show "^2" instead).
* Hid the "colorHSVA" attribute from the script menu since it isn't serialized (use "color = math.HSV2RGB([h,s,v])++[a]" instead).
* Fixed more forgiving parsing of serial key.
* Fixed sketch tool fixate preview.

That's it! Have a nice day.
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Re: 1.7 beta

Postby Nxdt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for making this emil! I love the new skin and palettes features and the new button icons and general layout of stuff is much better. :) Thanks for bringing the right click menu back, construction is mcuh easier.
Nxdt

Postby xplane80 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Emil, thanks for letting the beta be out for everyone.
xplane80

Postby HUNKOFMEAT » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

is this available to everyone or only people who paid for the full version?
HUNKOFMEAT

Postby xplane80 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm

[quote="HUNKOFMEAT"]is this available to everyone or only people who paid for the full version?[/quote]
Everyone I think.
xplane80

Postby xplane80 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:08 pm

The feature that the windows are movable & rotate and that have "physics" to them.
xplane80

Postby izacque » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Emil, I love you.
izacque

Postby pirate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:31 pm

so if version 1.7 if free to all can someone please tell me why i paid $60 USD for version 1.6
pirate

Postby Rhett97 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 am

YES!! The right click menu is back!! I love you emil!
Rhett97

Postby niffirg1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 am

Sweetness!
niffirg1

Postby niffirg1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 am

Hey i found a problem.... Then script menu for objects is too big so i cannot type in that box at the bottom. I need to use it too.
niffirg1

Postby niffirg1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 am

My toolbar and sim control are now on top of each other!!!!! How do i fix it???
niffirg1

Postby Sonic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:58 am

I LOVE that the right click menus are back!!!!
Sonic

Postby Paradigm 29 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:03 am

The whole day came and went before I noticed this.

Now I'll be up all night.
Paradigm 29

Postby kilebantick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 am

Woohoo, thankyou :D
kilebantick

Postby Mystery » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 am

This is sweet love the skins!
Mystery

Postby emilk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 am

Hi, thanks for all the nice feedback =)

No, this isn't available for anyone - if you don't have a Algodoo license it will work just like the public demo, i.e. for 15 hours.

Also, it is probably a good idea to remove your old config.cfg before installing the 1.7 beta.
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Postby RicH » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 am

Wow. Just, wow. Time to make some skins!! :D
Thanks Emil.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Chronos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Awesome. I forgot to comment here yesterday. I love the new skin options, I love that the right-click menu is back (now it'll take as much time getting used to it as the other menu did >.<), and I love it all. Pure win.
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Dakta » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Emil Ernerfeldt FTW!

Thanks man!

Wow, I haven't been following the updates at all, I am soo out of date... :facepalm:

Time to get demo for school and then install at home.

I really appreciate all these updates and changed behaviours, they're pretty much just what we needed! Thanks man!
Dakta

Postby Kilinich » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Can't support all of that "wow", guys. I don't like skins (who need it?) and seems like not much bugfixes and no new features/optimizations at all... On a bright side - project still running so I'm glad to hear this.
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby chaff » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 am

All who vote Emil for supreme ruler of the world say aye.

Time to get to work :D
chaff

Postby RaRaMalum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 am

[quote="Kilinich"]Can't support all of that "wow", guys. I don't like skins (who need it?) and seems like not much bugfixes and no new features/optimizations at all... On a bright side - project still running so I'm glad to hear this.[/quote]

Agreed, I kind of expected more, or atleast something else.
There was nothing wrong with the looks and feel of the old menus and I really don't see the use of a skin feature. The only program I've seen inplement skins with success is Winamp.

I'm glad there are some updates and don't get me wrong the new looks works nicely aswell.
RaRaMalum
[Best newcomer 2010]

Postby electronicboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:39 pm

now all i need is for my new keyboard to come.
electronicboy

Postby daniels220 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:55 am

I noticed one changed behavior that isn't in the list and might be a bug. In 1.6.0, when you made the camera follow an object and then dragged that object, the camera continued to follow it. That made for kinda weird behavior sometimes, but it was smooth and predictable. In 1.6.3, dragging an object that is being followed (though [i]not[/i] objects hinged to it) causes the following to stop. Then, when you let go of the object, the view snaps back so the Center of Gravity of that object is where it was before. Basically, the drag tool has become the move tool in how it interacts with following, and it's incredibly jarring and makes just playing around with stuff really difficult.
daniels220

Next

Return to Official announcements