HaakonXCI's guide on how to bend light.

Post your tutorials here.

HaakonXCI's guide on how to bend light.

Postby HaakonXCI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Hello, I'm going to explain to you how to bend light in Algodoo using a simple method I have found to be quite effective and useful for making elaborate scenes.

------

1. Start out by creating a circle (Enable the grid and make a 2x2 using the default 1m zoom). Here is an example of what it should look like: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/HaakonXCI/Screenshots/Phun%20Tutorial%20Bending%20Light/bltut11.jpg

2. Make sure the Context Menu is open. Then click on "Import Phunlet"

3. Choose "Optics..." then select "LaserWallRed.phz" and import it into your scene

4. Now that you have that imported you will notice that it is really big so now click on your scale tool and hold Shift+LeftMouseButton and resize it roughly down to the size of the image shown here: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/HaakonXCI/Screenshots/Phun%20Tutorial%20Bending%20Light/bltut2.jpg

5. Now you will want to click on the circle you created and open the material window

6. With that window up you will want to set the attraction to -1.0 (Note: make sure to make it negative) and make the attraction type "Quadratic"

7. Now it's time to edit the laser wall you imported. Highlight the entire laser wall with your box tool and click on "Appearance..."

8. Move the "value" slider all the way to the left. This will also make the saturation slider move to the left as well. Now after doing that move it all the way to the right as well as the saturation slider and you will have the red again

9. Move the color slider to somewhere in the middle of green so that it's a bright and bold green

10. With the lasers still highlighted select the "Laserpens..." option in the context menu

11. With that open make the "Speed of light" value exactly at 150 m/s and "fade distance" at 10 m

12. Now click on the circle you created and make the mass exactly 1000 and the density exactly at 5093.0 (if you followed the first steps by making the circle 2x2 on the 1m grid this should be accurate)

13. Now you should be seeing this... http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/HaakonXCI/Screenshots/Phun%20Tutorial%20Bending%20Light/bltut3.jpg

Congratulations, you have bent light in Algodoo! Now go and make some elaborate scenes using this method and build from it!

-----

Also for those of you who would like to see this scene first-hand without doing the tutorial, I uploaded the completed scene while making the tutorial for you here:
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 35.02 kB
Comments: 4
Ratings: 1
download
Last edited by HaakonXCI on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am the cat's pajamas.
HaakonXCI's Algodoo Scenes!
Former Phun user :)
HaakonXCI

Re: HaakonXCI's guide on how to bend light.

Postby Nait » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 am

You are a genius, greate!
But I make attraction + so I get this
Nait

Postby HaakonXCI » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks! Yeah all sorts of neat designs can be made using this. Try changing the colors too on the lasers to the end of the spectrum in purple and that will give you the best effect for the longer fade distances. :)

Also duplicate the bars and place em around equally and you will end up making some neat designs such as this one I made earlier here: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/HaakonXCI/Screenshots/Screenshot-02937.jpg (that was just me editing my other scene if you notice the center text)
I am the cat's pajamas.
HaakonXCI's Algodoo Scenes!
Former Phun user :)
HaakonXCI

Postby Nait » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:49 am

I'l also try in this area, and your scenes are really good and beautiful :thumbup:
Nait

Return to Tutorials