Record movies with phun - WITHOUT external tool!!

Post your tutorials here.

Re: Record movies with phun - WITHOUT external tool!!

Postby crytek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:59 am

Nait wrote:Hi all. Look what I've find.It is recording video from selected area of screen.It's here.There select CamStudio: CamStudio20.exe. I think it's better than making alot of screenshots and then slideshow of them.

I have CamStudio, but I found a way better way to do lag free stuff! just use Frets and record algodoo. then speed it up with windows movie maker. be sure to save the movie or it wont be smooth.
crytek

Postby Bronie12345 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:50 am

then, you do record the changes in lag...
that's just crappy
When you make a comment at a scene, at least be brave enough to subscribe to that scene...
Don't go into a topic unprepared... Read the whole topic, including all the comments, before posting.

92% of teenagers have resorted to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace/Facebook were completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.
Bronie12345

Postby crytek » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:17 am

Bronie12345 wrote:then, you do record the changes in lag...
that's just crappy

OMG! dude! no matter what you do, you can't change that! OMG!
crytek

Postby standardtoaster » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:34 am

Unless you record it the way that this topic told you about. :o
standardtoaster

Postby crytek » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:13 am

pixartist wrote:Yes the basic movie makin function is still in there!!

just use
-> System.regularScreenshots = 1
to record a screenshot every tick! after that you can use any free movie makin tool to fuse the screenshots together to one movieclip! this way you can easily record VERY complex scenes in the background and make a smooth movie afterwards.

i did a quicksearch and found a shareware tool that can make a movie from jpg's and other image formats: http://www.brothersoft.com/jpgavi-17340.html

there are probably several more tools out there, some of them freeware

notice how he said "this way you can easily record VERY complex scenes in the background and make a smooth movie AFTERWARDS!!!!!!!!!!"! AFTER doesn't mean while your recording it... IT MEANS AFTER YOUR DONE! you are such a noob Bronie!
crytek

Postby RicH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:43 am

crytek wrote:notice how he said "this way you can easily record VERY complex scenes in the background and make a smooth movie AFTERWARDS!!!!!!!!!!"! AFTER doesn't mean while your recording it... IT MEANS AFTER YOUR DONE! you are such a noob Bronie!

You seriously aren't making any sense. At all.

You said we can't avoid the lag? Well, we can, with the use of this technique. It doesn't matter if you lag, because it records the simulation frame by frame. Bronie just pointed out the fact that recording it the normal way(ie. using Fraps, Hypercam etc.) will record everything, including the lag.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Bronie12345 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 pm

crytek wrote:
Nait wrote:Hi all. Look what I've find.It is recording video from selected area of screen.It's here.There select CamStudio: CamStudio20.exe. I think it's better than making alot of screenshots and then slideshow of them.

I have CamStudio, but I found a way better way to do lag free stuff! just use Frets and record algodoo. then speed it up with windows movie maker. be sure to save the movie or it wont be smooth.

what noob, i was talking about this
this will also record the CHANGES in lag...
like, you think you always have the same lag in algodoo, but the lag changes (like sometimes you have 10% realtime, and sometimes you have 20% realtime)...
that means, you speed it up 10 times, so the 10% realtime looks like normal 100%... but when you sometimes have the 20%, it looks like you have sped up algodoo, making it run twice as fast...

so who is the noob here?
When you make a comment at a scene, at least be brave enough to subscribe to that scene...
Don't go into a topic unprepared... Read the whole topic, including all the comments, before posting.

92% of teenagers have resorted to rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, put this in your signature.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace/Facebook were completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.
Bronie12345

Postby Laraso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Bronie12345 wrote:
crytek wrote:

like, you think you always have the same lag in algodoo, but the lag changes (like sometimes you have 10% realtime, and sometimes you have 20% realtime)...
that means, you speed it up 10 times, so the 10% realtime looks like normal 100%... but when you sometimes have the 20%, it looks like you have sped up algodoo, making it run twice as fast...

so who is the noob here?

Possibly you, he's not the one who called you a noob, so technically you didn't even quote the right person. :roll:

EDIT: Sorry, I thought standardtoaster called him a noob. :oops:
Last edited by Laraso on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phundamentalist... When possible!
Laraso

Postby RicH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Bronie's right actually. :\ Laraso, you better lay off this one, or just get on the right side.

Fraps and other screen recording software WILL record the lag. This technique won't. Simple as that.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Laraso » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I never said he wasn't right, I know he is right... I said that he quoted the wrong person.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought standardtoaster called him a noob. :oops:
Last edited by Laraso on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laraso

Postby RicH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 pm

He quoted the right person. :\
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Bronie12345 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:07 pm

can we all get back on-topic for this one?
we already pointed out the way of recording given in this topic is lag-less, and it's not about other ways of recording...

Bronie12345

Postby crytek » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 pm

Bronie12345 wrote:
crytek wrote:

so who is the noob here?

dude! you are the noob! you don't have to speed it up to be exacly twice as fast :roll:
crytek

Postby Bronie12345 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 pm

i don't think you get what i mean...
i mean, when you have 10FPS most of the time in algodoo...
you want it to look 100FPS...
you sped it up 10 times
now it looks 100FPS
now, if during the recording, a moment of 20FPS occurs in algodoo, or a moment of 5FPS, you will see that change in the vid...

Bronie12345

Postby RicH » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 am

crytek wrote:dude! you are the noob! you don't have to speed it up to be exacly twice as fast :roll:

You still aren't making any sense. :lol:
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Laraso » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:13 pm

This is riding the fine line between off topic and on topic.

Since I don't think pixartist has been on since August, I think it is safe for me to resume discussion about this now.

Has anyone actually tried this, and for how long, and how many pictures did Algodoo take?
Laraso

Postby davidz40 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 pm

I'm making animation this way. if you type regularscreenshots = X, you'll get one picture every X algodoo frames. (and it runs at 100fps, so it's good idea to use regularscreenshots=4 (25 fps) -that's sufficient for smooth animation).
Making one screen takes about 0.3 secs, but my pc isn't very powerfull.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Bronie12345 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:34 am

i tried this on a 100fps vid...
the taking of pictures wasnt the problem...
somehow, they wheren't in correct order when i putted them in the program.

Bronie12345

Postby RicH » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:45 am

Laraso wrote:Has anyone actually tried this, and for how long, and how many pictures did Algodoo take?

Have tried this for a 20 second long video. Probably had a 1500+ frames, but that was because it took a pic every frame, which, although it makes a very smooth animation, took very long. I suggest going with what david said.

And Bronie, it must have been the program your using.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Bronie12345 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:00 am

i totally agree on that, RicH

Bronie12345

Postby crytek » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:53 am

I think the best way to make real time clips is to record it with Fraps, and speed it up with windows movie maker. I only have the demo for Fraps, so I can only make 30 second vids, but all I have to do is record abounch of vids and put them together with windows movie maker. I used this stradigy to make this video. take a look and watch how it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwrBeadl4fQ

this scene would be VERY laggy! in fact, it was! and if something speeds up to fast in the middle of the movie, just don't speed that part up as much (duh).
crytek

Postby KarateBrot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:37 am

crytek wrote:I think the best way to make real time clips is to record it with Fraps, and speed it up with windows movie maker.

No, definitely not :D
The best way to record real time and lag free movies is the one described in this topic. Your video also has some mini lags because the simulation speed often changes while recording.
KarateBrot

Postby ioncann0ns » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:49 am

This topic received way more posts than it deserved.

Tutorial Method: Frame-by-Frame Method
Pros:
-Is aligned in recording frame rate to the scene's play rate, so during playback the scene is shown 100% realtime.
-Higher framerate than most other methods.
-Often higher quality.
Cons:
-Lags the simulation. (although not shown in video)
-Can be somewhat of a hassle to put together individual photos.
-Lag can cause control issues with complex interactive scenes.

Outside Method: Fraps, Hypercam, Camstudio, etc.
Pros:
-Does not lag simulation significantly.
-Not individual photos.
-Easier control of complex interactive scene due to less simulation lag.
Cons:
-Lower frame rate.
-Lower quality.
-Records simulation lag. (Can be compensated for.)

Was that so hard?
Everybody has there own preference, one isn't necessarily better.
The only side I take is that against WMM. Windows Movie Maker sucks, end of story.
ioncann0ns

Postby Bronie12345 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 am

ten my preference goes to the one in this topic...
and i agree on the fact that WMM sucks.

Bronie12345

Postby Izzac Newton » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:23 pm

StephenAlverez wrote:But how do i make them into a movie and not a slideshow?

ok now this is the only good question ive read in this entire thread *goes WMM noob friendly*

you import all of your images into movie maker and highlight all of them then you drag them to the timeline (you should probably do 10 at a time so you dont crash WMM) then it should work if i remember correctly.
Phun Phor Phree Phor Ever

(Just got Algodoo but that doens't mean im a Phanboy)

PHUN WILL RETURN...
Izzac Newton

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials