breakable fixates

Suggestions for Algodoo Phun Edition.

Re: breakable fixates

Postby izacque » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:40 am

WTF? the term "breakable fixate" is an oxymoron. Just use a hinge, set motor speed to 0, strength to +inf, and make it breakable. :clap:
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby Fujitsu » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:38 am

Just fixate both pieces to a separate bar, and then kill the bar. Voila, instant broken fixate.
Gimmie money.
Fujitsu

Postby RicH » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:38 am

No.AD8 wrote:Make it like the hinge's and a slider it's not thar hard! :problem:

How would you know that it's not that hard?

Anyway, good suggestion. But you're acting like a total douchebag.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Sniperkasa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Amen to tha Rich.. but this could get usefull.. even though why not just use 2 hinges with an break limit...
If you have a question, have a dollar and call somebody that cares.
No really just PM me if you have a problem :)
Sniperkasa

Postby RicH » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm

Sniperkasa wrote:Amen to tha Rich.. but this could get usefull.. even though why not just use 2 hinges with an break limit...

Hinges stretch etc.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Altro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 pm

No.AD8 wrote:
RicH wrote:
No.AD8 wrote:Make it like the hinge's and a slider it's not thar hard! :problem:

How would you know that it's not that hard?

Anyway, good suggestion. But you're acting like a total douchebag.

all they have to do is and a slider.

code it yourself then as an extension or whatever if its not that hard :problem:

and anyway, you could do this easily using scripting.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/546516101.png
EAT THAT LOWLOL ( now ivanlul)! ALMOST DOUBLE YOUR DL SPEED! - HAVE FASTEST INTERNET SPEED IN FORUMS! w00t!
I was on the old forums aswell
I cant be a Phundamentalist because Im crap at algodoo.
"Every cloud has silver lining. Except the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium 90."- Kevin Holmes
Altro

Postby standardtoaster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:31 pm

I have seen this suggested before on the old forums. What exactly is a "breakable" fixate? Would it be a fixate that breaks after the object it is attached to has a certain amount of pressure on it?
standardtoaster

Postby electronicboy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 pm

No.AD8 wrote:
standardtoaster wrote:Would it be a fixate that breaks after the object it is attached to has a certain amount of pressure on it?

yes

and im saying they can just add a slider.

there you are wrong.
they will have to code it so the slider actually does something...

i support this suggestion as it will result in smaller files sizes for breakable objects and it will help speed the game up having to check the force on 1 thing than on ( what is normally) 4 at a time.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby RicH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am

No.AD8 wrote:well you know what i mean.

I think you don't even know how coding new features work. It's not just adding a slider as previously mentioned.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby izacque » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 am

No.AD8 wrote:well you know what i mean.

Dude, have you ever programed in your life? you don't just "add a slider." Don't say "It's not that hard" if you have no Idea how hard it is.
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby standardtoaster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:53 am

Give me a few good reasons as to how this would be of any use.
standardtoaster

Postby RicH » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:00 am

No.AD8 wrote:With all the updates they keep talking about throw this in to. :yawn:

And ignore better suggestions? You selfish little douche.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Sonic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:37 pm

I support. I was going to suggest this but never got around to it. This would make it easier to make breakable objects for many newer players.
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Postby izacque » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 am

exancly what we need. More "breakable cities" that are just cut-up boxes flooding the algobox. :problem:
[/post]
izacque

Postby Frank » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:53 am

The problem is that inter-fixated objects aren't just connected. For most of Phun's calculations, they count as one object. Make a giant block and double-hinge a tiny bar sticking out of it, then drop it bar-side down. The little thing's hinges will be bent, and the bar will get pushed through the plane by the weight of the block. Then try fixating them together. Not only does the bar not budge in relation to the block, but it also does not get pushed inside the ground. A fixate isn't just a connection and works nothing like a hinge. The way they work now, the geometries basically become one and all share the same force calculations. Making that union breakable would probably need a lot of rebuilding.
Made some cool stuff a long time ago
Frank
[Best Tutorial Maker 2010]

Postby Sonic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Couldn't they just program it as a completley unmovable hinge? That way they wouldn't need major rebuilding.
Sonic

Postby Frank » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:47 pm

If they could program a completely unmovable hinge, wouldn't we already have them? Also, if a fixate behaved like a hinge of any kind, then the point of a fixate would be lost. It effectively turns two geometries into one. It reduces calculations and makes a perfectly inflexible union, while rebuilding fixates to behave like super-strong hinges would add more calculations and allow flexibility. If you want flexibility, use a regular hinge.

On another note, I don't see how a breakable fixate would be better than breakable hinges in terms of ease of use. Either way all you need to do is set a slider right. I suppose it could take up a little less file space by only needing one where you normally need two hinges, but if that's what you want, why not ask for some sort of lock feature for hinges? Something that would make it resist twisting in the same sort of way that it resists stretching? I'd support that.
Made some cool stuff a long time ago
Frank
[Best Tutorial Maker 2010]

Postby RA2lover » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:17 am

well, hinges have a distancelimit variable(meters), which breaks the hinge if its set under too much stretching.
so, if your hinge over-stretches, it vanishes. bad thing is that its only acessible on script menu
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby RicH » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:04 am

Didn't they decide to 'remove' it as it was 'confusing'? It seemed like a good idea to omit it, but later came users that had ideas of how to use it. I really wish they would implement it again, not just through the use of the script menu.

By implement, I mean make it easier to see, so it isn't just a hidden feature.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Sonic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 am

How about they make a seperate tool that is basically a fixate, but is programmed like a hinge and is breakable?
Sonic

Postby RicH » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:39 am

Wouldn't that still have a problem? Programmed like a hinge, therefore still stretchy? Just like a hinge with 0 rpm. :\
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Sonic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:44 pm

...Yeah I guess it would... :thumbdown:
Sonic

Return to Suggestions