Algodoo menu error, backgrounds not visible

If you have problems installing or running Algodoo Phun Edition, this is where you can get help.
This is also where you should post any bug reports relating to Algodoo Phun Edition.

Algodoo menu error, backgrounds not visible

Postby fefaber » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello,

Just installed Algodoo for my study @ fontys. I use a Toshiba Satellite notebook, win7 64bit, ati radeon 4600, two monitors. Program starts, but the menu backgrounds are not visilble. I need this program for my study.

Please help!

fefaber
fefaber

Re: Algodoo menu error, backgrounds not visible

Postby Kilinich » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Update drivers, check log.
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby fefaber » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:08 pm

I have the latest drivers installed, that's not the problem.
fefaber

Postby electronicboy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Check GPU settings, some settings can mess up with the rendering of Algodoo, I use an HD5450 and have done for ages without any issues, however I'm no longer a windows users so I can't really point you in too much of a direction.

Could you upload a copy of your log file, I've seen a few issues where algodoo is told by the GPU drivers the wrong openGL version causing the QT rendering framework to run in a crazy backwards compatability mode.

And, just for clarification, you are updating your drivers by going to the AMD website, this may seem like a stupid question, but the number of times people try to update with windows update is beyond me.

Dropping this into the console (F10 key), or placing it at the bottom of the config file in your documents can sort some rendering issues out:
Code: Select all
Resources.forceGLUBuildMipmaps = true
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby fefaber » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Electronicboy,

Did the update again via AMD site, updated to Catalyst 12.6. Program runs! The only small issue is that it runs in some sort of slow-motion-like mode. I guess the GPU hasn't got enough power, but nevertheless it's usable for me.

Thank you for the support!

Fefaber
fefaber

Postby electronicboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 pm

fefaber,

Glad you've got that issue out of the way.

If you pop open the file menu and tap sim info, algodoo should open up a small text box, it will state a few piece of infomation, you should see the FPS.

As you may know, you're looking for about a minimum of 25-30 for what I would refer to as a usable fps (I'm really fussy, if a game is lagging I won't play it for too long), you will also see the sim frequency and realtime, if the realtime is not at around 100%, it usually means the bottleneck is your CPU. sim frequency should be either 60 or 100, 60 is usually enough for most scenes created, however the old value at 100 is a little bit more accurate at the cost of CPU time, although not much. (you can access this vai the options panel).

Also, right click the play/pause button and check the simulation speed, in most cases, you'll want this at 1 unless you're doing fancy physics, however if the simulation realtime is a fair bit below 100%, you may find that dropping the simulation speed does create the overall effect of algodoo running faster!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Return to Help / Bug reports