Rotating the coordinate reference frame

Do you have a tip or other ideas to share? Or do you need new features or tools in Algodoo for educational use? Then share and discuss them here.

Rotating the coordinate reference frame

Postby astronomyteacher » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 am

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/BlockOnAFrictionlessInclinedPlane/
edit: an example of what I mean from Wolfram Alpha.

i teach high school and college physics. I am preparing a lesson for tomorrow that has a box sitting on a ramp. The students are to take the weight vector and break it into components. However, in your program, the components are rigidly tied to x and y coordinates as aligned with the edge of the screen.

Is there a way to rotate the coordinate system to align with the top of the ramp? Then deriving the downhill force and the normal force components becomes much easier. This is a much more standard way of drawing the components (x - aligned with ramp surface, y - perpendicular to ramp surface), at least in the US.

If there's no way to do it at present, I'd like to request that as a future feature.

Thanks, I'm just getting started and it looks like a fun program.
astronomyteacher

Re: Rotating the coordinate reference frame

Postby emilk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello and thanks for the feedback!

The easiest way to accomplish the same thing in Algodoo is to go the other way about it and rotate the direction of gravity instead!

Start by making a horizontal plane and put a box on that. Then, by hoovering over the gravity button (falling apple) you can set an angle offset for the gravity.

I will consider adding a a slider for rotating the reference system in the next version.

- Emil
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Postby astronomyteacher » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Just wondering if this idea ever went anywhere.
astronomyteacher

Postby chris1983 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:17 pm

I agree, this will be very useful.
give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
chris1983

Return to Features and tools for education