Algodoo for iPad - beta

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

Algodoo for iPad - beta

Postby emilk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Edit: Beta is full!

It is here! Well almost. It is still in beta, it needs some polishing and still crashes at random times, but perhaps with your help I can fix these things! The goal was a straight-forward port of Algodoo to iPad keeping all* features intact - and that's exactly what we've done!

We have a beta running via TestFlight
If you have an iPad, here is how you join the beta:

1) Get your iPad
2) Visit http://tflig.ht/P7hXXI on your iPad
3) Register for a TestFlight account
4) Join the Algodoo TestFlight beta
5) Register your iPad
6) Wait for us to accept your request and manually add your device (this step could take a few days)
7) ????
8) PLAY

You can open any scene on Algobox on iPad, but due to the limited processing power many scenes may run a bit slow. If your scene is running slow, open it on desktop Algodoo and enter the following in the console:

Code: Select all
    Sim.polygonMeshSize = [64,64];
    Sim.solveIter = 15;
    Sim.directSolveIters = 2;
    Sim.pureIterativeFinish = false;
    SPH.solveIters = 5;
    Sim-frequency = 60;

Hopefully the scene will still work, but run a lot smoother now. Save it, and then try it on iPad.

To test your scene on iPad, either upload it to Algobox, or put it on Dropbox (or Google Drive etc) and open in right on your iPad. Or just mail the .phz scene file and open it on the iPad.

* If you find any big, reproducible bugs report it in this thread.
* If you have a scene that works really nice on the iPad and would like to have it official, post it to this thread.

Enjoy!

* The scripting menu and console was intentionally removed on iPad. Do your scripting on the desktop, and then import the scenes to the iPad.
Emil Ernerfeldt, lead developer
emilk

Re: Algodoo for iPad - beta

Postby RicH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Ah. That day has finally come. I actually never thought this would happen. I thought it would be impossible and awful. But no, I seem to be wrong. I wish I had an iPad to test this out on.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Under Ground » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Any chance of some footage of this in action? I don't own a iPad either, and would love to see how this works.
Under Ground

Postby Ivanlul » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Will you also be making an android version?
Ivanlul

Postby emilk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 am

Ivanlul wrote:Will you also be making an android version?

Not right now
emilk

Postby electronicboy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Let's not get too far of ourselves.
Android devices don't have enough CPU or RAM capability to run algodoo at even a bearable simulation speed.

No but really, Let's at least get the iPad to a stable first!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby emilk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am

electronicboy wrote:Android devices don't have enough CPU or RAM capability to run algodoo at even a bearable simulation speed.!

No fanboy war bating in my thread thanks. There are good reasons to develop for iOS first and Android second, but this is not one of them.
emilk

Postby electronicboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm

emilk wrote:
electronicboy wrote:Android devices don't have enough CPU or RAM capability to run algodoo at even a bearable simulation speed.!

No fanboy war bating in my thread thanks. There are good reasons to develop for iOS first and Android second, but this is not one of them.

Sorry emil, it was more of a old forum joke, for back in the day when mobile devices really never did have the power to run stuff like this!

But, as I said, lets get the algodoo for iPad finished and working before we play with android!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby GoatyMichael » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 am

So does this work for iPod Touch, or just iPad? I'd like to try it, but the only iDevice I have is an iPod Touch.
GoatyMichael

Postby emilk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm

GoatyMichael wrote:So does this work for iPod Touch, or just iPad? I'd like to try it, but the only iDevice I have is an iPod Touch.

Just iPad for now - iPhones and iPods have much too small screens to do something useful on.
emilk

Return to Official announcements