Algodoo Beta 1.9.5 Released!

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

Re: Algodoo Beta 1.9.4 Released!

Postby Nait » Tue May 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Good upgrade. Except that interface, it looks like Algodoo it turning from serious program for game&work into childish toy for schoolchildren... Those awful menus with enormous buttons that closes a lot of space, settings are used not so often to make menu for them. Maybe, I'm too critical and conservative... Also, game crashes when i try to use hinges or chains...
Nait

Postby scottcox » Wed May 11, 2011 12:12 am

<<All the icons and clouds (all gui) has become rectangles for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have this problem too.
scottcox

Postby Sparky » Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 am

all of the menus and clouds are white rectangles and it says to buy algodoo
i have unistalled it
Sparky

Postby Dare » Wed May 11, 2011 7:46 am

[quote="Nait"]Good upgrade. Except that interface, it looks like Algodoo it turning from serious program for game&work into childish toy for schoolchildren... Those awful menus with enormous buttons that closes a lot of space, settings are used not so often to make menu for them.[/quote]
This.

Those huge buttons are so childish and ugly, and absolutely a waste of space. I say go back to 1.8.5 interface, trying to use the 1.9.4 one is impossible.
Dare

Postby tatt61880 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Did you noticed "chains" folder?
You can add new chains. ;)
NOTE: I'm not an Algoryx member.
Hi, Algodoo lovers. Have you read next topic? Featured scenes suggestions
To translators: English.cfg changelog will be useful (even for me).
tatt61880
[Most Helpful Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Wed May 11, 2011 6:49 pm

But the Use As Chain thing does not work. I do not want to do anything funny like that, I just want to push the button and make a chain any shape I like.

And I agree with Dare and Nait in that the GUI is terrible, even after using my 1.8.5 TracerFix skin.
And simply changing the gui.scale won't work- the smaller the number, the farther you can zoom out, but the less you can zoom in.

I suggest making all the pictorial buttons (Scenelets, tools, palette, whatever) the same size, removing the tool context menu thing, reverting to the 1.8.5 default skin, and calling hinges hinges, not axles. And something in the Options menu that allows you to turn each menu on or off, individually. That is, move the menu from the screen to the Options menu.

If you devise a way to hinge multiple things together in the same place at the same time, call that an axle.
Someone Else

Postby TC42 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Did you take a peek at the texture files and see a battery? 'Cause I did.
TC42

Postby Mr. crash » Thu May 12, 2011 5:29 pm

When looking at the script menu, there's big amount of 0 after , . And, the last number may turn to 1. Or, 6,1 for example may be 6,999999
[img]http://imageshack.us/m/218/9376/07999999.png[/img]
Mr. crash

Postby magicwiser » Thu May 12, 2011 10:43 pm

[quote="phunHunger"]All the icons and clouds (all gui) has become rectangles for me. Anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

Im having this problem as well. Everything is grey squares with no text or detail. The clouds are just white squares floating through space, they are not soft and fluffy anymore.
magicwiser

Postby Mr. crash » Fri May 13, 2011 1:00 pm

[quote="Mr. crash"]When looking at the script menu, there's big amount of 0 after , . And, the last number may turn to 1. Or, 6,1 for example may be 6,999999
[img]http://imageshack.us/m/218/9376/07999999.png[/img][/quote]

Aww.... So much typos. Cleared:
There's much zeros after comma. And, the last number may turn 1. like 1.0000000001 (This is more rare than next thing). Or, 6,1 for example may be 6,0999999.
And the image: http://imageshack.us/m/218/9376/07999999.png
Mr. crash

Postby jonatan » Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi!

I am glad that you all are engaged in Algodoo. All your thoughts and opinions about Algodoo is important for us. So keep writing!

Some of you are complaining about the new GUI. First of all we want to say that the GUI in this Beta is not at all ready yet and is still under deep development. So don´t worry to much. Focus should be on all new features and tools.

We are not surprised that some of you react and dislike the way it looks. It is very common and we also feel a little bit confused and disappointed when our favorites programs changes their look. Some of the changes that has been made in Algodoo is due to the fact that the old GUI also have been undergoing a lot of criticism from our users and customers. Being ugly, hard to use and hard to find settings.

So this is what we think. We appreciate all feedback, but saying the new BEta is ugly or useless won´t help us improve it. Instead try to give us some feedback in what way it is ugly or in what way it is useless. And we would very much appreciate feedback that actually tell us what you would like it to be rather than what you dislike. Then we can try to improve it for the better for all our users.

Organizing the GUI in new sidebars is a way to make Algodoo easier to use for our beginners and medium users. We also wanted to keep the overall "program settings" in the top menu and move "in action" program settings to sidebars. Making it easier to access. That is because we have a lot of new users like students and teachers that will use Algodoo in their classes and there for we decided to try to help them, making it easier to find scenes, settings, visualization options, etc. In the older versions we got critisized because a lot of our users didn´t even find thoose features.

Advanced user like the most of you are may not like the some parts of the new GUI. But we don´t want you to feel frustrated or dissappointed. So please give us helpful feedback that help us make Algodoo better for you.

Here are some fixes that we will make:

- We will make a more slimmed down skin and especially the sidebars will be sized down.
- The ability to show/hide different windows will be intergrated so you actually can choose what windows you would like to view (like the ability to hide/show the toolbar and the sim control in 1.8.5).
- We are still working on the new icons and some of the new ones that you find in this Beta isn´t at all the final ones we will use.
- We will try to make the tool options smaller and find a smarter way to show/hide them.
- We will also make the sim, air, gravity options menus more of a right-click or arrow-click option. Not showing it all the time like now.

And remember, you can still move around the menus as you feel. :)

/Jonatan Persson
Designer & Product Developer
jonatan

Postby TC42 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 am

And still no official statement from Algoryx about the square gui/textures bug...
TC42

Postby Someone Else » Sat May 14, 2011 3:25 am

For the Scene and Appearance menus (those that, as of now, you cannot remove from the screen), you cannot move them away from the edge of the screen and they will not snap to a corner of the screen or to another menu. Very annoying.

I think that you should also include the attachment in this URL into the Algodoo installer:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3857#p43609

That, the Classic skin from 1.8.5, and the Default skin from 1.8.5, renamed.

So you can have a Phun skin, a 1.8.5 skin, and a 1.8.0 skin for those people like me who don't like the tracers in 1.8.5.
Someone Else

Postby hiltropper » Sat May 14, 2011 12:25 pm

whats about onEvent sounds ? will it be in the next version?
bugs
-every geom is a box
-cant read menues
but what ive read and seen so far makes me say this will be a cool new version :D
hiltropper

Postby Nxdt » Sat May 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Ok, heres how i think you can alter the Gui, Allow toolbars to be removed, scaled and positioned. Don't have so many toolbars, the more buttons to press the more confusing. Mabye allow individual tools to be moved around toolbars, i would like everything in one big toolbar up top, with the sim, gravity air grid options embedded within.

- We will make a more slimmed down skin and especially the sidebars will be sized down.

Good idea, like this.

- The ability to show/hide different windows will be intergrated so you actually can choose what windows you would like to view (like the ability to hide/show the toolbar and the sim control in 1.8.5).

Yes keep this in, but if you've read above you'll realise that it is irrelavant.

- We are still working on the new icons and some of the new ones that you find in this Beta isn´t at all the final ones we will use.

Ok, i think there alright as they are, mabye thrusters could be a little improved.

- We will try to make the tool options smaller and find a smarter way to show/hide them.

As before, if all this is made customisable this isn't needed.

- We will also make the sim, air, gravity options menus more of a right-click or arrow-click option. Not showing it all the time like now.

Ditto.

Anyway I think everyone really appreciates that our feedback is being listened to and considered.
Nxdt

Postby Emanuel » Sat May 14, 2011 4:50 pm

TC42 wrote:And still no official statement from Algoryx about the square gui/textures bug...

Joel has found the cause of the bug, but haven't found a way to fix it yet.
It seems to be related to graphics cards that don't have support for shaders.

/ Emanuel
Algodoo Developer
Emanuel

Postby TC42 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Ah, thank you! Yes, my graphics card doesn't support shaders. I'll try it on my other PC that has shaders (but not internet)...

Nxdt-at the moment, I think you can use gui.scale to change the size of the toolbar, can't you?
TC42

Postby electronicboy » Sat May 14, 2011 6:33 pm

[quote="Emanuel"][quote="TC42"]And still no official statement from Algoryx about the square gui/textures bug...[/quote]
Joel has found the cause of the bug, but haven't found a way to fix it yet.
It seems to be related to graphics cards that don't have support for shaders.

/ Emanuel[/quote]

Shaders... That was my second expectation to the cause of the problem...
(mainly from the new messages about shaders in 1.9.4 which didnt show in 1.8.5)

And because it was the reason i had to update my card for portal2...
Well, i hope it is fixed!

Do you know which shader version is required for algodoo to show textures fine?
would help those looking to upgrade GFX card on the cheap...
electronicboy

Postby phunHunger » Sat May 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Well I have Shader Model 4.1 according to the wiki. Is that the "shaders" we're talking about here?
phunHunger

Postby KaLul » Sat May 14, 2011 10:34 pm

DAMN YEAH!!! Algodoo now comes back to life for me. I always trusted in you emilk! :D I like it as i always do! Nothing to say as just the same: very well done so far! great!
KaLul

Postby KaLul » Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 pm

is it possible that algodoo no longer accepts tga textures ???? Oo how can i change my textures?
KaLul

Postby KaLul » Sat May 14, 2011 11:21 pm

and "use as chain" doesnt work too.
KaLul

Postby Nxdt » Sun May 15, 2011 1:37 pm

TC42 wrote:

Nxdt-at the moment, I think you can use gui.scale to change the size of the toolbar, can't you? //

Yes it helps but its not great, you need to up the font size on the menus as well.
Nxdt

Postby Thooto » Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm waiting for the non-beta version with impatience! :)
Thooto

Postby Thooto » Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 am

There's no edit, sorry.

So I've noticed that in the 1.8.5 version the keyboard was "qwerty", there in this beta it goes in "azerty" (I'm french). But it's a little problem : when somebody with "qwerty" keyboard spawns for example a box with a controller like aswd, in the 1.8.5 version you were clicking qsdz keys and the box was moving, but there I have to find out the aswd keys that aren't at the same place! Could we change those settings?

Thanks, and sorry if I dont express myself well... :)
Thooto

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements