Official Algodoo Contest Poll

Official announcements from Algoryx and the Algodoo team. Updates, official contests, news, etc.

What official contest would you like to participate in?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 am

Algodoo a movie scene
11%
Algodoo a musician/band
8%
Algodoo a famous person (or several)
2%
Algodoo a machine/construction (discuss what!)
36%
Algodoo for the environment
4%
Algodoo a myth (bust it!)
22%
Algodoo for education
11%
Algodoo for peace, love and understanding :angel:
5%

Total votes : 114

Official Algodoo Contest Poll

Postby admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 am

Hi All,

We plan to run a couple of really cool official contests with real prizes, and we turn to the community to hear what it is that you want to do!

So, please respond to the poll that comes with this post. Also, feel free to discuss contests in the forums. Have we missed some really good topic? What rules should apply? How much time is needed? How should results be presented by the participants (YouTube, Algobox, etc)? What should the winner(s) get in addition to honor and glory?

We really appreciate your feedback and participation!

/The Algodoo Team
admin
Site Admin

Re: Official Algodoo Contest Poll

Postby Jrv » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 pm

My suggestion would be that it follows at least these: [url]http://www.algodoo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=336[/url] basic guidelines, as these are what the Phun/Algodoo community is used to.
Jrv
[Best Musician 2010] [Funniest Person 2010] [Most Infamous Member 2010]

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:59 am

I'm digging the machine/construction.
I would suggest construction site machines that need to perform goals I.E a crane that needs to lift and place girders, a backo that needs to pick up and move "dirt"

Although i know it isn't on there but in the past the most successful contests were races.
Mystery

Postby Paradigm 29 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:27 pm

An official contest sounds great, but making a contest in Phun/Algodoo has always been a challenge in itself.
It will be interesting to see what Algoryx is able to come up with (specially coded contest scene?). Maybe you could make a contest that is so original that it sets the standard for other contests?

My favorite contest for Phun was Comrade Tiki's Heavy Transport Obstacle Course.
http://www.phunland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3643

Comrade Tiki:
1. Had a default scene that all contest users had to build their creation in.
2. Had a set of well defined rules and guidelines.
3. Used a theme which he based the contest around - contestants competing for a government defense contract.
4. Judged every contest entry with lengthy, detailed, and entertaining critiques(harder for an official contest).
5. Used an obstacle course with multiple challenges. This was very important in my opinion.

And his creative critiques were able to stop contestants from winning by simply using loopholes.

Some of the topic choices don't make much sense to me, but I'm sure people will vote for what they like.

Prizes could be:
Algodoo
Special forum title/privileges
An Algodoo T-shirt
Special Phunbox title/privileges

Special prizes could be:
A lock of emilk's hair
The Algodoo box <--:o
Paradigm 29

Postby Conundrumer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:44 am

I think a contest for making an educational scene would be really really great. All the educational scenes I've seen so far are only for elementary/middle school kids, and here we are looking down from high school/college. Paradigm29 considered ways of teaching Calculus using Algodoo, but we ran out of ideas a bit soon, even thouhg we had plot tools to our disposal.

Also, for that machine contest: Self-replicating robot. Definitely not an ideal first contest due to the extreme difficulty, but consider it later on.

Also, some more contest idea:
If the contest is based on a complex machine of some sort, the winner can get his scene printed onto a poster (or maybe even a t-shirt) to use as merchandise. The thought of seeing Paradigm29's Paragon Cannon on an official Algodoo poster is pretty awesome.
Conundrumer

Postby Chronos » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am

[quote="Mystery"]I'm digging the machine/construction.
I would suggest construction site machines that need to perform goals I.E a crane that needs to lift and place girders, a backo that needs to pick up and move "dirt"

Although i know it isn't on there but in the past the most successful contests were races.[/quote]
i would actually have to say the band/musician would be my vote. im actually working on some [band name not said] ragdolls

also, EVERYONE should vote for peace, love, and understanding, because what could be better than that?
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Torpedo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:46 pm

A construction site sounds like a cool idea. Maybe a scene with a blueprint in the background and no raw materials specified, then put it together yourself in the best way possible. Perhaps then even test the finished structure afterwards to see how well built it is.

So i guess you could have clear the zone, lay foundations put up the bricks and theres your house maybe lol.

Then again these other ideas sound interesting too but i'm not really sure what the criteria for them would be, so i'm not sure i want to vote too hastily incase we miss out on something original and cool?

prize wise all i can think of is a second license key to use on another computer, give to a friend or use on a portable device like a pen drive, as i'd love another key that i can use on the university computers. (as they refresh after every use and automaticly uninstall anything on them, so it'd always be a fresh install)
Torpedo

Postby RicH » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 am

For 'Algodoo a famous person (or several)', I would suggest someone who has played a major part in understanding physics.
For 'Algodoo a machine/construction (discuss what!)', I would like a structure of sorts, testing out it's capability in supporting things. A building, most likely. Or maybe an automatic mechanical machine. As long as it relies heavily on physical components, not thyme.
For 'Algodoo for the environment', maybe a 'green' invention? :P
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Conundrumer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 pm

May I add that an educational contest would be beneficial in a variety of ways:
1. You get higher quality education scenes (no offense)
2. The users will learn by participating in the contest
3. You can use the contest entries to propagate education through Algodoo
4. Prize will be the usage of the educational scene in an official education package sort of thing.
Obviously, not too many people are voting for educational contest because it seems as if it would be boring.
Here is Paradigm29's original thread based on educating with Phun
http://www.phunland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2923
Conundrumer

Postby copsinsip » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:34 pm

[quote="admin"]Hi All,

We plan to run a couple of really cool official contests with real prizes, and we turn to the community to hear what it is that you want to do!

So, please respond to the poll that comes with this post. Also, feel free to discuss contests in the forums. Have we missed some really good topic? What rules should apply? How much time is needed? How should results be presented by the participants (YouTube, Algobox, etc)? What should the winner(s) get in addition to honor and glory?

We really appreciate your feedback and participation!

/The Algodoo Team[/quote]

I want to do the Movie Contest. But my Video is longer than 10 Minutes and too big. Can I upload it to a server?
copsinsip

Postby Tank2333 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

offical contests sounds great
i would suggest that there could be several types of contests wich are circulating each month
so that we have regular contests evry month

and maybe if that is working good some special contest wich are realy hard like con´s self produscing robot contest

i also would like to see some creative contests ^^ like the "save emil" contest on phunland

the idea with poster is just epic
u could maybe sell the posters with the winners creation on it XD
Tank2333

Postby admin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks alot for your feedback in this poll! We're looking forward to running some contests in the near future!
admin
Site Admin

Return to Official announcements