Making geometries more tenacious.

For topics that don't fit under the other topics or forums.

Making geometries more tenacious.

Postby Xray » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm fairly new to Algodoo, and in the couple of weeks that I've been learning about it and playing with it, one thing that I've noticed is that the geometries do not seem to stick to each other very well. I can download virtually any scene from Algobox, start the simulation, then grab any supporting geometry with my cursor and give it a little shake. The entire scene will self-destruct and/or will fall apart. If mechanical assemblies in the real world were made that way, I wouldn't want to drive a car or fly in an airplane! :o

So, is there some suggested method of improving the tenacity of geometries that are supposed to be stuck together? In other words, will increasing their mass, friction, or other attribute improve how well they stick to each other?

Thanks!

Edit -- Oh, one more question... I noticed that fast-moving objects will sometime fly right through solid objects. This even occurs when I want one particular geometry to be blocked by another geometry. For example, if I want to limit the movement of an actuator by placing a "stop" on it which bumps up against a wall when the actuator reaches its extended position. I found that if I make the actuator move too quickly, the "stop" will fly right through the wall without stopping. What's the best way to prevent that from happening without having to reduce the speed of the actuator?

Thanks again!
Xray

Re: Making geometries more tenacious.

Postby Chronos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:05 am

It sounds like you're working in too small of a scale. Small things in Algodoo don't work very well, so I'd recommend scaling everything up a few times.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Xray » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Chronos wrote:It sounds like you're working in too small of a scale. Small things in Algodoo don't work very well, so I'd recommend scaling everything up a few times.

I would agree with that as being a possible improvement if the problem was only happening to scenes that I had created, but I've seen it happen on MANAY other scenes that I downloaded from Algobox. But maybe your suggestion is still valid if many other Algodoo users have been making the same mistake that I have been making. I'll try creating a few scenes on a larger scale to see if the robustness of the "glue" is actually much greater at the larger scales.

And what about my other question concerning fast moving objects not being stopped by other solid geometries? Is it the same problem with scale? I read in other threads that Algodoo, in general, isn't very stable at the smaller scale ranges. So, maybe by scaling up my geiometries, that other problem will no longer be an issue.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Xray

Postby Nxdt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Try sim.frequency = 200, this doubles the frequency of the physics simulation and should make it smoother and more accurate. Try even higher values until the lag starts. The default is 100, and you need to reset it when done or other scenes will be effected.
Nxdt

Postby Chronos » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Nxdt wrote:Try sim.frequency = 200, this doubles the frequency of the physics simulation and should make it smoother and more accurate. Try even higher values until the lag starts. The default is 100, and you need to reset it when done or other scenes will be effected.

I wouldn't recommend this if you plan on sharing your scene. I don't know if it still isn't saved with the scene, but if not, chances are it won't work correctly if someone else downloads it. They'll have to change the value too, which if they don't know to change it back, could cause loads of problems. Plus, some computers still have trouble with the frequency being raised.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Return to Algodoo in general