Phundamentalism?

For topics that don't fit under the other topics or forums.

Phundamentalism?

Postby Conundrumer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:15 am

Alright, I see that Phundamentalism has caught on with the Phun community. Many people seem to claim they are Phundamentalist, but of course not all of them are. So I feel I should make things clear.

A Phundamentalist
1. Does not plagiarize
2. Respects mechanics
3. Avoids excessive thyme usage
4. Should be able to decide where mechanics and scripting is appropriate
5. Proves before substituting

Explanation:
1. Plagiarism is universally frowned upon, but one will not be considered a Phundamentalist when one intentionally commits plagiarism. Give proper credit when possible.
2. Phundamentalism exemplifies the beauty of mechanics, almost as if it were an art form. Phundamentalism also emphasizes Phun engineering, where one needs to consider mechanisms, efficiency, and lag, thus stimulating critical thinking.
3. Thyme usage is a ratio between the complexity (causing lag)/feasibility (impossibility in Phun) of the contraption and the amount of scripting. It's up to the Phundamentalist to decide what ratio is excessive.
4. A machine that is totally mechanical is an ideal Phundamentalist's machine, but the limitations of Phun prevent those types of machines from becoming too complicated. Thyme can help reduce lag and accomplish tasks very difficult to do mechanically. But one will have to consider the below.
5. What this is referring to is the method of substituting mechanical components with scripted components to reduce lag and increase efficiency. Substitution is recommended to make the scene less laggy and more enjoyable. But before substituting, the component must be proven to be able to function without any additional scripting. Proof is through demonstration. In this way, one can say the scene could be, in theory, fully mechanical after scripted components are replaced with mechanical counterparts.

Other stuff:
I don't really know why people make their Phundamentalist title rainbowy.
To determine if someone is genuinely Phundamentalist, observe that person's scenes and altitude towards scenes.
Phundamentalism is not an anti-thyme movement.
Phundamentalism is not an anti-Algodoo movement.
You're not a Phundamentalist if you don't follow all five principles.
Last edited by Conundrumer on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conundrumer

Re: Phundamentalism?

Postby Jrv » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:37 am

You just had to put "Conceiver of" in front of it didn't you...Always with the subliminal superiority complex with you...

Well, I think we just need to change up the title a bit to fit with the "Anti-thyme movement" thing.

How's Radical Phundamentalist sound? Hell, if that catches on, I guess I can put "Conceiver of" in front of mine too... :D
Bang
Jrv
[Best Musician 2010] [Funniest Person 2010] [Most Infamous Member 2010]

Postby Conundrumer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:01 am

JrvUnleashed wrote:You just had to put "Conceiver of" in front of it didn't you...Always with the subliminal superiority complex with you...

Well, I think we just need to change up the title a bit to fit with the "Anti-thyme movement" thing.

How's Radical Phundamentalist sound? Hell, if that catches on, I guess I can put "Conceiver of" in front of mine too... :D

The "Conceiver" thing is there because I have a feeling that the definition of Phundamentalism would change over time if I don't solidify it and call it a movement that I have created. There's also how it makes my title different from everyone else's. I guess you can stick in that superiority thing in there, but if that were one of my main intents, I would go out of my way to make a list of certified Phundamentalists or something.
Conundrumer

Postby RicH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 am

I guess I fit the 5 'requirements'. :P
Also, I didn't make my 'Phundamentalist' text be a rainbow, it supposed to be the colors of Phun. Bet then again, some people might think it's a rainbow because it has colors -.-
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby niffirg1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 am

I think 3 kinda rules me out! But i do respect mechanics. I was thinking of being a mechanic.
niffirg1

Postby Rhett97 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:49 pm

I kinda half-way qualify but.. im good with my Thymer tag...
Chronos wrote:There's nothing wrong with swearing. They're just words. People just think they have a bad meaning. What's the difference between shit and poo? Nothing. They're the same.
Rhett97

Postby Tank2333 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 pm

after reading this i think i am aware of this title XD
i prefer to use my own devices/creations and try to come up with an solution by my own
i sometimes looking for inspiration but wouldnt rebuild it the same way

as paradigm released his phuncanon ... i just could watch it...with an open mouth
as con released 7 seg display i was just amazed that it was possible to make it that way
and many other things too

3./4.
i sometimes dont even think of how it could be done with thyme (thats because im bad programmer too)
i always try to think in a simplistic way that is i think what makes mechanic awsome to look at

when im going to create soemthing with thyme i already have or building it the mechanicle way at the same time
to see the differents and to make stresstests with both solutions

i like the idea of the certification list...somehow ^^
but it shouldnt evolve to somthing like "hello im bunny and will take over forum"
I AM Phundamentalist

Rating: rated 7.3
Filesize: 130.15 kB
Comments: 7
Ratings: 8
download
Newest Scene
Tank2333

Postby Conundrumer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Tank2333 wrote:after reading this i think i am aware of this title XD
i prefer to use my own devices/creations and try to come up with an solution by my own
i sometimes looking for inspiration but wouldnt rebuild it the same way

as paradigm released his phuncanon ... i just could watch it...with an open mouth
as con released 7 seg display i was just amazed that it was possible to make it that way
and many other things too

3./4.
i sometimes dont even think of how it could be done with thyme (thats because im bad programmer too)
i always try to think in a simplistic way that is i think what makes mechanic awsome to look at

when im going to create soemthing with thyme i already have or building it the mechanicle way at the same time
to see the differents and to make stresstests with both solutions

i like the idea of the certification list...somehow ^^
but it shouldnt evolve to somthing like "hello im bunny and will take over forum"

You don't have to actively prove that you follow these principles, though it's still nice to see different techniques and personal beliefs.

And yes, I anticipated the bob effect (eg put bob in your sig so he may take over the world), and that's another reason for creating this thread.
Conundrumer

Return to Algodoo in general