How to balance wheels?

For topics that don't fit under the other topics or forums.

How to balance wheels?

Postby BlackCore » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 pm

I was working on my car, and stuck with a problem.
I have very cool looking and accurate rims for it,but it's a bit unbalanced...
I mean, i made them on top of a blueprint...
So,the real car has 293 NM torque and it goes to 250 km/h(which is ~70 m/s).
And my prototype is going to 25m/s(1000 rpm on wheels) and then wheels are starting to bounce weirdly, even with restitution set to 0)
Also,i've got no suspension on it(i thought about it, but is there an easier way to solve this problem?), the wheels are connected straight to the car body.
I've tried to balance it just by holding it by a hinge and placing small weights on top of it(just like the real wheel balancing is done),but it isn't precise enough.
Is there a way to place a hinge precisely into the center of mass of a group of polygons?
Sadly, i can't script on thyme(yet), so i can't make a script for that(but i'm sure that this is possible,because the drag tool have this function)

Oh, and by the way, the car's weight is 833 kg(half of the real,because it's two-wheeled) and it's real-sized.Maybe this is the problem?
Because ~500 RPM is enough for some cars to speed up to 65 m/s, but they aren't real-sized and real-weighted...

P.S.
I'm new to forums(but not in phun, i was here since 4.x.x,but read-only), so this thread may be posted in a wrong part of forum.
Also, english is not my native language, so don't punish me for some grammar errors.
BlackCore

Re: How to balance wheels?

Postby TC42 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

First of all,
>What version are you using?
If it's algodoo 1.97+, try messing with the legacy mode of the hinge.
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby BlackCore » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Using Algodoo 2.0.0
Messing with legacy-mode helped a bit.Now it can go up to 157rad/s(~1500 RPM).Then it just stops speeding up with any forces.(due to software limitations,i guess)
Also, after some testing, even the box that is 1,25m X 4.25m with two wheels, i couldn't speed up more than 55 m/s@1100RPM.
I've heard somewhere near kilinich that algodoo can't handle large angular velocities like 110rad/s.
How to speed it up more and keep it real-sized then?D:
But the question of balancing wheels is still on.
BlackCore

Postby Nxdt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Make sure you place a hidden or fully transparent circle of the same size over the wheels and make your rims and everything else low density and no-collision. Algodoo can get buggy if polygons are used at high speed.
Nxdt

Postby Renato7000 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:08 am

so, anybody find a solution? up to 1100rpm my wheel is bouncing...
and another thing, in the real life, a car have 630nm torque and 950kg. why in algodoo, a car with 950kg and 630nm torque, don't have the same acceleration? to make the same 0-60mph, it needs more than 2500nm. someone know how to "repair" this?
Renato7000

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:04 am

simple. all physics in Algodoo updates 100 times a second, if you have a wheel rotating at 1500 RPM, the wheel is rotating 90 degrees every update.
Spoiler: show
you can increase the sim.frequency to achieve a higher speed, but this is an UNSUPPORTED FEATURE, meaning if you change sim.frequency and monkeys fly out of your ass WE (I) ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE.

another reason is Algodoo is non-deterministic, and hinges are not intrinsically hard
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.
jon_joy_1999

Postby Renato7000 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 am

so it is impossible to repair it?
Renato7000

Postby jon_joy_1999 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 am

pretty much
BSrac = BoincStats recent average credit
I'd rather be network computing.