Pricing for the future?

For topics that don't fit under the other topics or forums.

Pricing for the future?

Postby arinlares » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 am

I've been thinking about this, even though I paid 7.10USD for Algodoo, which is excellent, by the way. The price is 30 euros, which comes out to about 42USD. So, at least as far as paying for the software, people outside of the European Union are at a bit of a price disadvantage, in the case of the US, being a twelve unit difference, depending on the current exchange rate, and more or less of a difference depending on the country.

I'm assuming this has something to do with better economic standing among different nations. So, is there any plan for an international marketplace, so that in Europe, you pay 30 euros, and in, say the US and Canada, you pay 30 USD, or is it all by the euro, and to stay that way? I've seen online shops do this before, with a EU and a US market, to compensate for this difference.
arinlares

Re: Pricing for the future?

Postby Fujitsu » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am

It doesn't work that way. Algodoo cost more in different currencies simply because not all currencies are equivelant.

I.e. If a bag of mushrooms costs 6 Euros, it will cost 10 Canadian Dollars because Canadian Dollars are worth 40% less than Euros. Likewise, Algodoo costs 47 Canadian dollars instead of 30 Euros because Canadian dollars are worth less than Euros.
Gimmie money.
Fujitsu

Postby arinlares » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 am

I know about currency exchanges, but a price is merely a value appended to the product in question. So, if Algoryx so chose, as this is an educational product, they could scale the price for each country in question. So, in the US and Canada, they could charge 30USD (which is what, 33.16 in Canada), and saves the user/institiution in question from shelling out around 45 dollars for the same product. The same idea could be applied to Japan, for instance, even though the US price is quite a bit lower than the EU price when converting from yen. So, it's a somewhat more fair pricing scale, I think, rather than 30 units in one country, and 45 monetary units in another. Coupled with the developing nation and bulk buy discounts, it would make Algodoo a easily accessible, affordable toy/educational tool.
arinlares

Postby Fujitsu » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 am

If they were to have a fixed rate of 30 in all currencies, what of the Japanese Phun/Algodoo community? 30 Yen Can barely buy you a 25 cent piece of gum! Why don't we get such a discount?

What of the poor people of Kuwait? 30 Kuwait Dinars is almost 100 dollars American!
Gimmie money.
Fujitsu

Return to Algodoo in general