Gears not working

For topics that don't fit under the other topics or forums.

Gears not working

Postby citfta » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:54 am

I am really new to this forum and Algodoo. I am trying to learn how to make a gear set that will transfer movement from the first gear to the last. I have a total of four gears. I have been watching videos and reading tutorials for several days now and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. If I turn one gear very slowly the other gears will follow and stay in time. But If I move any gear quickly at all you can see the gear teeth jumping right over each other. I am still learning about layers and thought that might be my problem but I just found out how to check and see what collision layers each gear is on and they are all on layer A. So I must be missing something but I don't know what that is. Any help would be appreciated. I am using the the latest free version that I just downloaded last week. I hope I have put this question in the right area of the forum.

Thanks in advance,
Carroll
citfta

Re: Gears not working

Postby electronicboy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Algodoo and collision mapping for geometries suck. Algodoo and collision mapping for for fast moving geometries suck even harder.

Algodoo doesn't really cope well with geometries, hence why most fast moving scenes tend to use circles and rectangles, or when you're dragging some form of object along a geometry it doesn't always appear that you're on it, more floating above or in it.

Upping the density immensely on the objects can help, however the best fix is to use these:
Rating: rated 8.6
Filesize: 27.98 kB
Comments: 23
Ratings: 28
download
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Re: Gears not working

Postby citfta » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi electronicboy,

Thanks for the program to make circle gears. I downloaded it and practiced for a while making different size gears. Now I need to see if they will work for my project.

Thanks again,
Carroll
citfta

Return to Algodoo in general