Inline 4 Diesel Engine

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Re: Inline 4 Diesel Engine

Postby PooPingDung » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 am

the valves just come right off of the engine and glitch around the engine? :shock:
PooPingDung

Postby Gent » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Oops :oops: its now fixed sorry :roll:
Classic example of getting bit by glue together :crazy:
After adding anything to the engine always start the scene and hit r to release it and make sure nothing is stuck to the background it can be very hard to track down ;)

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 39.63 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download
"I should be working on my plane"
Gent

Postby PooPingDung » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Ugh im having a hard time replicating injectors that small :x .
Do you have team viewer so we can go on my algodoo or yours and work on the engine togeather?
:thumbup:
PooPingDung

Postby Gent » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:53 am

Sorry I dont have anything like that :oops:
I'm going to try and get the camshaft and gears done this evening and the timing on the valves established
I will leave the injector lobes blank for now, once we have a workable base engine then we can realy get to work on the fuel injectors ;)
One thing you can do is set the grid base higher and or build the complex parts at 2 or even 4X size then scale
them down. Dont use polygons for anything that collides if at all possible :thumbup: also dont make anything collide with water, management and manipulation of collision groups is key in something like this so if a part doesnt have to collide to work make it collide with nothing.
This is going to get complicated, if it was easy we would have seen something like this years ago :crazy:
PS I'm trying to keep the parts count as low as possible in the base engine which is why it looks "clunky"
so far :lol:
Gent

Postby Gear97 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 am

Hey I have also Skype ! And nice work with the valves Gent :thumbup: :clap: But one tip: the springs must have much more damping around 1.2 because they need to be very "smooth" when stretched by the cam.
My smoke just need some adjustements and we have problem I am using the new beta and the engine just don't spins because of the new hinges... I have tried to set legacyMode to 0 but it stills bad..
Hey I have a nice way to make a cam ! And the shape stays very good. ;)
HEY I HAVE TEAMVIEWER TOO !
Gears are my favorite mechanism. Why do you think I have this username ? ;)
Make sure to spend some time to see my work http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/profile.php?id=96, just to kill sometime ;)
PS: Gear97™ Is a trademark from me. Any unauthorized use of the term "Gear" for usernames or other naming ideas will be punished.
Gear97

Postby Gent » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:19 am

The hinges in the beta TOTALY AND COMPLETELY SUCK ASS so far and WILL not work for anything remotely like this yet unfortunately :x I have spent a lot of time trying to make even a simple engine in the beta and while they have fixed some of the stretch issues you cant even make a simple car roll down a hill :evil:
The best engine I have ever made has got few comments because everyone is screwing with the beta :wtf:
Lets do this in something that works like 1.8.5
I have avoided inline engines in the past because it takes tons of hinges to simulate a shaft :roll:
Its hard enough to model a very 3D object in 2D without STUPID acting hinges :roll:
I'll quit yelling now but if you want to do this in beta I'm done :cry:
Gent

Postby Someone Else » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:46 am

Well, I guess I'm not going to join this collab in full then...

However, I will download Kilinich's gradient pack and try to make my own, more realistic smoke.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby PooPingDung » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 am

Dude Its being done in 1.8.5 thats my version and i never tried the beta i dont like what people are saying about it. :thumbdown: Yeah 1.8.5 is the real latest working algodoo ;) And we can simplify the hinges that it takes to make a shaft for our little inline 4 and remember we cant rush this because it will end up crappy :x .
PooPingDung

Postby PooPingDung » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 am

Someone Else wrote:Well, I guess I'm not going to join this collab in full then...

However, I will download Kilinich's gradient pack and try to make my own, more realistic smoke.

If you show us your new smoke and we like it we will use it for the exhaust :thumbup:
Just upload it when you made the new version please :P ...
PooPingDung

Postby Gent » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Basic cam "shaft" in place what a PITA I made the hinges bigger for apperance which made selecting the little circles difficult :oops: the far right one is basicaly spare for fuel pump drive or whatever ;)
The actual cam drive will be on the left hopefully I'll get that done tonight

Filesize: 39.23 kB
download
Gent

Postby Gear97 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm

This collab is getting harder, but at the same time it feels like the ending result will be very good.
Hey Can I use lasers or not ??? :?:
Hey PooPingDung, can I add you on skype ? What's your adress ?
EDIT: Here is the muffler, I dont know if the design is good, I made the muffler based on an image I found on google and I don't know if the smoke is how you guys wanted so I can still modify its properties.
Rating: rated 6.6
Filesize: 30.99 kB
Comments: 9
Ratings: 7
download
Make sure to spend some time to see my work http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/profile.php?id=96, just to kill sometime ;)
PS: Gear97™ Is a trademark from me. Any unauthorized use of the term "Gear" for usernames or other naming ideas will be punished.
Gear97

Postby PooPingDung » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:36 am

search up on diesel exhaust and how it looks and how it reacts also upload your scenes as work in progress or collaboration.
PooPingDung

Postby Gear97 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 am

OK, I should've searched, the only thing I did was watch some diesel smoke videos, but chemical and physical properties suit best for my needs.
Gear97

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 am

My attempt at smoke failed due to a bug in 1.9.7.

However, see if you can make this code suit your needs by modifying values:
Code: Select all
        scene.addCircle({
            airFrictionMult := 0.10000000000000000
            color := [0, 0, 0, 0.30000000000000004];
            texture := "radial-white-transp.png";
            drawBorder := false;
            drawCake := false;
            density := 0.00010000000000000000;
            onHitByLaser := (e)=>{e.geom.density = e.geom.density + 0.00010000000000000000};
            textureMatrix := [0.50000000000000000, 0.00000000000000000, 0.50000000000000000, 0.00000000000000000, 0.50000000000000000, 0.50000000000000000, 0.00000000000000000, 0.00000000000000000, 1.0000000000000000];
            collideSet := 32;
            heteroCollide := true;
            geomID := 1;
            pos := [0, 5];
            vel := [(((scene.addCircle({
                collideSet := 0;
                airFrictionMult = -inf;
                pos := [+inf, +inf]
            })).color(0)) - 0.50000000000000000) * 20, (((scene.addCircle({
                collideSet := 0;
                airFrictionMult = -inf;
                pos := [+inf, +inf]
            })).color(0)) - 0.50000000000000000) * 20]
        });
        scene.addLaserPen({
            color := [1, 1, 1, 0.010000000000000000];
            geom := 1;
            relPoint := [0, 0];
            maxRays := 1
        })

NOTE: it uses a texture in Kilinich's Gradient Texture Demo Pack.
I am about to post a comment here explaining how to install a PHI file.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby Gent » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 am

Hi guys
@Gear97 sure we can use lasers and I plan to but lets keep it to a minimum and do this as mechanicaly as possible, I like your smoke effect and it should be easy to time to the rpm and power level of the engine,
the extra "bearing" on the right end of the "camshaft" can be used for that sort of thing ;)
The cam timing gears and drive is almost finished, back to work :lol:
PS I will get on skype first chance I get but I'm using my limited time to try and get a runable engine built :lol:
@ Someone Else, why dont you just download 1.8.5 in a different directory and use it for this the beta hinges
SUCK A$$ and this has a gob in it already :?: :roll:
Gent

Postby PooPingDung » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:08 am

Gear97 wrote:OK, I should've searched, the only thing I did was watch some diesel smoke videos, but chemical and physical properties suit best for my needs.

ok if you want to then search them up and ty o impliment that into algodoo.
[b]This is just an idea but we might have the engine produce exhaust inside of the combustion chamber and travel through the muffler and then exits. [/b]

@Someone Else: OMG THANK you for the code :clap: :thumbup: :D , Were is klinich's post for this pack?
PooPingDung

Postby PooPingDung » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 am

@Gear97: My skype name is "NickIsTheBoss"
PooPingDung

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:17 am

Click the link in my post (the word "here" at the bottom) for the Algobox page with my tutorial, Kilinich has the link to the forum page with the installer there.

Note that that code does spawn lasers. This is to decrease the density over time as the smoke cools.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Gent » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:54 am

Hi guys, finaly have the cam drive and shafts DONE :lol:
Will have the valves working and timed tomorrow evening ;)
I hope I'm not hogging the mechanics on this and ANY ideas are welcome ;)
The interesting part is going to be the fuel system and throttle I'm just trying to
make a solid base to work with, THAT I know how to do even if I'm a bit slow :lol:
Left arrow to turn in the right direction for running.
Firing order will be 1,3,4,2
1,2,4,3 will also work but 1342 is more common for this type ;)
349 parts just to get to this point :lol:

Filesize: 53.36 kB
download
Gent

Postby Gear97 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:33 pm

@Gent, Nice work mate ! I managed it to work in the newest version with some tricks... It is very smooth and very good looking, it is amazing to see the engine working even now when it still not done. :clap:
@PooPingDung, EDIT: Found you !
@SomeoneElse My code does exactly the same thing, plus it does not use lasers and the smoke does not use any collision layer and I managed ro ajust the color changing very precisely so that even with lots of smoke it fades out, my smoke uses Kilinich's new spawn tech. ;). Why don't you try using it ? It may not bug.
_____
Also I think I should work on the fuel, to simulate its physical properties. And I have a different idea about how to power the engine, instead of collision or spawning power, I have any idea that stills using spawning but in a different way, the fuel particles when hit by an object of an specific color, expand their size !
When they collide they delete themselves and spawn another circle 2 times bigger where they center was.
And of course there is a density adjustment to the new particles.
Check it out:
Rating: rated 5.3
Filesize: 207.21 kB
Comments: 8
Ratings: 2
download

PS: This engine is very buggy! Keep trying, if you are lucky it may work for a minute or two. If it fails just keep reseting the simulation.
Last edited by Gear97 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear97

Postby PooPingDung » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:05 pm

techtoda
PooPingDung

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:09 am

I figured out the problem was in the random velocity bit of the code, it will soon be fixed.

I found your smoke/fire demoscene, I like the idea. I will use it and give due credit.

I shall now make a version that starts out with a fuel like you mentioned (not a new idea by the way- an old contest used it), when it detonates it spawns fire, which then turns into smoke.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Gear97 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 am

Great idea ! Someone Else ! I missed the "piro-effects" inside the chamber. Your idea is very good, I will wait to see what you will do, but so far it seems to be very nice. :)
Gear97

Postby Gent » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:02 am

Hi guys,
@ Gear97, thank you for the nice comments ;)
I am realy struggling now to get the cam lobes right, after tons of work to get the timing right on just one exhaust lobe I'm finding its trying to kick the valve stem sideways out of the guides at speed :oops:
The valve guides are now twice as thick :roll:
This is my first "flat tappet" engine so please bear with me but its looking like the valve stems will have to be made
thicker also :( Just means more tedious work and I am realy trying to make this as educational and realistic as possible so that sucks :(
Latest scene with the ports in place so you guys can work on nice exhaust/intake manifolds which should include
something that at least looks like a turbocharger as most modern diesels have one ;)

Filesize: 68.56 kB
download

@PooPingDung, I dont think that we can actualy "pump" the exhaust out of the cylinder and still make an engine that makes any "real" power within the limitations of this program unless you want to wait for 30 seconds for each stroke :lol:

Here is a link that will help the people that dont already understand what valve timing is all about:
http://www.compcams.com/catalog/COMP201 ... 2011_8.pdf
Gent

Postby PooPingDung » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:35 am

Yeah im going to add a Turbo and try and impliment it into the actual engine which I know how to :thumbup:
Ok then no real exhaust then. (I have seen exhause being pumped out of a algodoo engine before i just dont remember:(
PooPingDung

PreviousNext

Return to Collab forum