Modular Spaceship Collab

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Re: Modular Spaceship Collab

Postby ags131 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Another Coupler. This time using Lasers Lot less parts flipping around.:)
\ ENGAGES LOCK
ENTER DISENGAGES LOCK

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 34.02 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download
ags131

Postby davidz40 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 am

Even less parts flipping around!
Rating: rated 6.4
Filesize: 310.94 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 4
download

Seriously, Your ideas are very good, but I though that this can be made simplier, so I created that.
And it's phun compatible, if that matters.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby ags131 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Feel free to use my Mouse Distance code.
It works by getting the distance of the mouse from the collide position.
ags131

Postby davidz40 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Ok,thanks, I'll try.
On the other hand, I think it's unlikely that we will need more than 10 docks (numbers 0-9).
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:45 pm

ags, davidz, sorry to burst your bubbles, but NONE of the things you have posted since my last post have worked properly.
On ags's first one, they lock okay, but enter unlocks ALL of them.
On ags's second one, they entirely refuse to lock at all.
On davidz's most recent one, they lock okay, but are very difficult to unlock.

I should mention that I have 1.8.0, and maybe that could be the source of my problems.
But still, is seems that it should work whether I have 1.8.0 or 1.8.5.

Anyway, this is what I meant by combining my auto-lock mechanism with davidz's angled design.
Come to think of it, I guess you don't really need to have those pins with the angle thingy.
Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 52.86 kB
Ratings: 2
download

P.S. davidz, when are you going to upload that improved computer thing with the two moving heads that you mentioned on the scenes forum?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 pm

I had some unexpected problems with computer, but I think I'll be able to finish it soon.
I'll test Your new module design, as well as trying to improve mine, because they're simplier and will lag less.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby ags131 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 pm

The laser based one requires pressing \ to lock. No Autolock :(
The other unlocks fine on 1.8.5 Dont have 1.8.0 so havent been able to check it.

EDIT: Laser based one works properly on 1.8.0
Collision based one isnt working for me on either version.
ags131

Postby davidz40 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Some comments on SomeoneElse's modules:
I agree that pins are unnecessary, because they make docking much harder. My modules have some error margin.
Moreover, They use two moving parts for every door, and both doors need to be closed separately,
while mine locks/unlocks both doors at once.

As I said, i'll work on my modules and make them easier to unlock, because they are considerably simplier.
My goal was to make lock that auto-locks without any special mechanism (done), and uses moving parts only on the junction part, and any docking thing needs only two boxes, one with simple script, to dock with junction.

Still, I think that SomeoneElse's ones are really good, and I'll study them while improving my modules.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby davidz40 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Rating: rated 6.4
Filesize: 310.94 kB
download

Done!
Totally jam-proof (unless you crash modules into each other at very high speed or weird angle), lock with big margin of error, some capability to auto-straighten the lock.

Since everybody seems to have different algodoo version, I could really consider to make things phun compatible to avoid compatibility mess.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:15 pm

@davidz- NICE!
Two things I can ask are:
  • 1. Somehow auto-set the lock back to docking mode after undocking has been achieved.
  • 2. Add my couplers to one end of your docking mechanism. By that, I mean make a box with one side of your mechanism on one side and my couplers on all the other sides. Like I have in the thumbnail of the last scene I posted.
Or maybe, once you have solved thingy #1 above and applied ags's mouse distance code to it- or maybe ags will do that himself- I will modify it to replace my old couplers. But until then, I will try to figure out how your last thing works.

EDIT BEFORE I EVEN POSTED THIS: Auto-resetting can easily be achieved by setting the motor controlling the lock bar thing to NOT TOGGLE! So, so simple! And it works great on 1.8.0. And I still can't figure out how that thing works. I understand the code and all, but I just can't figure out how it all goes together.
But, we really need an airlock. I could probably whip one up that fits onto my couplers in a few minutes.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Wow, thanks for appreciation! Airlock is a good idea, I think that the easiest way to make airlock is to make docking module with additional auto open/close door, like in modules but without rest of mechanism. I'll work on it.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Filesize: 71.03 kB
download

My newest addition to the modular spaceship series, the Air Lock Module.
The one door closes a bit before the other opens, but the difference is so slight you can't really see it at 100% real time.
But I want to see what davidz will come up with.

The main problem I have with these is they rotate vvveeerrrrrrrrrrryyy sslllloooooowwwwlllllyyy when you start the sim.
But, that is not such a big deal.

Even so, I want something tutorial-like- or at least an explanation- for davidz's latest docking gizmo.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 am

Explanation:
In docking mode, circle sets controllerAcc of junction door to 20.
The other door has controlleracc of 20 too.
On collision, both doors check if the other object has 20 controlleracc, and junction door checks if it's own controlleracc=20 too, so changing controlleracc of junction door makes whole docking impossible. If all conditions are granted, they change collision groups and colors accordingly, to create passable lock.

When undocking, circles on the moving bar set colors and collidesets back to undocked state. ControllerAcc of junction door is set to 0, so the modules cannot auto-dock back by accident.
After pressing number once more, rotating bar returns to starting pos, and sets controlleracc back to 20. We have starting conditions.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:48 am

Ah, so that's why the motor on the moving bar was set to toggle. But, maybe you (or I) could create some mechanical latch that would hold the moving bar in the undocking position until the modules actually move away from each other. I will get to work on that.
Also, I am participating in an informal collab on the scenes forum, inspired by Ravenplucker's small, agile rocket thing. I wonder if I might be able to use the technology in that to make a shuttle, using the technology in your docking modules. I will get to work on that, too.
By the way, I still want to see your air lock design.
Also, thanks for replying so quickly.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:08 am

Airlock done - Doors activate on collision, and close after set time.
Rating: rated 5.5
Filesize: 155.48 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 2
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:06 am

That works.
Maybe when one door opens, the other auto-closes?
Dunno how you could do that, but it would certainly work.
Maybe also use some gizmo to force the doors to open or close upon key press. In other words, combine your automatic system with my key-controlled thing.
But I agree, putting an air lock into a docking module would be better than my design.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 am

I'll try to cross-couple them tomorrow, so when one opens, the other one closes.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby jakedmoon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:11 am

could i make a kart for transportation on the ship?
Ουλές αποτελούν απόδειξη ότι το παρελθόν υπήρχε.
jakedmoon

Postby Mystery » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:28 am

Oh wow this collab has advanced so much.
David you really turned this around :thumbup:
I will be happy to help.
Mystery

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 am

@jakedmoon- Go right ahead! :thumbup:
@Mystery- PLEASE DO! And I suppose davidz really is to blame for this collab coming as far as it did- his first docking modules inspired me to make my thymechanical coupler, and then it continued to rise from there. 'Course, there was also that well-timed bump from Holomanga.

I have completed my slight modification on davidz's thing- the latest docking modules.
Filesize: 62.96 kB
download

Now, they stay in the undocking position until undocking has actually been achieved. At that point, they will return to the docking position automatically. I did essentially copy davidz's code. So HUGE credit to him.

Recently, I discovered the Agile Rocket-pod Lander Scene. There is now an informal collab going on there between me and Ravenplucker, just as this collab has been going on between me and davidz recently. I think the technology there could be used for propulsion here. And a space shuttle. In case anyone wants to see if that might work.
Yes, I am advertising. So what?
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:02 pm

The propulsion from lander scene is nice, but having more fuel will mean big lag. I have pretty nice rocket engine, can be modified to use "fuel" by decreasing some value, like controllerAcc.
Rating: rated 6.3
Filesize: 73.46 kB
Comments: 5
download

SomeoneElse: very good modification, will certainly make docking easier. I think I'll borrow it and work a bit on this, like incorporating mouse distance code or something. But I don't really like the green pins-they give no margin of error, so docking will be really hard.

BTW what version of algodoo are You using? Because in 1.6.0 hinge motors are ultra-weak (0.1 Nm or so)
Since we don't use lasers, what about making things phun coppatible? (making in algodoo, then opening in phun and re-adjusting hinges/springs). Algodoo made things are version specific, but phun made ones are ganerally not. What You say about this?
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:00 pm

The green pins are really only meant to be used on modules used inside the ship, while the angled thing is on the outside of the ship to enable easier docking. Assuming, at least, that the green pins you mentioned are the ones on the couplers I made and ags modified. There was also a green box and a small green triangle on that last set of docking modules I made. These only enable the auto-lock thing I made. Take them off and you are left with basically the same thing you made.

BTW I use 1.8.0. The only problem I have with making things Phun-compatible is I have Phun on one thumb drive and Algodoo on another. And I'm kinda lazy. But I guess I will give it a shot.

EDIT- I tested out that rocket system of yours, and the problem I had was the rockets apply a force on the whole ship at once. I am looking for a system that more closely imitates the performance of the the restitution rocket I mentioned earlier. RaRockets would do it, but they are laser-based. I will attempt to figure out the code there and make it collision-based.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Someone Else » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:52 am

Yes, I know I just double-posted. I just want to make sure this actually gets bumped.
I have built a fully-functioning shuttle based on a slightly modified version of my docking module and a slightly modified version of Ra2's thruster. I adjusted the code slightly and changed the collision layers of one box. So big credit to Ra2 there. Also, it uses lasers, so it will not work in Phun.

Filesize: 171.98 kB
download

Here is the scene.

@davidz- Where are the cross-coupled air locks?
@jakedmoon- Where is this kart thing?
@Mystery- What do you want to help with? Where is it?
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Cross-coupled docks soon. I have some problems with it, but I'll solve that eventually for sure.
I'll work to localise force on my thrusters too, because I like their flame effect. :D Maybe just use collision G for propulsion?
I arleady slightly upgraded modules too, the angled parts holding module are at different angle, so they push module away slightly at undock. That makes motor toggle or other undock aids unnecesary. Now I try to make whole junction capable of turning on/off, to save keybinds.
Ah, and I changed drastically module density, so one empty module weights 5000kg, similiar to ISS.

By the way, are we aiming more for space station, or battleship? I have some pretty neat weapon ideas.

One more thing. I have few exams soon (quantum mechanics and other funny things), so I may be a bit less active in next 30 days or so.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:30 am

PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR WEAPON THINGS!!!
Really, I would lean toward battleship-like more that space station-like, but you also can't forget about Star Trek/Enterprise-like.
I think that modules are inherently suited to virtual battleships because they break, and could be in theory be rebuilt. Perhaps by the other team.
I think the only way to localize the thrusters would be to do something Ra2-like- spawning a ball going faster than the thruster- or you could combine the spawning with the flame thing and spit out a line of circles that disappear after some amount of time. Maybe controllerAcc = sim.time + 2 ; controllerAcc == sim.time ? {density = NaN} or something. Better yet, combine the two.

I am likely to have exams as soon as I get off of snow day.

Oh, and I will try to combine your newest docking module with my coupler so it is easier to connect / disengage. I like how yours locks on collision. What I mean is, figure out some way to incorporate your docking thing so that you only need one connector shape. What I mean is, on mine, one connector connects with a duplicate of itself, yours connects with something totally and completely different.
Also, a good upgrade would be to set it up so that if two connected modules are forcefully but smoothly pulled apart, the doors will "close".
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

PreviousNext

Return to Collab forum