Modular Spaceship Collab

Postby Holomanga » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:29 pm

I came up with this concept for a modular spaceship:
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 225.03 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

Now, I want you to make some modules! Together we cna make the largest starship known to phunkind!

Simply create a module using this teplate along with some information on where it should go in the ship, and it will be added, as long as it fulfills its intended purpose.

You could aslo create a new ship using existing modules. Maybe we could make a fleet or something.
Holomanga

Re: Modular Spaceship Collab

Postby electronicboy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:42 pm

this kinda reminds me of something me and kutis did when we where both bored.

from the scene's thumbnail, the connectors at the sides are out of line and it looks abit low quality, can't check out the actual scene though as i am on my mobile.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Kutis 96 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 am

electronicboy wrote:this kinda reminds me of something me and kutis did when we where both bored.

XD Yeah, that's true. I could upload my Manta ship with controll panels and some simple world. I can also upload Manta H with Hyper booster that makes it very speedy :lol:
I'm back! (not really!)

I'm also making real hardware, sometimes.
Kutis 96

Postby Mystery » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:52 pm

I support the idea greatly and will happily help int he collab but the design is flawed.
For starters the base segment's connection points are very inconsistent and not exactly ideal for modular design.
Secondly the initial segments design isn't exactly realistic i would opt we follow the ISS's initial design and follow on from that. I think We should start from 2000-07-12 (When the ISS was first habitable) with only three preset segments.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... TS-106.jpg

From there we can add our own personal deign to the construction.

I think what we need to start on first is an agreeable universal dock (To avoid the issues the Real ISS faces with the Russian and american docks)
If we want to get really fancy we could use Kilinich's electricity simulator (or something similar) to replicate power supply (Solar panels) and powers consumption.
For now i think this needs to be in the planing stage, like discussing what the next steps are and such.
Mystery

Postby ducky21 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Why real life. Bring on the Photon torpedos. ;)
ducky21

Postby Someone Else » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 am

Exactly. Who cares about real life. Photon torpedoes all the way! :)
Oh, and I rebuilt the module. It's now made entirely of boxes.
Filesize: 309.06 kB
download

Sorry about the thumbnail. :(

By the way, what are photon torpedoes?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby Holomanga » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Hey Someone else, great job on the modular spaceship modules! :clap:

I'm gonna make a mining ship using them.

EDIT:
Here it is!
Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 0.54 MB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 2
download
Holomanga

Postby Kutis 96 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 am

I have some questions for this collab :)

First: Do it need to fly with gravity or without gravity?
Second: How it should be fast? Can i use modified Ra2's thruster? (I modified it for higher speed and performance, + 250 m/s every 10 second, and it can get more)
Third: I think we need also to modify the modules. There are some reasons why:
-if i want to move something from module A to module B, there is no hole or something!
-i think there is too much space on between the modules if they're coupled with their up and down
-we need to make it more stable - look - if you'll make from the 20 modules a line; then drag one of the ends and see how is it spongy... this is not good while using fast and powerful propulsion in only one module... we should make something that will couple the modules together in line, but it still doesn't solve the problems i wrote.

That's all :) i'll try to mod them myself and post 'em here
I'm back! (not really!)

Kutis 96

Postby davidz40 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:20 pm

I agree with Mystery, something like ISS would be better, not to mention that fixing parts to each other is simplier and less laggy than fancy hooks.
I have some yet unimplemented techs that could be usefull for battle spaceships, Ill post them if that collab turn out interesting.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:49 am

@davidz40- If you are aiming for real life, then how can you fixate stuff? Seems like fancy hooks are the only way.
Also, the collab might not turn out anything interesting at all without your unimplemented techs for battleships.
Finally, how are you going to blow up ships if all the parts are fixated together?

@Kutis 96- First, it appears we are going without gravity, but if you can build a planet and a ship that can land on it, cool!
Second, go right ahead and use Ra2's thruster that you modified, so long as it's OK with Ra2.
Third, Modify away!
-You could use the space between the hooks on the double hook modules. Put a door between the hooks and loops on the top and bottom of the modules, and use the space between the modules as an air lock. Or put a door on either side of the hook on the modules with only one hook. Or just beam stuff from one module to another.
-You could flatten the hooks and loops a bit, so the modules lie a bit closer together. On the order of two meters or half a meter (not sure) so all the beams are the same thickness.
-When are you ever going to need a ship that long and skinny? You could, however, fixate a bunch of hooks to a really long beam.

Happy now, everyone? :)

EDIT- I modified the scene, so now there are modules with doors and long structural modules.
Filesize: 293.42 kB
Comments: 2
download

Kutis, if you want to squash my hooks and knobs half a meter so they are more space-friendly, go right ahead but be prepared to build adapters.

P.S. Yay! My thumbnail worked right this time! :D
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby Kutis 96 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Ok, i'll try to make my own, and i'll make it dockable = that means i could connect another spaceship to it, transport something and unconnect, and fly out. I'll make it also with some prototypes of storage rooms, propulsion module, sleeping module, controlling module... :D it's good idea of modular spaceship, i really like it :P
I'm back! (not really!)

Kutis 96

Postby Kutis 96 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Rating: rated 5.4
Filesize: 11.42 kB
Comments: 2
download

Here's a try of an ISS-like connector.

If you don't like, tell me, i didn't make ISS, you know, so ths is a try :D
I'm back! (not really!)

Kutis 96

Postby Kutis 96 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Filesize: 10.68 kB
download

-Here it is, my new design of modules. Now, Mystery, you can use it as ISS :thumbup:
I'm back! (not really!)

Kutis 96

Postby Someone Else » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Sorry, Kutis, I don't wish to sound mean or anything but I am scared. Your new modules are only superior to mine in that they might be more realistic, they can more easily be coupled while the simulation is running, and they might be a bit flatter.
    A few problems I have with these new modules:
  • There's no doors anywhere. In space, the cabin pressure would instantaneously drop to zero.
  • Ever tried the snake-ship test? Try putting twenty modules in a line.
  • It's not spongy at all. It just breaks.
  • It LLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
  • The hooks on opposite sides are not lined up.
  • Do you really want a ship shaped like a parallelogram?
  • It is realistic.
  • Fast and powerful propulsion would be even more difficult with these new and disimproved modules.

Again, no offense intended anywhere. Just voicing my opinions about these modules. :)
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Mystery » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 am

You have problems with it being It realistic? Are you insane.
Mystery

Postby davidz40 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:58 pm

First of all, ~~~Merry Christmas~~~

Second, I think that hinging modules to each other is better than hooks,and lags less.
Here's my version of modules, and drive.
Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 337.26 kB
Comments: 1
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby ducky21 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Yes we have problems with realism. I think it's called sci fi. But seriously, ISS would be cool.
ducky21

Postby Holomanga » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:20 pm

@Kutis: Your modules just fall apart
@Davids: If all the modules are hunged together, then dopcking ports and connecting ships together won't be as easy.
Holomanga

Postby davidz40 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

New,dockable modules
Rating: rated 6.1
Filesize: 28.02 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 3
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:32 am

Now that is pretty cool. They can easily lock and unlock while the sim is running and seem to hold together quite well. The script is of the kind that I disapprove of less than any other, and you can pass stuff through the doors when they are locked together. And it's not particularly realistic- it would fail at least as badly as Kutis's does in the virtual world in real life. What I mean is, Kutis's fails in Algodoo, while yours would fail in real life. Both fail to the same degree.

The downsides that I have found would not be so difficult to fix- make the white doors collide on A, No Self, but not water so I can pretend that air cannot pass through them and neither can ragdolls. No self so the white doors won't collide with each other, but not water so they will collide with ragdolls.

Another easy fix would be to make the face around the doors flat, with only the bar on the door sticking out, so only one repeated module is needed to build a whole ship.

A slightly more difficult fix would be to trigger the doors turning gray by pushing the modules into each other. This could be accomplished with some linkage. The other module pushing into it would push a scripted circle into this module's door bar.

The most difficult, but also most necessary fix would be to come up with a better way of unlocking the modules. The present method would unlock the left side of ALL modules, and that just would not work well. Perhaps the person to ask here would be Kutis. I say this because of your sig and of the fact that Kutis is already in this collab.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby electronicboy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:27 am

ok, kutis's scene runs fine in 1.8.4 (im using that version due to an issue i have in ubuntu with 1.8.5) and creates a really strong joint!
but in 1.8.5(using a windows xp machine), the hinges are weak creating a weak joint
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Someone Else » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:45 pm

electronicboy wrote:ok, kutis's scene runs fine in 1.8.4 (im using that version due to an issue i have in ubuntu with 1.8.5) and creates a really strong joint!
but in 1.8.5(using a windows xp machine), the hinges are weak creating a weak joint

I am running 1.8.0 (cheapskate) on Windows XP and, as I said earlier, Kutis's thing fails horribly. Personally, I think the best modules presented so far are davidz's. The main reasons I have this view are in my last post, and there is so much potential for them. Matter of fact, I think I will try to modify them myself. I will put my results here. You know, modify the scripts and mechanics... MECHANICS!?!?!?!?!? D'oh, that means lag... oh well. Can't have everything at once.

Sorry I broke out like that. :)

EDIT- Here's the scene. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

Rating: rated 5.5
Filesize: 39.41 kB
download
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Holomanga » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:11 pm

I have an idea!

We could use the someone else modules for main spaceship assembly, and then use a modified version of davidz's modules for the front of the spacehsip to enable docking! :)
Holomanga

Postby Someone Else » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 am

I have a better idea!

We could use my newest modules for the main spaceship assembly, then combine davidz's angled design with my auto-lock mechanism and put that on the front to enable docking! :)
And try to get Kutis to enable mouse control for unlocking! :) (see the scene description for details)

My newest modules:
Filesize: 75.66 kB
download
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby ags131 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Heres a modified version of the coupler that uses mouse control. Press enter when mouse is over the coupling to disengage. I beat Kutis to it. :D

Rating: rated 5.5
Filesize: 16.86 kB
download
ags131

Next

Return to Collab forum