Modular Spaceship Collab

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Re: Modular Spaceship Collab

Postby davidz40 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm

I've managed to localise my thruster!! nozzle has tiny negative attraction, and engine spawns no attraction big mass circles.

For rotation, shuttle uses inertialess rotation device, consisting of only 4 parts.

And the gun. Still beta version, i'm planning to incorporate up/down aiming and some muzzle flash.

Rating: rated 6.4
Filesize: 310.94 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 4
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm

How the heck does that gun work?
I think the one thing that shuttle needs is reverse thrust. Dunno where you would put it, but it needs to be there somewhere. And, I think I am going to give in and make my modules compatible with yours. I will also combine your script with my symmetrical design, so couplers will auto-lock on contact, hold in place until you press the key, and then slightly push off of each other.

One interesting thing about that gun is it is possible to have a sort of shotgun effect. If you do not hold F long enough to fire, it will load another bullet into the chamber and fire both as the same time.

Dunno haw I am going to build a symmetrical coupler that will be easy to lock, though. Maybe make the pins bigger and hold them in place with several hinges?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm

I also feel that reverse thrust is needed, and some small side thrusters possibly too.
As for symmetrical couplers-that might be hard, but should be possible. Hinged pins is good idea.
I think that we need some list of things to be done. My suggestions are:
    -External robotic arm for object manipulation, and maybe help in docking
    -Adding some hooks on the sides of modules to attach said arm, or other devices.
    -Space suit for ragdoll
    -Replacing default ragdoll with something better (but not too complicated)
    -Power/data transfer lines in modules (might be hard, and probably will take 1 collision group, so I have mixed feeling about this)
    -More weapons
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 am

Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 356.38 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

Symmetrical couplers- DONE.
Everything is now on the same scale as your newest modules, so PLEASE add anything you build from here on to this scene and post it as a response.
I made the same shape modules as I did last time, but with the new couplers and on the new scale. I also built small, very cramped adapters, so only one small module is needed to connect your couplers with mine.
I also modified the default ragdoll a bit, so it now only eats up one collision layer. A.
I added some heteroCollides to the script, so the junction doors collide when they are closed, but not when they are open/docked, and they stick out a bit from flush with the face of the module.
The mahogany-ish circles that are intended to collide when the moving bar is in the undocking position have exactly the same code, so pressing the release key for either door will close both and the junction doors will then collide with each other. So, since they are already overlapping, they push apart.

More weapons are DEFINATELY in order. I made a fully-automatic spawning cannon for the Machine Gun Contest and you can modify that if you want.

I think the easiest way to attach the robotic arm to something would be through docking it.
Add as many thrusters as you want, so long as you only need eight buttons to control it- 4 arrows, 2 ctrl, 2 Shift.
Make a ragdoll out of space-suit looking pieces, then connect them with hinges with almost no torque and set to auto-brake.
Finish up the cross-coupled air lock.
Give me an explanation on how that gun works.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Wow, really,really good work with couplers! They seem to be even better than mine, in terms of dockine ease and stiffness. :clap:
I'll need to make my modules doors stick out too, because that really help docking.

Explanation for gun:
projectile consist of 2 circles hinged together.
collider on the breech set collideset of smaller circle to E, and attraction to -1000; There's E collision box
on the barrel rear. Circle accelerates in the barrel. On the front, there are 2 colliders that collide with both projectile circles.
Small circle is set to 1000 density no collision. It pushes projectile forwards. Bigger one is 2 density ABCD collision, and it deals actual damage.
But spamming scene with attraction is bad, so I'm going to switch to spring bullets.

Cross-coupled airlock and upgraded shuttle are underway.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Or bouncy bullets. The gun I made for that contest spawns a ball on collision B in the gun barrel that slides backward in the barrel until it hits a collision box with restitution = 100 and changes the ball's collision to B. I will go ahead and modify it so the spawner box collides with the first collision box-the one that pushes the collision B ball back into the high-restitution box- as little as possible, but still have it work. I will also add your compound ball thing.
I will get to work on it.
By the way, thanks for the praise on the coupler.
And I can't wait for the air lock and shuttle mod.
And another upgrade on that thruster of yours might be in order-
davidz40 wrote:But spamming scene with attraction is bad, ...

I think the only way to fix this is to go the RaRocket or Ra2 route. The Ra2 code is in the scene with my shuttle thing.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby davidz40 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Ok. Shuttle is completed. Has two side thrusters that are angled so firing both of them makes ship go reverse.
I placed all things in one scene as You said, but deleted three long modules because my comp sucks and I wasn't able to test shuttle due to epic lag. Other than that, it still contains all essential parts.
I fixed hinges to make them phun/algodoo 1.6.0 compatible. In all Your scenes they have less than 1 Nm of power. Fortunately that's easy to fix. Tell me if that scene works in Your Algodoo version too.
I also removed gun because it's still incomplete and I think I'll use 1 scene for modules, and 1 for weapons.
Rating: rated 5.5
Filesize: 155.48 kB
Comments: 1
Ratings: 2
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Someone Else » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:42 am

I added my gun to the last scene. Will upload tomorrow, school tomorrow.

EDIT- Yes, today is Saturday. Saturday school stinks. I do not dare uploading or downloading, for fear the Conspirators- the ones that put the Silicon Fist on my laptop- will come after me.
But here's the scene with my restitution/spawning machine gun.
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 162.29 kB
Ratings: 1
download

Oh, and everything works fine on my Algodoo. The old attraction gun sometimes pushed a bullet out of the magazine upon reload and firing two bullets at once usually causes the barrel thing to pop off, but those are not problems with my gun.
Also, mine can rotate the barrel independent of the ship. Speaking of which, I should make a bendy module- it will rotate in the middle with a key control.
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby Someone Else » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 200 kB
Ratings: 2
download

*bump*

I have integrated my own mouse distance code into my connectors.
As davidz40 said earlier, there probably isn't much need for mouse distance codes in the docking modules. Or, maybe I am just a little lazy.

But really, I think this really needed to be bumped.

And, the thumbnail came out fairly well. :)
I love my brain...

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Someone Else

Postby TC42 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Someone Else wrote:[
More weapons are DEFINITELY in order. I made a fully-automatic spawning cannon for the Machine Gun Contest and you can modify that if you want.

Capable of destroying anything in its path with minimal recoil. Unfortunately, it fires through the barrel in Phun, but fires backwards in algodoo :lol: Still works in algodoo though...
[scene]51190[/scene]
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Previous

Return to Collab forum