Babbage Engine

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Babbage Engine

Postby Someone Else » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 pm

I was inspired by the "Multiprocess Computer Contest" to build a Babbage engine. ducky21's comment inspired me to come here.
First, I need to find out how exactly the Analytical Engines work, and by that I mean actual plans.
When somebody finds these plans (I need plans for an Analytical Engine, Difference Engines aren't actually computers), I will post the link here. Or, if it's not on the internet, I will post the attachment here.

The scale will be based off of the gears on Kilinich's C-gear generator, with twice as many teeth as the plans call for. By that, I mean a 10 tooth gear in the plans will have 20 teeth in the scene. The teeth are 1 meter in diameter.
Rating: rated 8.6
Filesize: 27.98 kB
Comments: 23
Ratings: 28
download

The Babbage machines are programmed with punchcards, so I built an example one on Algodoo. Unlike real punchcards, it can be punched and unpunched. Download it here:
Rating: rated 5
Filesize: 93.06 kB
Comments: 0
Ratings: 1
download

Staff:
Me, Someone Else (Mechanical Engineer)
ducky21

Now hiring:
Mechanical Engineers
Phundamentalists
Beta Testers
Please no thymers- Babbage Engines are mechanical computers, not thymechanical computers. It's not easy to script real life.Unless, however, your thyme will spawn a non-scripted part. That would certainly be very helpful. :)
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Re: Babbage Engine

Postby coleyy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:33 am

i have some plans sorry if it is too small' but it its the best one i could findImage
I'm English. Я русский. Soy español. Je suis français. Ich bin Deutscher. 私は日本人です.Image
coleyy

Re: Babbage Engine

Postby Someone Else » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:37 am

coleyy wrote:i have some plans sorry if it is too small' but it its the best one i could findImage

Well... that would help, if I could read anything on it. I will look at the link the image is from.
Then I will probably use Google Images to find some other stuff.

By the way, want to help with the construction of this machine? Or be a beta tester? Just let me know...

EDIT- I was unable to find anything particularly useful. There is, however, a group of people who are attempting to build a real life Analytical Engine. Before they actually build it, they will construct a computer model. Their project is called Plan 28. There might actually be some info tn their website that I was unable to find due to impatience.

Think we might need to enlist the help of Paradigm 29 and/or Conundrumer for our project?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Return to Collab forum