World War Doo

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Re: World War Doo

Postby RicH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Wait. I think you guys aren't getting it. Don't release your weapons yet. You aren't even an official mercenary yet. For now, anyone can steal your work and claim it as there own. This would be totally legal as you technically aren't a mercenary. Once a side has published and announced that the work is theirs, noone else in the war can use it(direct copy-paste, concept can be used though).

@Nxdt:
It has a 3 GHz processor and about 1500 MB RAM. It can handle much.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Nice PC. ;)
When are people "Officaly" a mercenary and when does the building begin. I take it we need more people to play, you should make a sig banner thing.
Nxdt

Postby izacque » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:39 pm

err... RicH?

I can be in the north, right?
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby StephenAlverez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:51 pm

I really like this, but how do you have more than one person on the same simulation, not to mention many. I would be for the south, being a southerner. And if this is going to be live, then shouldn't there be times relative to where you are, e.g. 1:00 is 1:00 anywhere you are, as to make sure you are not confusing anybody. To do that, you could set the time on your computer to a general area, lets say we all set our time to Vancouver time. This would make 1:00 the same for everybody. That is just an idea, but I also do not get how this works, so make sure you prove me wrong.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby RicH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:54 am

In order to conquer a territory, a side must battle with whoever owns the territory they want to conquer. If the territory is unoccupied, the side will have to battle the staff. A war can last for up to a week(if this limit is reached, the staff will check to see who is winning and decide who the winner is) or until a side forfeits/loses.b

Which means, it's turn based. It's not going to be live either.
A war will consist of turns.
The first turn will always be given to the attacker.
Each turn lasts for 1 minute. In this time, one side will be able to command any of its units. It can move, attack etc.
After this minute is over, the simulation is paused. The turn will now belong to the other side.
This cycle will continue until a side can no longer attack, or if it retreats.

You are going to give us an order through the forums:
Leader of South wrote:Move tank 1 to <insert location here>

You will be given a maximum of 24 hours to give us an order. If this limit is exceeded(w/out any reason), your turn will be skipped.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby StephenAlverez » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:34 am

Ok, but how will you make it turn based? Will the same scene but changed according to the moves you made be uploaded each turn?
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby RicH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:40 am

Read the mechanics. It's right there. That minute is going to be the time the simulation is played, which means we will play out your orders. If that tank doesn't reach your destination within a minute, then it'll just stop where it is.

It will be uploaded.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby izacque » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 am

._. I hate to be that guy who asks a question three times, but I'm gonna ask a question three times because I'm kind of worried. I'm in the north, right?
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby RA2lover » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 am

also, how to be SURE the other troops dont move when not given a command? using auto-brake on land and sea vehicles is ok, but what about air vehicles?
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby izacque » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 am

err... well, a plane would have to go anyway... and a helicopter could just be set to hover at the end of the minute.
[/post]
izacque

Postby davidz40 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 pm

They might simply go to the target, drop a bomb, an then return to base and land.
btw is some degree of autonomy allowed? (auto aiming point defense guns, trying to dodge incoming bullets etc)
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby RA2lover » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 am

yes. btw, terrain will include a plane(d'oh!), and other objects with +inf density, if you're really on to smart weapons who are dumb enough to aim at the ground :lol: . it's ok to do this kind of autonomy, but with current sensor technology, i don't think you'll ever be able to sense if there is a bullet incoming before it's already on your face :crazy: , especially because some bullets will be small(like 5~500mm caliber(but scripted with lazors to send it at nefarious speeds(check its arcaic demonstration)). i'm still working on an integrator, able to snap-to-speed(so it has a limited velocity changing mobility and still is able to hit targets(without alot of efficiency, that is).)
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby davidz40 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Great to read that terrain will be easily distingiushable from other things.
As for "current sensor technology".. It depends on number of lasers used.
As Rich said, his pc can handle much. I made some experiments with 100-200 lasers in 'radar', and it can detect 1cm bullet travelling at few km/s.
But reaction time may be issue. My prototype auto flak cannon fires spring bullets, and has about 0,1s delay between detection and reaction.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby izacque » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 am

er, well isn't detecting a 1cm bullet a little overkill? I mean, how much damage can that do to an algodoo machine? heck, you could hit the ragdoll in the head with that point blank and nothing much would happen :/
[/post]
izacque

Postby Nxdt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Depends on the mass. But i think we should choose a realistic material, look up its actual desnity and take the square root to get the m^2 density.
Nxdt

Postby RA2lover » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:40 pm

it would be the same as the g/cm³ value, but i think we should make it the same weight, as the ragdoll has pretty much a normal human's weight(at the expense of a high density)

btw, a 1cm bullet travelling at 500+ m/s(and that could be achieved from only 5 meters away on algodoo, and probably you'll get mowed down before you actually get at that range, as 2d doesn't allow much camping :lol: ) would really be able to deal alot of damage to the standard ragdoll, but still less for heavier stuff.
Jrv wrote:

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Agarrett » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:23 pm

I'll join. I really want to make an awesome missile launcher that explodes on impact. I'll be a mercenary.
Agarrett

Postby Nxdt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Well make sure its not stupidly overpowered or inrealistic. Read the first post before you start so you know the guidelines and rules.

Edit; When are the forums coming. And what should we do whilst waiting; any thing needed done?
Nxdt

Postby RicH » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:27 am

Well, just recruit yourselves and plan. I'll get to the forums later.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:13 am

Its best to join North or South, Mercs are more on the side lines they can only get involved when the ball rolls towards them.
Joining north and south now will give you more of a chance to get a leadership position.
Mystery

Postby RA2lover » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:34 pm

only on the south, looks like iczaque got the north spot :lol:
Jrv wrote:

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Mystery » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:06 am

Btw Rich take me off the staff list when you get the time I want to kick some north butts.
Mystery

Postby RicH » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 am

Okay.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm

I'll join the south team instead of being a merc.
Nxdt

Postby Mystery » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:43 am

Sweet!

Also Algodoo 1.6 or 1.6.3?
Mystery

PreviousNext

Return to Collab forum