Work together on Algodoo projects here.

World War Doo

Postby RicH » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:25 pm

LINK TO FORUM HERE!!!!
Sides:
In the war there will be 2 sides:
North
South

Sides are the main players of the war. Their goals are to gain gold and territory. In order to achieve this, they have to make or buy technology from mercenaries, just so they could have the upper hand on the war.

Each side will have the following: 100,000 Gold (this will be the currency), 1 Major island (which consists of 4 areas) in the map, an army on each of their occupied territories (50 soldiers, 10 vehicles, 5 stationary emplacements), a logo, an HQ (on only one of their occupied territories), and a weapon frequency.

A soldier in the map is a combat-capable(ie. armed) infantry unit on foot or as a vehicle passenger/optional gunner. hovewer, units doing services(like manning a vehicle)count in the soldiers remaining count.
vehicles are divided into 4 categories: Sea, Air, Land, and amphibious.
sea vehicles are unable to move on land and air.
air vehicles are considered as a VTOL plane(because maps will be too small for a runway, in most times)
Land vehicles move on land only, and are powered by a wheel's friction to the ground. rocket cars with a thrust to weight ratio greater than 0.5 will be not allowed.
a stationary emplacement is a structure unable to move.

A side leader will be decided via an election amongst your members. Remember, for an elections to start, you have to have at least 5 members on your side.

Mercenaries:
Mercenaries are the 'providers'. They can give gold, give advanced technology, give support, ally, or even betray any of the sides.
They can serve as 'hired' workers of a side, or remain neutral throughout the war.
Their goal is to gain the most gold and the most technology out of all the other mercenaries.
A mercenary can buy technology from other mercenaries/sides.
A mercenary can serve all the sides at the same time.
A mercenary can attack another mercenary’s HQ in order to gain its gold.
A mercenary cannot claim territory.

Each mercenary will have the following: 10,000 Gold, an HQ (to be placed at the mercenary’s location), a logo, and a custom weapon frequency.

Weapon Frequencies:
Each side and mercenary group has a custom weapon frequency at the start. it will be a geometry's texturematrix(8).
The frequencies can be changed by sides with a one week delay without abortion possibility(exception = battle), and by mercenaries with a 1 day delay.
during a battle, weapon frequency cannot be changed.
each side doesn't know initially what is the weapon frequency of the opposite side, but it can be known by buying/getting it from a betraying mercenary.
no one knows when a side will change their weapon frequency,except it.
changing to the enemy's weapon frequency can be either good or bad, because against some opponents, you can be immune to damage but unable to attack while using heavily thymed weaponry.

Conquering Territories/Waging Wars:
Each side can have 2 vehicles of each type in the map.
a side can only have 2 amphibious vehicles at a time, which still count as a vehicle on the type of land they are on.
In order to conquer a territory, a side must battle with whoever owns the territory they want to conquer. If the territory is unoccupied, the side will have to battle the staff. A war can last for up to a week(if this limit is reached, the staff will check to see who is winning and decide who the winner is) or until a side forfeits/loses.

When you have conquered new territory, you are advised to:
Send an army to your new territory (this costs 1,000 Gold)
Or if the army you used to conquer the territory is still strong, you can station it there.

If a side changes weapon frequency but is still within delay, they will still use the weapon frequency issued to them before the change during that battle.

Managing your territories:
Each conquered territory will earn you 100 Gold every day. This means if you have 5 conquered territories, you will get 500 Gold every day.
We will set ‘hotspots’ weekly on the map to sign where gold is higher in amount. A conquered ‘hotspot’ will earn you 1,000 Gold.

War mechanics:
A war will consist of turns.
The first turn will always be given to the attacker.
Each turn lasts for 1 minute. In this time, one side will be able to command any of its units. It can move, attack etc.
After this minute is over, the simulation is paused. The turn will now belong to the other side.
This cycle will continue until a side can no longer attack, or if it retreats.

Wars will be waged on different kinds of terrain. The map will be our basis on which terrain to use.
There must only be 10 soldiers, 5 vehicles, and 2 stationary emplacements for each side at once. This means if 10 soldiers get killed, you still have 40 more soldiers left to put into battle.

Building Basics:
Anything you build must be breakable(realistically) to some extent. We will test anything you submit.
Anything you build must be proportioned to the basic ragdoll.
No building of stupid/overpowered weapons.
No building of impenetrable armor.
No cutter lasers, or killers(exception = weapon mechanisms)
No changing the opponent's scene.my variables
Scene.my variables should have the prefix of the faction(ie. scene.my.north.tank2.position)
Collision groups allowed: A through E(F and G reserved for map mechanisms).
Use the standard bullets we have provided if you are going to make bullet-firing weapons.
Anything you build must not rely solely on thyme; it must also rely on physical systems.
If you are unsure of whether the things you are building is against the rules, please post here or PM one of the staff.

Staff:
RicH
JDKmedeng
RA2lover

North:
izacque

South:
Mystery
Gear97

TL;DR:
This is a war collab where in two teams are going to fight each other through the use of weapons etc.
The rules aren't complete yet so feel free to suggest. You can also apply to certain positions here.
This collab has been postponed way too long now, so I released it.

GET SIG HERE AND ADVERTISE!!111!!one!!one!!1111!
White version
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.algodoo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1634][IMG]http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/RicH0864/AlgoWar/worldwardoo13.png[/IMG][/url]

Black version
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.algodoo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1634][IMG]http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/RicH0864/AlgoWar/worldwardoo1black.png[/IMG][/url]
Last edited by RicH on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Re: World War Doo

Postby davidz40 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:49 pm

WOW. Great idea!
I want to be a mercenary.
But i don't understand some things well

-What's the weapon frequency? Rate of fire?
-How to post things in such way that not everyone gets it?
-Is changing of scene.my variables of incoming projectiles allowed? (to make thyme protection armor and such)
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby RicH » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Question 1 & 3 could be answered by RA2lover, he's handling that department.
Question 2 though, I can answer that. We're planning on making a forum specifically for this collab. Each team and mercenary will have their own private sub-forums there.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby izacque » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 am

I'll be the north
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby Chronos » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:37 am

You know, instead of a private forum, would using Skype be better? Each team getting a room, and one general room for everyone sounds right.
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby izacque » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 am

sounds good
[/post]
Paradigm 29 wrote:I've been trying to figure out why people even buy hummers ever since I found out that they don't have machine guns.
izacque

Postby RicH » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Chronos wrote:You know, instead of a private forum, would using Skype be better? Each team getting a room, and one general room for everyone sounds right.

The forums aren't just going to be a form of communication, it's also going to be a sort of "record" for the staff.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby RA2lover » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:34 pm

@Davidz:
Answer for Q1: weapon frequencies would be basically a method for your own troops/merc troops not to suffer excessive friendly fire from thymed weapons, and, to a certain extent prevent the enemy from using them :lol:
Answer for Q3: check building basics

RicH wrote:Building Basics:
Anything you build must be breakable(realistically) to some extent. We will test anything you submit.
Anything you build must be proportioned to the basic ragdoll.
No building of stupid/overpowered weapons.
No building of impenetrable armor.
No cutter lasers, or killers(exception = weapon mechanisms)
No changing the opponent's scene.my variables
Scene.my variables should have the prefix of the faction(ie. scene.my.north.tank2.position)
Collision groups allowed: A through E(F and G reserved for map mechanisms).
Use the standard bullets we have provided if you are going to make bullet-firing weapons.
Anything you build must not rely solely on thyme; it must also rely on physical systems.
If you are unsure of whether the things you are building is against the rules, please post here or PM one of the staff.

so, this means stuff like the
EMP cannon would be allowed(to a certain extent, so, no nukes that can turn a thymed war into a phundamentalistic one, max radius should be about 2x the radius of the emp shell), and you could disarm/redirection friendly smart missiles mid-flight, but not the enemy ones(unless you manage to get a overcomplicated, ineffective method for it to work(dr.strangelove-style bomb/rocket/missile riding would be a good example))

btw, first weapon created for the collab
Rating: rated 5.6
Filesize: 49.38 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 2
download
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Nxdt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 am

Sound great. Though I can't help feeling this will end like the war in middle east one did. (Sorry to be negitive)
I'm willing to help out with maps and mabye some other stuff.
I haven't decided what team I'm going to join or wither to be a merc or not so I'll wait till theres more players and go the the team that has the least members.

And two questions,
1. Can two Mercinarys team up and form one HQ for both of the players?
2. How Big should the maps be (1.5km wide, killer planes on either side)?
Nxdt

Postby RA2lover » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 pm

the plan is to get multiple-sized maps, built on-scale to the collab's ragdoll, but average size should be close to 1km wide, with some being as small as 100m wide, and others much larger.

so, i think the maps size should be based on
Close Quarter Battle:0~200m wide, no vehicles
Urban Combat: 150~750m wide, probably no sea vehicles, and a pretty much limited air support and stationary emplacements, because of excessive buildings.
Battle Front: 500m~?, all vehicles(unless its in land), should have a custom vehicle layout indicating how many vehicles each side can carry on battle at a time(except the smallest of them, where the default settings can fit well).
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Nxdt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

I was thinking north and south should be different enviroments, mabye a desert/urban landscape for the south and a mountains/jungle landscape for the north so we know which territory we are fighting for.

Suggestions;
North
  • 1000m Battle front - Mountainous, empty and rough landscape.
  • 600m Battle front - Jungle, several features (trees, buildings etc.), sea for 200m.
  • 300m Urban combat - Town in forest, Few tower blocks and many buildings.
  • 150m Close Quarter - Small village in mountain valley, Lots of features and at different heights.
South
  • 1000m Battle front - Desert dunes, village some features, mainly flat, sea edge of 200m
  • 500m Urban combat - Suburbs, Central river 100m wide broken bridge many features.
  • 400m Urban combat - City, towers, flat roofs, plan to make this all above ground and killer planes all sides.
  • 100m Close quarter - Bottom of city in the streets, lots of features.
These are only suggestions for the maps so they can be changed and anyone can suggest changes and additions. What do you thing of the idea for seperate enviroments?

Edit; Like the ragdoll! ;)
Nxdt

Postby niffirg1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 am

Could i join and be a mercenary?
niffirg1

Postby RicH » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:29 am

I was planning to make a map specifically for the terrain. Unfortunately, I never got to work on it. I think I can start to work on it this Saturday though.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:10 pm

RicH wrote:I was planning to make a map specifically for the terrain.

What do you mean, a map of the world the war is taking place in, or actual maps for fighting on?
Nxdt

Postby RA2lover » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 pm

the world map has already been done. it's going to be a little more complicated than only 8 kinds of terrain
Jrv wrote:

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Nxdt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Oh okay, so does a terrain need to be made for each of those territories? If so I'll make some genertic trees houses etc. that can be saved as phunlets and imported for quick map building. Btw - this looks epic! :D
Nxdt

Postby davidz40 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Just one more question: The vehicles will be autonomous or manually steered. If steered, how controls conflicts will be solved (for example two different things controlled by arrows)?
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Nxdt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:50 pm

We could solve this by giving the vehicles a extra letter and hold that as well as the key we want it to move.
Eg vehicle letter - F therefore you hold key "F" and an arrow key.
Nxdt

Postby davidz40 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Sorry for noob question: How to bind keys in such way?
P.S.
I made arleady a easy controllable antitank missile with delayed impact fuze so it explodes inside tank/bunker :twisted:
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby RA2lover » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 pm

you just need to hold them both while setting controls
Jrv wrote:

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Rrobba » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Sounds EPIC!
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Postby Nxdt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I just wanted to bring up an issue that might effect gameplay a lot. The dreaded thing called LAG. If the maps are going to be of varing size and complexity having aroung 10 vehicles each with treads or guns and tyme working away there will be some serios lag, especially if breakable. Mabye there should be a limit on number of peices in a vehicle, say 200? Hows this issue going to be solved?
Nxdt

Postby RicH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Well, if you make a complex vehicle, don't expect it to last long in the war. There should be no limits, as it can restrain some. Just make sure the vehicle doesn't cause too much lag. Plus, I think my PC can handle that :mrgreen:
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby davidz40 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:57 pm

My first weapon for collab.
Rating: rated 5.1
Filesize: 16.33 kB
Comments: 2
Ratings: 5
download
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby Nxdt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:02 pm

RicH wrote:Well, if you make a complex vehicle, don't expect it to last long in the war. There should be no limits, as it can restrain some. Just make sure the vehicle doesn't cause too much lag. Plus, I think my PC can handle that :mrgreen:

Okay I see what you mean, how fast is your PC?
Nxdt

Next

Return to Collab forum