Standard for Phun/Algodoo Weapons?

Work together on Algodoo projects here.

Standard for Phun/Algodoo Weapons?

Postby poprocks4 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:20 am

I'm talking like standard ammunition and rail systems and (parts?) that could be optional. You don't have to make it standardized, but then, attachments could be more compatible and ammunition could be modified and work in many different guns. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
poprocks4

Re: Standard for Phun/Algodoo Weapons?

Postby davidz40 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:33 pm

i think it's bad idea. phun/algodoo weapons are not intended to be mass/ptoduced or widely used so there's no need for any standards. Moreover, anyone who makes weapon wants to make it on it's own.
Phundamentalist
davidz40

Postby RA2lover » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:24 am

I tried to do something similar once(AC-10, not posted(algodoo migration fail)) used fail-copter's bullets, which were under-sized, under-weighted versions of the AC-20 rounds, which also have been used in the scene number 30000. result was a failure - each gun has its own needs for recoil, bullet speed, and such.

Also, you need to think about some things before making your own bullet:
1- what will be the feeding mechanism, and how much will it hold? for some belt-fed guns, you could attach slots for fitting the chain links onto, while weapons with HIGH ammo capacity will need use of no self-collision to fit onto more bullets with less space
2- How much recoil you will need, with a power fall/rise at which rate? i've seen some weapons with tremendous starting power, and a very small power on the end. usually, this is not very good, especially in weapons with sliding parts. in others, you can need somewhat of a power rise, especially regarding to spring-based sliding parts which need increased constants to work. still, you'll need to determine those 3 very important values:

Spring target length: should be always highier than the barrel length. a very big number, which a very low spring constant, can give nearly constant power, and a nearly-infinite barrel length ability.
Spring constant: determines possible torque. should be high enough to beat the friction
Damping: reduces speed as it gets closer to the target length. unless you want a low velocity gun with less trigger lag, it's good to keep it at a low number. negative damping can prove useful too, in careful aumounts.

3- space it needs to use? self-explanatory
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby StephenAlverez » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:11 pm

You could use a variable for ammo, for my guns I use "scene.my.Ammo" and so there is ammo. This lets you reload infinite times, or only once, and the fact that there is no actual "ammo," only a variable, lets you determine if you want +inf ammo, or only 100 shots, bothe of them taking up no room.
Last edited by StephenAlverez on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beggining and the end.

StephenAlverez

Postby Mechanic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:33 pm

I would like to join, I like to make mechanical weapons.
Mechanic

Return to Collab forum