Some suggestions for algobox.

Things specific to the scene sharing facility "algobox". New scenes, bugs, suggestions, etc.

Please read the potic and chose the answer.

Fully support the syggestion!
56%
There are some good ideas in his suggestion...
33%
This is rather bad suggestion.
No votes
This guy is quite mad! He should get a ban! Trololo!
11%

Total votes : 9

Some suggestions for algobox.

Postby Nait » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

Ok, I'm not a respectable member here, you even can think I'm little bit crazy, but I have my opinion and I want to express it. And I'll be glad if it won't be ignored by Admins/Site Developers. Let's start.

At first, the easiest thing to do - add automatic notification if your scene was commented/subscribed/responded. Yeah, this idea was given up some time ago, but wasn't progressed/commented by admins. Also, subscribing your own scenes is fun, but only for just uploaded scenes. I have 70 scenes, not much, but looking through every of it and adding subscribe is rather exhausting work, don't you think?

Second one, create a specialized forum for users help and tutorials sections, with rules for request/tutorial title and containing. No like now, when questions and tutorials are mixed together and have titles like "Please help", "circle", "Machine Gun", "Please help" (the second one), and one can't even understand, if it's a tutorial, or a question. No wonder that oldfags don't like to help newbies...
As example, easiest title system - user should write it in such way
Code: Select all
[Type][Status][Version]Title
Type - Question/Request and Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced for tutorials
Status - Unanswered/Answered for questions and Requests
Version - (optionally) Version of Algodoo used

The aim of this suggestion is to create a support for newcommers.
TC42 wrote:Well, I got seriously irritated at that lot yesterday, then I realized that it would be better to teach them how to actually use algodoo rather than berate them for their lack of understanding.

Quite sensible idea, don't you think? But however, instead of it we got this
I've been fuming about these scenes since the beginning. If I was admin, these scenes wouldn't last 5 seconds on Algobox. I say get rid of them, all of them, no mercy.

To be honest, I don't understand such hate, when nothing was made to improve the situation.

The third. I should give some precise to second point. I've always wondered - for what the hell there are two different accounts for Algobox and for Forum? I really regret of my rudeness, but this fact destroyed me at all.
What about associating forum and algobox accounts by e-mail? With next registration only one - unique account... And combining forum and algobox abilities, for example make PMing accessible from scene page.
Because newcommers register on algobox, and sometimes, even don't know or want to register on forum...
That's not my fiction, I've communicated with some of them and get really shocked.
To tell the truth, me myself is not glad to communicate on this forum at all. If you want details, i'll tell, but not now.
--------------
This is an exemplary plan, I've thought after traveling on other forums devoted to computer games...

P.S.
Yeah, I'm completely mad, this post will be trolled/deleted, but i'll have clear conscience.

P.P.S
Sorry for my bad english, rudeness and integrity. I don't use to be tolerant and politecorrect (fucking bastard from wild country, yes).
Nait

Re: Some suggestions for algobox.

Postby Kilinich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:16 am

All that problems comes from phunbox time, because Link and prev developers doing their job for free, without any strategy and necessary supervision.
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby electronicboy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 pm

i do kinda agree with most/all of what you have said...

I did send emaunuel a message about the help and tutorials, about changing the description for the help section, OR to make the tutorial section, tutorials and ingame help. He choose to change the description...
I will sort this out later when im on a computer!

Combining forum and algobox accounts has been talked about by the admins, i think that they did plan to do it in the future. (no promise that they still plan to do it...)

As for the message when someone comments on your scene, it was suggested recently, but without any comments from other admins...

Ps, does this layout seam good:

Algodoo Tutorials and ingame help
-in-game help
-tutorials
-tutorial requests

Not really sure of the best way to impliment this, but i will think about it!

Ps, feel free to suggest layouts!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Emanuel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:55 pm

I do believe having too many sub-forums with too few forum members might make the forum feel empty and inactive. It is often better to add sections as the number of members grows.

The tutorial forum is meant for tutorials and the help/bug forum is meant for question, but I guess no one has kept the tutorial forum clean, which makes members believe it can be used for questions too.

/ Emanuel
Algodoo Developer
Emanuel

Postby electronicboy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 pm

okay, fair point, emanuel!

How about an actual section on the forum?
with several subsections?

I believe that the current setup isnt good enought, and needs to be improved...

Maybe

(root)
-Help and support
--tutorials
--tutorial requests (maybe)
--ingame help
--crashes/bugs

Just a suggestion of-course..

Ps, tutorial requests could either be a subsection OR a sticky in the tutorials section
electronicboy

Postby Emanuel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah, that would probably be helpful for new users.
Although I'm not sure what the best method of sorting the Help/Bug forum is.

/ Emanuel
Algodoo Developer
Emanuel

Postby tatt61880 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 am

Isn't it possible to re-create tag system for this purpose?
NOTE: I'm not an Algoryx member.
Hi, Algodoo lovers. Have you read next topic? Featured scenes suggestions
To translators: English.cfg changelog will be useful (even for me).
tatt61880
[Most Helpful Person 2010]

Postby Nait » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Emanuel wrote:I do believe having too many sub-forums with too few forum members might make the forum feel empty and inactive. It is often better to add sections as the number of members grows.

The tutorial forum is meant for tutorials and the help/bug forum is meant for question, but I guess no one has kept the tutorial forum clean, which makes members believe it can be used for questions too.

/ Emanuel

Yea, I have first-hand knowledge of this problem with few members... Ok, lets restore the original layout, delete/sort topics between forums and add "Heading format" topics
- Board index
--Tutorials
---Tutorials & Requests & "Read this first"
--Help/Bug reports
---Help & Bug reports
And when there will be old number of users, update it.

Btw, why don't anybody comment on "Heading format"?
Nait

Postby JotaB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 pm

I need help!!! When I download a file from Algobox, nothing appears when I open the file in Algodoo!!!
JotaB

Postby electronicboy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Welcome to the forums,

Please ensure that you have the latest version of algodoo installed (2.0.1 B4, or 2.0.0)

Algodoo 2.0.1 Beta thread

or

Algodoo download page (2.0.0)
electronicboy

Return to Algobox scene sharing