Rules Point 6.6

Things specific to the scene sharing facility "algobox". New scenes, bugs, suggestions, etc.

Rules Point 6.6

Postby FRA32 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:08 pm

You agree to not use the Service to:[...] 6. Upload a scene that is not meant to be spread as a scene, but should rather be posted on a bulletin board, market place, or other Service not in the scope of the Service's functionalit;

Any bells ringing on that :problem: <hint>Algocamp results, sign-ups, message scenes</hint>

And no, not the typo that is on the end(not my typo)
FRA32

Re: Rules Point 6.6

Postby electronicboy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Yes, We know about that rule, It was me who brought it up during a debate between Emanuel and Xray however, the context of that rule has been partially disputed by Algoryx when I've placed it to them, Xray is trying to do what he can to handle the chaos (I try to stick to the forums), however we are limited by what Algoryx will let us do, especially as they don't want complaints from parents.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby FRA32 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:53 pm

Yeah, the problem is that the parents of little boys are always the first who send the E-Mails, while we semi-adult people "can care for ourselfes or do other things instead", which kinda sucks, since this kinda gives the parents of the kids the "power over algoryx" while we have to watch as the brilliance of algobox withers away. Makes one wish there would be another program just like algodoo, but where we don't encounter small kids and instead can do professional stuff. Unfortunally, algodoo is pretty much one-of-a-kind, so it feels like someone let the kindergarden into the VIP lounge of some place. There has to be a way to limit these kids without alerting worried parents or ripping algobox into pieces...
FRA32

Postby pnvv » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:16 am

FRA, excellent point. I've contemplated several times starting a new website specifically for people who make good stuff. It would be like algobox, except you need to ask the admins before you can join. All the scenes are publicly downloadable an viewable, but only members can post, rate, or comment. What will happen is you need to demonstrate some of the stuff you build, and if it's nice stuff you get in and if it's dumb crap then you don't get in, and if you somehow get in but start spamming MR crap then you can be banned without warning.

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby electronicboy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:32 am

rule 10 in the ToS:
You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service.

What I was considering doing was setting up a nginx proxy and a magical site, so basically, algobox would be replaced with my own creation while the forums would work as normal, Only downside is that all requests would be going by my server which although I have no bandwidth limits kinda causes issues with the whole 'every IP address being the same' and also puts into question the whole security concerns of such a setup (after all, Who wants their requests to be all getting proxied by a server?). It would also require a relatively easy modification to make (adding a entry to the hosts file, for me, easy as heck, for a PC noob, far from) for it to work in a 'replace algobox inside algodoo' type of manner, I'd also need to reverse certain workings of Algodoo in order to sorta get it to work properly... (e.g. checking the actual requests algodoo sends to algobox and duplicating any sorta expectancies and stuff like that, e.g. messages algobox sends to the client in certain instances) which is where this all gets to the really questionable part in terms of agreement to the ToS.
electronicboy

Postby pnvv » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:26 am

So I can't set up a separate site for sharing scenes only? :problem:

What if I did? 8-)

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby electronicboy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:58 am

Technically, there is nothing stopping you creating a site for uploading files to, However implementing something which does all the magical reading of the phz files and pulling thumbnails and stuff would be in a super grey area in accordance to the ToS;

I can't see algoryx actually going against somebody, however it does get kinda iffy should something happen and for Algoryx to get stick for another website...
electronicboy

Postby pnvv » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:59 am

So it would be fine to do that, and chances are Algoryx wouldn't really bother with bickering about it?

(/)(°,,,°)(/)
pnvv

Postby electronicboy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:13 am

Well, Creating a site to upload files to is okay, creating a website which basically clones algobox's functionality is a complete gray area.
I can't really comment on whether Algoryx would have any issues with it, after all, I'm not Algoryx and have reasonably little to do with them in the grand scheme of things.
electronicboy

Postby T'wind_ » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:32 pm

rule 10 in the ToS:
You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service.

So it's allowed if there is no expectation of monetary gain?
T'wind_

Postby electronicboy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:40 pm

10. Algobox PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
You acknowledge and agree that the Service and any necessary software used in connection with the Service ("Software") contain proprietary and confidential information that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws. You further acknowledge and agree that Content contained in copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws protect information presented to you through the Service. Except as expressly authorized by Us, you agree not to modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on the Service or the Software, in whole or in part.
We grant you a personal non-transferable non-exclusive right and license to use the object code of its Software on a single computer; provided that you do not (and do not allow any third party to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any right in the Software. You agree not to modify the Software in any manner or form, or to use modified versions of the Software, including (without limitation) for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to the Service. You agree not to access the Service by any means other than through the interface that is provided by Algobox for use in accessing the Service.

The major concern to the above line is that whole block, as well as the vagueness of the phases location in the sentence 'for any commercial purposes', Does it mean to not 'exploit for any commercial purposes' (This appears to be the most likely one, based upon sentence flow and stuff like that), or does it limit that whole sentence to the limitation on commercial purposes.
Algoryx appear to be a nice company and I doubt that they'd sue over a partial re-implementation of Algobox, however, you never know what could happen if the future.
electronicboy

Return to Algobox scene sharing