Sliding Joints

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Sliding Joints

Postby Laraso » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:11 am

I think I might have suggested this before on the old forums, but never in the official suggestions. A sliding joint is basically a piston. You can see what I am talking about on Incredibots.com. It is much more useful than a spring or having to create a giant one yourself that only moves like half an inch.
Phundamentalist... When possible!
Laraso

Re: Sliding Joints

Postby Rhett97 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:35 am

So basically kindof like a suspesion system thats also a joint??
I dont really follow.
But sounds cool.
Chronos wrote:There's nothing wrong with swearing. They're just words. People just think they have a bad meaning. What's the difference between shit and poo? Nothing. They're the same.
Rhett97

Postby TheWonkits » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:04 am

Basically a pre-scripted hydraulic?
That would be nice... Making your own physics based ones doesn't always work flawlessly, it would be nice to have a hydraulic tool.

But you're right, this was suggested on the old forum before.
TheWinkits: I'm a penis?
Chronos: Yep. I mean hey, you are what you eat.

Inspiration
TheWonkits

Postby Laraso » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:14 pm

TheWonkits wrote:Basically a pre-scripted hydraulic?

Yup, pretty much. I think it would be useful, but I know there are others who have that do-it-yourself attitude that wouldn't really agree with me.
Laraso

Postby ZCW11728 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:59 pm

It ould be a nice addition, but not the top of my priority list. We have snap to grid to make flawless pistons now.
ZCW11728

Postby Paradigm 29 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes. I supported and still support this feature!
Paradigm 29

Postby Chronos » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Paradigm 29 wrote:Yes. I supported and still support this feature!

as did/do i :)
TheWinkits wrote:They both looks of cuking amazing
Chronos
[Most Active Member 2010]

Postby Mr. Universe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes this is great, even with the grid my pistons, when moving heavy objects, implode and the coloisions are pretty much ignored. I would love to see this.
Code: Select all
If post is over then
Print Signature$
end if
Mr. Universe

Postby RA2lover » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:35 am

nah.
if you want a more reliable piston, just constrain it with a linkage(like the A-frame, hoekens linkage, chebychev linkage.... something which will produce a straight line(or an approximation. 4-bar linkages can NEVER do a straight line, if you do the math.))
Jrv wrote:
TC42 wrote:Quite honestly, I didn't think anyone on 4chan has that good a use of grammar, spelling, usage, mechanics, ect.
But I've never been there, so I may be wrong.

GTFO newfgt
RA2lover

Postby Versieon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 pm

The point is that it would be usefull to not have to build complicated pistons or linkages that, in the end, wont work well at high speeds or collision rates. i support this.
Versieon

Postby Laraso » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 pm

RA2lover wrote:nah.
if you want a more reliable piston, just constrain it with a linkage(like the A-frame, hoekens linkage, chebychev linkage.... something which will produce a straight line(or an approximation. 4-bar linkages can NEVER do a straight line, if you do the math.))

The whole point in this suggestion is to eliminate the hassle of having to do this everytime you want to make a piston. As for the A frame, I have no idea what that has to do with anything.
Laraso

Postby RicH » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:06 am

Laraso wrote:
RA2lover wrote:nah.

The whole point in this suggestion is to eliminate the hassle of having to do this everytime you want to make a piston. As for the A frame, I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

You haven't seen the A-frame linkage before, have you?
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Laraso » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:40 am

Actually yes, I have, it comes free with Phun and Algodoo. I don't understand what advantage it would give when creating a sliding joint, though.
Laraso

Postby RicH » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:48 am

Laraso wrote:Actually yes, I have, it comes free with Phun and Algodoo. I don't understand what advantage it would give when creating a sliding joint, though.

As you can see in game, it creates a sort of sliding joint.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Laraso » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:50 am

Not really... It just moves back and forth. (From what I saw anyways.) And besides, even if you can make it a sliding joint, It wouldn't be that reliable (Unable to lift big objects).
Laraso

Postby Sniperkasa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Ooh.. does this mean me and others who complained can have our pogo-stick tool too :clap:
I guess not :problem:
And I personally dont see what this should be used for :| but thats propably my stupidity.. anyone want to clarify?
If you have a question, have a dollar and call somebody that cares.
No really just PM me if you have a problem :)
Sniperkasa

Postby LLamaman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:18 pm

It could be used for engines and walker legs, it would be interesting to make it a part of the spring tool, and have settings to make it stiff (not stretch), not swivel, and control the distance it expands/contracts, almost like Little Big Planet
Algodoo/phun chat group -> http://xat.com/Algodoo_Phun

Build a bot for the tournament! viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3253
Rules available in scene

Dreamland, the weird non-nonsensical adventure where only the laws of fiction apply!
http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details. ... p?id=31336
Try the rest of the series!
LLamaman

Postby Laraso » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:38 am

It could also be used to make guns, that's what I used in Incredibots until someone on their forums started spamming adverts for Phun. That's whenever I started coming here.
Laraso

Postby Sniperkasa » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Well then comes the question.. why not make your own sliding joint and phunlet it?
that way you would have an personally made one instead of a tool for making it..
Sniperkasa

Postby Torpedo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Laraso wrote:Not really... It just moves back and forth.

like a sliding joint? :lol: :lol:

but no i see the point, would make certain things easier.
Torpedo

Postby thebillsta » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 am

Laraso wrote:It could also be used to make guns, that's what I used in Incredibots until someone on their forums started spamming adverts for Phun. That's whenever I started coming here.

haha i started with incredibots too
thebillsta

Postby macunixgeek » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:07 am

+1
Thymer
macunixgeek

Postby Sniperkasa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 pm

thebillsta wrote:
Laraso wrote:It could also be used to make guns, that's what I used in Incredibots until someone on their forums started spamming adverts for Phun. That's whenever I started coming here.

haha i started with incredibots too

And this contributes to this post..how?
Because this is a post.. I want to make something out of it and :
- I still think this is not way too usefull, as you can just phunlet your own sliding joint..
- I personally dont want more shortcut keys to accidentally press / More buttons to the toolbar
- Even if some find this usefull
-> Making your own joint is much better because it will be original
-> You can say the joint was made by you
-> Nobody notices when you put a spring in a scene, cause you have actually just dragged your mouse!
Sniperkasa

Postby Laraso » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Sniperkasa wrote:- I still think this is not way too usefull, as you can just phunlet your own sliding joint..
- I personally dont want more shortcut keys to accidentally press / More buttons to the toolbar
- Even if some find this usefull
-> Making your own joint is much better because it will be original
-> You can say the joint was made by you
-> Nobody notices when you put a spring in a scene, cause you have actually just dragged your mouse!

1: You can create a Phunlet sliding joint, that is the first thing I did when I got Phun. I saw there was no sliding joint tool and I was all like "WTF?!!" and then figured out a way to make my own and made it a Phunlet. Since then I have tried a variety of different pistons and sliding joints and things like that, and none of them were either practical or reliable. Some did a great job, but only moved it like 1 inch and it was 40 meters long.

2: That is your opinion, and should not be considered a legit argument on why we should not have sliding joints.

3: You use the word "if" like no one is going to like this.

4: Not really, should I go around telling everyone they need to make their own springs because its much better because it will be original? The only thing that matters is if the thing you are actually making is yours, what you are making will be original.

5: Sliding joints will not get rid of manually created joints, and I really don't give a crap if someone knows a joint is made by me.

6: I notice springs in scenes all the time, unless they have 0 opacity. And the mouse dragging part... I don't get it. You are making the action of moving a mouse seem like a real accomplishment.
Laraso

Postby Sniperkasa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Laraso wrote:1: You can create a Phunlet sliding joint, that is the first thing I did when I got Phun. I saw there was no sliding joint tool and I was all like "WTF?!!" and then figured out a way to make my own and made it a Phunlet. Since then I have tried a variety of different pistons and sliding joints and things like that, and none of them were either practical or reliable. Some did a great job, but only moved it like 1 inch and it was 40 meters long.

2: That is your opinion, and should not be considered a legit argument on why we should not have sliding joints.

3: You use the word "if" like no one is going to like this.

4: Not really, should I go around telling everyone they need to make their own springs because its much better because it will be original? The only thing that matters is if the thing you are actually making is yours, what you are making will be original.

5: Sliding joints will not get rid of manually created joints, and I really don't give a crap if someone knows a joint is made by me.

6: I notice springs in scenes all the time, unless they have 0 opacity. And the mouse dragging part... I don't get it. You are making the action of moving a mouse seem like a real accomplishment.

1. That is odd.. because I've made a few very good sliding joints myself.. and they moved a lot more then 1inch/30m

2. YES it is my oppinion. It is my oppinion and thats why I posted it here. Nobody should considder it an legit argument.. it's MY oppinion.

3. the word IF points to those who will find it usefull. Not to the fact that nobody would.

4. Meaning the better as in : It looks like you really have put some effort and time in it..

6. I meant.. nobody will think you are some god of the universe just beacause you have clicked on an item.. dragged your mouse.. and released the button..

7. Please dont start the biggest argue ever with me :roll:
Sniperkasa

Next

Return to Suggestions