To prevent things going through walls in many cases...

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

To prevent things going through walls in many cases...

Postby ShnitzelKiller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:50 am

Objects with holes in them, by which I mean like a doughnut shape, if dragged fast through something like water will end up with water inside. Couldn't there be a condition which makes it impossible for water to get in there, since it never should?
Objects should use all accessible area as a boundary, so an object inside a hole in another object would always be pulled back to the center if you tried to pull it out, because a hole never having opened, it is not possible for it to leave until you open one.

This should also work with objects fixated together to form a closed area.
ShnitzelKiller

Re: To prevent things going through walls in many cases...

Postby RicH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:38 am

This is a very old problem, way back when it was still 'Phun'. It is also a common problem in physics engines.
And I'm pretty sure they already know that this problem exists :\
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby ShnitzelKiller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:56 am

RicH wrote:This is a very old problem, way back when it was still 'Phun'. It is also a common problem in physics engines.
And I'm pretty sure they already know that this problem exists :\

I don't mean things going through other things in general, I mean that it should be possible to prevent it in the certain cases described in my post.
ShnitzelKiller

Postby RicH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:11 am

It is still the same problem :\
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby pixartist » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:35 pm

yes there is a way to do that. It's called CCD (Continuous Collision Detection). Although this wouldn't work for particles systems (water)... I already suggested implementing this algorithm about a year ago (especially since it can be perfectly integrated into the regular collision system as other 2d-physics engines prove) but it seems that it never made it on emils todo list...
pixartist

Postby ShnitzelKiller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:36 pm

pixartist wrote:yes there is a way to do that. It's called CCD (Continuous Collision Detection). Although this wouldn't work for particles systems (water)... I already suggested implementing this algorithm about a year ago (especially since it can be perfectly integrated into the regular collision system as other 2d-physics engines prove) but it seems that it never made it on emils todo list...

Darn. I hope he reads this, then.
ShnitzelKiller

Return to Suggestions