Algodoo read-only mode after demo period

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Re: Algodoo read-only mode after demo period

Postby Someone Else » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:01 am

Whatever the suggestion turns out to be, I support it.

Is this correct:
When the Algodoo demo expires, it does not cause Algodoo to seize up entirely, but instead locks all of the tools except play/pause, so you can only watch scenes or play scenes with built-in mechanical/laser controls. However, you cannot build your own scenes.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby Ivan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:08 am

Something like PowerPoint Viewer, but instead of PowerPoint - Algodoo. ;)
This would be good too.
Ivan

Postby FuzzyLogicBrain » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 am

Someone Else wrote:Whatever the suggestion turns out to be, I support it.

Is this correct:
When the Algodoo demo expires, it does not cause Algodoo to seize up entirely, but instead locks all of the tools except play/pause, so you can only watch scenes or play scenes with built-in mechanical/laser controls. However, you cannot build your own scenes.

yeah, but it wont be long untill someone invents a scripted editor. :)
these guys are awesome. <- full stop
FuzzyLogicBrain

Location: when online, on the computer. when not, probably on it anyways. ;D lulz

Postby Rrobba » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 am

Support, as long as it can't be abused.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Rrobba
[Best Sig 2010]

Postby monstertje3 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm

you can build .phn files manually, so it can be abused, however it takes a long time (like positioning geoms)
Basically, there are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouths.
monstertje3

Postby TC42 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I think that after the demo expires, people should be able to either buy algodoo, or purchase the viewer for $5. Then if they bought the viewer, they could buy algodoo for $5 less.

Because if algoryx makes the viewer free, they would probably lose a crapload of money. A way to prevent people from abusing the viewer would be to assigning each scene a code that will allow it to run. If the scene doesn't have the code, it cannot be run in the viewer.
Spambot wrote:Nowadays, memes usually are studied less in the field of biology, but more with the arena of psychology along with sociology. But, the major area of a meme, getting embraced and imitated all the time is what’s at any core connected with any meme.
TC42

Postby electronicboy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 pm

TC42 wrote:I think that after the demo expires, people should be able to either buy algodoo, or purchase the viewer for $5. Then if they bought the viewer, they could buy algodoo for $5 less.

Because if algoryx makes the viewer free, they would probably lose a crapload of money. A way to prevent people from abusing the viewer would be to assigning each scene a code that will allow it to run. If the scene doesn't have the code, it cannot be run in the viewer.

or by forcing load from algobox.
older phi files wouldnt have a code...

another suggestion would be to allow the purchase of cheap time limited licences?
e.g. 1euro for 28 days...

just a suggestion.
and this cost may be reducted from cost of algodoo.

mainly as after 15 hours some users may be a bit shaky over whether they want to buy algodoo (as they hated the object save limit)
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Someone Else » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 am

electronicboy wrote:
TC42 wrote:I think that after the demo expires, people should be able to either buy algodoo, or purchase the viewer for $5. Then if they bought the viewer, they could buy algodoo for $5 less.
Nah, 3.50 euros ≈ $5.04. Algoryx is, after all, Swedish.

Aha, but rampant piracy can actually boost sales. Case in point: A leaked alpha version of some book got out and spread everywhere. This, however, generated so much interest in the book that when it was released on Amazon a month later, people were metaphorically lining up to but it. They would've, too, if there was a print version. But alas, it was an E-book on Amazon. There's honest people like myself and pirates. Honest people won't lose Algodoo money, pirates will, like it or not, pirate and spread the word no matter what you do to stop them.

Like maybe adding a few more encoded lines to checksums.txt?

or by forcing load from algobox.
older phi files wouldnt have a code...
That might also help, as would complexifying the checksums. More incentive to buy the full version!

another suggestion would be to allow the purchase of cheap time limited licences?
e.g. 1euro for 28 days...
For the viewer? I'd support that too. And the total cost of renewing the viewer licenses would be deducted from the cost of completing the license and unlocking Algodoo. So if you continually renew the viewer (28 days of having it on the computer, with a renewed license, whether you use it or not) after, according to WolframAlpha, 1 year, 11 months, and 10 hours, the viewer automatically sends Algoryx a message saying "Viewer License # 4720 7450 7733 5830 5620 has paid for Algodoo, here's a bunch of authentication codes" and you a message saying "By continually renewing the Algodoo viewer, you have in effect paid for the full version of Algodoo! Go to this link, type in this code, and receive your new Algodoo license!"

just a suggestion.
and this cost may be reducted from cost of algodoo.

mainly as after 15 hours some users may be a bit shaky over whether they want to buy algodoo (as they hated the object save limit)
Make it clear that when you buy the full version, the object limit will go away?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Previous

Return to Suggestions