Will Algodoo ever support multi-cored users?

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Will Algodoo ever support multi-cored users?

Postby Alex_Mercer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Hello there people, this is my first post.

I am sorry if this sounds stupid, as I am not a programmer/developer or anyone.

I have an i7 3770 (8 threads) going full speed O/Ced @ 4.5 GHz. Whenever I run algodoo, I noticed that it is only using one THREAD, not even a whole core. I've got 7 more threads sitting around and doing nothing. IF algodoo somehow allowed parallel computing, that would be cool- it will be at least 5-6 times better and faster!

So, what do you think? Does this idea sound... perhaps retarded? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks, and have a nice day! :D
Alex_Mercer

Re: Will Algodoo ever support multi-cored users?

Postby Kilinich » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 am

not gonna happened
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby faytree » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:03 pm

Kilinich wrote:not gonna happened

I Agree,Kilinich. Well,the main Algodoo developer which is Emil Ernenfeldt just left algobox 2 years ago. So yeh
waiting for semester break to come...
faytree

Postby electronicboy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:54 pm

The issue is with the complexity of multi-core processing. You have to have multiple separate programs all communicating with one another, sure, multicore processing for some applications can pull out raw power boosts; however they add a lot of complexity to the applications processing and in some cases the level of work in order to convert an application to run multi-threaded outweighs the advantages of multi-core processing.

Algodoo would need a fair bit of a re-write in order to support multiple cores, which would cause a lot of breakage to existing scenes as well as require development beyond the scope of the current staff (not saying they're not capable, they've proven that one with tools like AGX, however they do have a lot of projects going on with little time to actually cater for these small projects like Algodoo.)
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Alex_Mercer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:11 am

electronicboy wrote:The issue is with the complexity of multi-core processing. You have to have multiple separate programs all communicating with one another, sure, multicore processing for some applications can pull out raw power boosts; however they add a lot of complexity to the applications processing and in some cases the level of work in order to convert an application to run multi-threaded outweighs the advantages of multi-core processing.

Algodoo would need a fair bit of a re-write in order to support multiple cores, which would cause a lot of breakage to existing scenes as well as require development beyond the scope of the current staff (not saying they're not capable, they've proven that one with tools like AGX, however they do have a lot of projects going on with little time to actually cater for these small projects like Algodoo.)

Yeah, well, the truth is sad, eh? Parallel computing... if only it is as simple as media uncode/decodes... if only you can just grab your scissors, cut your cpu die into 8 parts and join it in a series... lel.

By the way, the developer QUIT FOREVER? That is not something keul. I hope he comes back, or at least someone takes over the things...
Alex_Mercer

Postby electronicboy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Emil, the guy whom originally started the project left to move back to where his family lives. Algoryx is capable of working on Algodoo, however as you can imagine taking up a project is a bit of work, and Algoryx has had a lot of working going on over the past year or so with alternative projects.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Return to Suggestions