Could Algodoo be made more accurate?

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Could Algodoo be made more accurate?

Postby Gildon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am

Many times when I am running large simulations with high speeds, strong gravity or many particles, the accuracy of the simulation is no sufficient to obtain reliable and realistic results. Yesterday, for example, I was messing with multiple particles with their own gravity. As a bunch of them would come together to make a planet of sorts, the inaccuracy of the simulation causes many of the particles to end up inside each other (its not calculating their positions and collisions fast enough). This caused a massive explosion that destroying the experiment. Even when you slow the simulation down, it doesnt seem to calculate anything more accurately as the particles still just skip from one place to another. I think it would be nice to have a setting that allows people to increase the accuracy of the simulation by devoting more processing power to the program. Drawing inspiration from the game Kerbal Space Program, they have a setting that allows you to shorten the physics delta time allowing more physics calculations to be done every second.
Gildon

Re: Could Algodoo be made more accurate?

Postby Ivan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:38 am

Hi Gildon!

There is already a setting that allows you to increase the simulation accuracy.
It's called simulation frequency and you can find in the simulation tab in options.
Ivan

Re: Could Algodoo be made more accurate?

Postby electronicboy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Ivan is correct, that setting is the sim frequency value, which performs exactly what you state, it spends more time processing calculations at the cost of CPU time.

Depending on the case situation, making objects to a larger scale can provide a more accurate calculation with less CPU cost then the sim frequency, however, this seams like it may not exactly help in your case.

/Electronicboy
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Return to Suggestions