Multiplayer in Algodoo

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Multiplayer in Algodoo

Postby CaioBrasil » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 pm

It would be great if you had a pacth or release version of Algodoo Multiplayer.
Me and my friend playing, creating cars together, etc.
And a chat to the room.
Could operate in LAN mode
Sending my IP and port for the friend and he walked into the room!
Just a suggestion ...

:D
CaioBrasil

Re: Multiplayer in Algodoo

Postby electronicboy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:45 am

Sorry, this suggestion has been up before, and I can certianly say that I don't think it will happen.

Algodoo would need to be re-wrote for the beginning to provide a server-backend and a client-frontend. This involves more work then the Algoryx team can handle right now, due to the sheer amount of work put into other projects.

The issue with realtime physics, is that there can be no lag between the two systems, impossible over the network, and even impossible over LAN. Interaction between the two wouldnät work properly, and control would be horrible. All processing would have to occur on the server, you can't do the whole, server and client both perform processing, and they both keep each-other up to date, as seen with games like minecraft, they know certain events will happen, so the client can actually be smart and process certain bits.
This issue with real-time physics, is that there isn't a single method of making real-time physics work over a network without the issues of lag, as everything thing has to be done server-side, you can't have the client trying to predict what will happen, floating-point errors will always happen, sure, the error can be less then a pixel, but to algodoo, that makes a hell of a difference. Client guessing could cause sooo many issues, as to the playability of the game on a network.

Maybe in the future when the Dev team have more time on their hands, and the whole world has true fiber-networking with better transmission times, but for now, there is too much in the way with networking. One day, this dream may come true, but, for now, we will always have skype, and teamviewer!
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby Ivan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I agree with electronicboy, but I would be happy with just a few functions and events that would enable users to exchange data using Thyme, which wouldn't be hard to implement. The server would just be used to connect peers that aren't in a LAN or using port forwarding.
Ivan

Postby Someone Else » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:12 am

The thought of Algodoo Multiplayer came into my head a while back when I daw the Algoryx techdemo showing two people editing the same scene at the same time on a Smartboard. That must've been a few years ago.

I think that one way someting akin to Multiplayer could work would be to only sync between the server and client when the scene is paused and sim.time == 0. This wouldn't allow two people on different computers to mess with the same scene while it's in motion, but at least it would allow some sort of collaboration between two people working on two different parts of the same scene.

Physics would only happen on the client; the server only stores a static copy of the scene as it exists before it is simulated.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Postby electronicboy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:57 am

Or, an alternative would be Dropbox?

Me and one of my friends used to share Algodoo scenes over dropbox all the time!
electronicboy

Postby HenrikUp » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm

It would be great also if there are commands that can execute other player in a server :
geometric controller can have
w a s d
t f g h
or for example
other_player.w a s d (this will allow online player can move a figure)

isn't it a good idea?

(PS:sorry for my english i'm italian)
HenrikUp

Postby electronicboy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 am

Multiplayer in Algodoo just isn't possible, the experience would be horrible at best.

And, algodoo's development is pretty much dead.
electronicboy

Postby HenrikUp » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:20 pm

D:

There will not any way to make a private server with hamachi we can't share our experience :cry: ???

Ok.
Someone know a nice sandbox that have multiplayer?
apart minecraft.
HenrikUp

Postby electronicboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 pm

You can share data to different clients if you know how to program, Algodoo allows you to send data back and forth by writing to files, you just have to know how to deal with the files properly.

As I say, the main issue you have is getting data out and in in time. Minecraft can predetermine certain events and simulate them in the client and wait for the server to update, usually replying exactly what the client has already done. With Algodoo, this is virtually impossible, if you was to create a circle directly at 0,0, with a plane with the origin of 0,100 and ran that exact scene on two different machines, due to floating point errors (very tiny errors at best) you will see variations. Its this what Algodoo has to prevent, especially in multiplayer, and the only real way to do that is to either make the system a lot less accurate, or to let the server do every bit of work and sync the changes every frame. All I can say is, think of games like Garrys Mod and Minecraft which has interesting effects. These programs handle it a lot better as they either only grab data from select areas as required, or by syncing changes. With algodoo, this is a massive issue, as even a object connected to a hinge could be considered consistently moving, and there are no hard coded "max speeds" like in the other examples.

Another main issue is that Algodoo was programmed for only one interface, how the hell would you deal with app.mousepos.

Only reasonable method would probably be to abuse Teamviewer, but then you have the issues of only having one mouse to control.
electronicboy

Postby HenrikUp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm a sort of programmer but i'm not very good :roll: (i can only use Game Maker)
and i don't know how to modify Algodoo,I can only create some script such a laser that set density 999 to various things (xD).
This is the final suggestion :
But someone of the staff of Algodoo then why not create another mouse (an in-game mouse) controlled by the keyboard (in offline)
with which to do all the actions that you do even with a normal mouse.
That is an easy thing to create right?
so if i do team viewer also my friend can control a mouse (the in-game mouse controlled for example with the numeric keypad).
Anyway thanks for the idea of Team viewer.
Bye
HenrikUp

Postby electronicboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 pm

We ditched virtual mouses in Algodoo ages ago (well, rendering of a virtual curser) as it became unusable when the FPS dropped a bit too low, so I can imagine this would be even more unusable, especially over team viewer where the mouse can lag behind a bit as the images are sent.
electronicboy

Postby HenrikUp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Ok I'm understand.
HenrikUp

Postby powerphisics » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 pm

RESUME

the feature will destroy Algodoo literally
But, what about JUST online variables?
powerphisics

Postby Redach » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Sorry for the bump, but i think instead of adding a virtual mouse i think it would be cool to be able to connect two mouses and play with two pointers, so one person could control one and another person could control the another pointer.
Redach

Return to Suggestions