Attraction force of a disk

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Attraction force of a disk

Postby lancelot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:58 am

I only just now realized that mathematically the inverse-square force field of a disk is not the same as the field generated by a point mass/charge. In Algodoo they are the same because Algodoo calculates the attraction force only with respect to the center of mass. In fact, the trajectory of a particle in the field of an attracting disk is not a conic (at least not in the general case).

It would be nice to be able to model the attraction force of a 2D shape. Having a way to model point masses is definitely useful too, but maybe there can be an option to tesselate shapes that have the attraction property (and then possibly to use known closed forms for simple shapes).
lancelot

Re: Attraction force of a disk

Postby Someone Else » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:36 am

I agree that the way Algodoo simulates attraction isn't always accurate- probably best demonstrated by this scene by Davids40:
Rating: rated 5.5
Filesize: 26.34 kB
Comments: 3
Ratings: 4
download

It works because the of mass of a C-shaped polygon is in open space, and it is possible to position another grom such that its center of mass is very close to the center of mass of the C-shape, so the force between them is immense, even if the attraction parameter isn't that large.

How this could be improved, well, I don't know. Breaking geoms into a multitude of small attraction pieces would cause a lot of lag...
Does anyone know of any sort of fancy math that would calculate this directly, at least for a circle or box?
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Return to Suggestions