more fluids

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

more fluids

Postby icrls984 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:59 am

I was thinking why an airplane wasn't working and I thought: where's the air in algodoo?

I propose adding different fluids that mimic real-life fluids (eg: air, oil ) to add more realism. Another great addition would be fluid density. That would allow your custom fluids to separate into layers when they are mixed.
icrls984

Re: more fluids

Postby Sonic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:49 am

That would be nice. But there'd be so much lag it'd be unusable.
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Postby icrls984 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:17 pm

You could use it in a 'wind tunnel'.
icrls984

Postby Sonic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 am

No I get what I could use it for. I just doubt the ability of Algodoo to render it efficiently.
I do stuff and break things. You know how it is.
Sonic

Postby electronicboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:50 am

I'm with sonic. And, in most cases, you can replicate wind by spawning circles with a pre-set velocity, that practically all water is, a circle with fancy rendering and a different physics system, which I don't think will help too well with wind simulation.
When asking for help, READ THE STICKIES!
electronicboy

Postby icrls984 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 am

what about density + viscosity then?
icrls984

Postby Xray » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 am

Maybe icris984 has a good point. Currently, Algodoo has air and air movement which is adjustable. You can adjust air velocity and air friction. Why not add density and viscosity to the air system that already exists? If that could be done with computation, then there would probably be little or no lag because the software would not be spawning circles as what it currently does for water creation.

Thoughts?
Xray

Postby RicH » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:14 pm

I actually like that idea. It seems to be more logical. I wonder how Rigid Chips did it.
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Something terrible has happened.
RicH
[Funniest Person 2010]

Postby Someone Else » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:04 am

Having not messed around with RigidChips, I can only guess that it simulates aerodynamic lift as well as drag on the various objects, which Algodoo doesn't. Algodoo could, though, and, as RigidChips demonstrates, it probably wouldn't cause too much lag. For boxes, I think that Algodoo need only take into account the orientation of the box, its velocity, and its shape; for circles, only its radius, velocity, and angular velocity; and for polygons, well, I don't know. Polygons would be complicated, but probably doable.

A while back (read: a few years ago), I remember that someone made an Excel spreadsheet that approxamated the lift and drag forces on a polygon by adding the respective forces on each of its sides, as if each side was a box of its own. Probably not the most accurate approxamation possible, but certainly better than what Algodoo has now.
Matthias Wandel is epic, in my humble opinion.
I love my brain...
TC42 wrote:Also, your sig is too big, please change it.

ARE YA HAPPY NOW?????

Thymechanic/Phundamentalist

Recently, I discovered something a lot of you probably already knew: Minecraft is awesome.
Due to this, I may not be as active as usual for a while.
Someone Else

Return to Suggestions