Elastic objects

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Elastic objects

Postby lancelot » Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 am

I realize this is a hack but the old hinges can be used to model flexible structures:

Code: Select all
Scene.Clear;
Scene.my->{
  m=20;n=3;nel=60;sz=.05;d=.5*sz;rng=[];pts=[];
  hinge=(i0,i1,p0,p1)=>{
    Scene.addHinge({geom0=i0;geom1=i1;geom0pos=p0;geom1pos=p1;size=.2*sz;legacyMode=0})};

for(nel,(i)=>{
    rng=rng++[nel-1-i];
    pts=pts++[[1.75*cos(2*math.pi*i/nel),sin(2*math.pi*i/nel)]]
  });
  Scene.addPolygon({surfaces=[pts,.9*pts(rng)];geomID=m*n});
  Scene.addFixjoint({geom0=m*n;geom1=0;geom0pos=[0,.95]});

for(n,(j)=>{for(m,(i)=>{
    Scene.addBox({pos=[(i-m/2)*sz,(j+10)*sz];size=[sz,sz];geomID=j*m+i;color=[0,.5,.5]})
  })});

for(n,(j)=>{for(m,(i)=>{
    indx=j*m+i;
    i==m-1?{}:{hinge(indx,indx+1,[d,-d],[-d,-d]);hinge(indx,indx+1,[d,d],[-d,d])};
    j==n-1?{}:{hinge(indx,indx+m,[-d,d],[-d,-d]);hinge(indx,indx+m,[d,d],[d,-d])}
  })});

Scene.addThruster({geom=m;relPoint=[-d,0];force=15;size=sz});

pts=[];
  for(15,(j)=>{for(50,(i)=>{pts=pts++[[.05*(i-25),.05*(j-8)]]})});
  Scene.addWater({vecs=pts})
}

It would be nice to be able to tesselate a model and add a similar kind of joints between the parts to simulate elasticity.

Also would be nice to be able to create a standalone screensaver from a simulation.
lancelot

Re: Elastic objects

Postby Xray » Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am

lancelot wrote:I realize this is a hack but the old hinges can be used to model flexible structures:
It would be nice to be able to tesselate a model and add a similar kind of joints between the parts to simulate elasticity.

If I understand what you are asking for, this had already been done by users many times in past scenes. Some scenes had tessellated structures that were created with boxes and some were made with circles. In both cases, hinges were used as the connecting device that gave the structures elasticity. There is also the "Spongify" feature that segments a geometry and turns it into a rubbery structure. I'm not sure if either of those examples is what you are looking for.

lancelot wrote:Also would be nice to be able to create a standalone screensaver from a simulation.

I believe that kind of added feature would require a significant engineering change to the product. Since Algodoo is a physics simulation program, I doubt that Algoryx would dedicate the resources and money that would be required to make such a major addition which is outside the scope of the product specification. There are other, more desirable features that users have been asking for (no, BEGGING for) that Algoryx still has not implemented. But I'm just a lowly user with an opinion, and it's possible that someone from Algoryx will notice your wish-list item and think that it's the greatest idea since sliced bread!
Xray

Return to Suggestions