Magnet Properties

Suggest changes and improvements to Algodoo.

Magnet Properties

Postby Linxeffect » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Magnetic properties will be a good addition to simulate the amount of magnetic force needed to overcome gravity.
Linxeffect

Re: Magnet Properties

Postby Kilinich » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 pm

What exactly do you mean by magnetic force, could you write a formula for it?
Dream of Algodoo as game development engine...
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby Linxeffect » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks for the speedy response. I apologise for not making the suggestion much clearer. Allow me to explain the suggestion in greater details.

Similar to the rocket thruster module which user can assign to an object. Would it be possible to add basic magnet module that users can assign to an object along with the ability to adjust the level of attraction and repelling force of the magnetic field?

I think this as very useful and fun property that many users can experiment with and simulate numerous magnet applications around the world.

Here are some simulations I have in mind:

- To demonstrate to students how an electron magnet (be it cruelly) can pick up metal objects (cars) in a scrapyard, and allow the student to simulate how much magnetic force is needed overcome gravity to pick up X mass (cars).

- To very cruelly demonstrate how the LHC works.

- To visually demonstrate key principles of maglev (magnetic levitation trains), in particular how it minimise friction.

- To show how to create electricity, from a Faraday disc to modern day generator.

I have a lot more ideas I'd like to list but don't wish to bore everyone to death. Nevertheless, I hope the above examples illustrate how adding magnetic property to Algodoo can open a lot more useful and fun simulation possbilities.

Thanks,

Lincoln
Linxeffect

Postby tofi » Sat May 10, 2014 3:52 pm

tofi

Postby Kilinich » Sat May 10, 2014 4:08 pm

tofi wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Calculating_the_magnetic_force

in 2d world, pal, in 2d %)

if you want just attraction/disattraction - it's in material menu.
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby tofi » Sat May 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Then forget about z axis in calculations and you will have 2D, mate. Of course it is all about attraction and distraction, but it doeasn't mean it's about gravity, i.e. three materials - one attracted, second poorly attracted, and third not attracted at all. It's all because of different permeability of them. Gravity will attract them all with same force.
tofi

Postby Kilinich » Sat May 10, 2014 7:46 pm

So basicly you want charges (negative/positive) and forces between them? It's not magnetic btw) it's electrostatic.
Just dedicate collision group for it and play with adding glued "charged" circles with attraction to geoms.
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby tofi » Sun May 11, 2014 2:54 am

In simply - yes it could be done, but it should be simpler way to achieve that. What about ferromagnetic objects and their conduction of magnetic field? Attach a magnet to screwdriver and it contract a screws. Detach it, and screws fall off. It is often used for magnetic shielding.
Now I am trying to put magnets in glass tube. Any suggestions how to group objects on "magnetic" layer with objects on normal layer (i.e. piston). Issue is that simulating magnetism with gravity affect on all objects, and should only works on objects with magnetic properties leaving magneticly transparent objects affected only by dynamic forces.
tofi

Postby tofi » Sun May 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Not charges, but magnetic force. Just another force aside of gravity, air friction, etc. Magnetic force can not exist without magnetic materials, and here comes magnetic properties.
tofi

Postby Kilinich » Sun May 11, 2014 6:09 pm

tofi wrote:Not charges, but magnetic force. Just another force aside of gravity, air friction, etc. Magnetic force can not exist without magnetic materials, and here comes magnetic properties.

Why magnetic not elecrostatic?
What you want to archive in scene.
There will be no changes in algodoo engine for that so if you need something - you could simulate field/force with attraction, collision groups and scrips. Thant all.
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby tofi » Sun May 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Kilinich wrote:[...]
There will be no changes in algodoo engine for that [...]
That's good, minor change - new feature.
Kilinich wrote:[...]
you could simulate field/force with attraction[...]

Wrong. Source of magnetic field doesn't come from from centre of mass.
Kilinich wrote:[...]Why magnetic not elecrostatic?
Because we are in 2D mate. 90 degree vector shift ;). For now Algodoo simulates dynamics, and adding magnets (real ones - click&place) would be usefull. As I mention using gravity for that not resolves issue of materials that are not affected by magnets, ie. glass. I mean not affected by magnetic field.
Adding electrostatic and electricity would be a great next step - simulation of generators, motors, thunder, Tesla gun, etc.
tofi

Postby Kilinich » Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 am

Minor change? You even could not describe what math model you want (sending me to wiki) ;))

"Just gimme magnets! That's easy!" :wtf:

How that could be calculated/simulated? What new properties should goems have? How calculate force according to that properties and general field? Magnetic field in real world affect on electircal current and moving charged particles, it's more complex than electrostatic, but you want it first? :roll:
Kilinich
[Best bug reporter 2010]

Postby namealex20 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:57 pm

hi,
think it's a good idea to include magnets,
properties attraction is for all materials in the design,
only magnets attract or repel each other; and iron, in most cases,
I understand the electromagnetic is very complicated,
would be too much to ask, a material that only interact with elements of the same material in turn have properties of repulsion or attraction directing polarity.
Thank you.
namealex20

Return to Suggestions